• Absence dulls the spring

#87541  by paladinfan12
 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:44 am
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:11 pm
new calls to bring back BB.

In SD's humble opinion...
1. finish Bball practice facility
2. New FB facility ... either field house or indoor training area (with indoor track would help the entire campus)
3. Upgrade some other sports
4. baseball

unless of course somebody wins the lottery and funds it all at once

I love the idea to have an indoor track/football facility the entire campus could use (Vanderbilt had one of these when I was there), but I think that is a little further off and a lower priority than bringing baseball back.
 #87550  by Affirm
 Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:34 am
Affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm
If baseball came back why would we need to add 2-3 womens sports? Currently we have 7 mens and 9 womens. Wofford has 9 mens includng baseball and 10 womens.
Maybe you can use this to ‘work out the math’…FUBeAR doesn’t math in the off-season

Athletic Scholarship Limits: Men's Teams - Men's Varsity Sports 2022-23
Scholarship limit per Team: NCAA I
Baseball 11.7

Basketball * 13
Bowling
Cross Country - NCAA limits include T&F 12.6
Fencing 4.5
Football - NCAA I FCS 63
Golf 4.5
Gymnastics 6.3
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12.6
Rifle - Includes co-ed teams 3.6
Skiing 6.3
Soccer 9.9
Swimming & Diving 9.9
Tennis 4.5
Track & Field - NCAA limits include X-C 12.6
Volleyball 4.5
Water Polo 4.5
Wrestling 9.9

Athletic Scholarship Limits: Women's Teams - Women's Varsity Sports 2022-23
Scholarship limit per Team: NCAA
I
Basketball * 15
Beach Volleyball ** 6
Bowling 5
Cross Country - NCAA limits include T&F 18
Equestrian 15
Fencing 5
Field Hockey 12
Flag Football
Golf 6
Gymnastics * 12
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12
Rifle- includes co-ed teams 3.6
Rowing 20
Rugby 12
Skiing 7
Soccer 14
Softball 12
Swimming & Diving 14
Tennis * 8
Track & Field - NCAA limits include X-C 18
Triathlon 6.5
Volleyball * 12
Water Polo 8
Wrestling 10
If we have maximum in each (unlikely?), my “in-my-head” adding shows about 97 men’s to about 97 women’s for Furman. That is if baseball would be in the total. Also would be IF max scholarships for each sport are made available, which is questionable. Then also don’t we have to be concerned about the actual relative gender makeup M-F %’s of the student body?
Cool - thx for mathing. FUBeAR feels, but doesn’t know, that we prolly max out schollies in any sport we sponsor. Took us a LONG time to get there for Football, but believe we’ve had 63 for a while now. Had 55 when everyone else had 95 and won a bunch of SoCon Championships spottin’ ‘em 40. Just sayin’ …. But FUBeAR digresses … and, yes, FUBeAR believes schollies has to more-or-less mirror the M-F demographic of the overall student body ….that’s 57/43 right now https://www.furman.edu/admissions-aid/ ... t-profile/

So…if we say 97 for dudes (including baseball) and FUBeAR did a little correct mathing, we would need to get to 126 Women’s Schollies … so +29…Rowing (we already have a lake) and Wrestling would get us there. FUBeAR faced off with some dang good FU coed wrestlers back in the day…so it’s a perfect fit also!

Problem solved. Batter up!
Well, the veracity of the feeling or belief, "... that we prolly max out schollies in any sport we sponsor", is something that I would like to actually know. That information is unconfirmed.
Also, I fully realize FUBeAR intended 43M/57F instead of the 57/43 that was typed, but I mention that for the benefit of other readers who somehow may misinterpret.
FUBeAR stated we would need +29, but seems to me that we would need + 40.7 (=29+11.7, since I assume the baseball 11.7 is not just sitting in some account year after year since the 2020-2021 school year and continuing).
$79,924.00 x40.7 = $3,252,906.80 per year additional for athletics scholarships
An interesting consideration might be that women's basketball, women's CC/T&F, women's soccer, and women's tennis have scholarship maximums @ +2, +5.4, +4.1, and +3.5 higher than the same men's sports. So if we are not AT those maximums in our women's sports, but "just equal" to those same men's teams scholarships numbers, then we would possibly have to add correspondingly more women's scholarships for those teams (possibly) before we could add back those "whatever number " of baseball scholarships, in addition to the cost of adding 1 or 2 or more new women's sports to be "proportionately equal". Finally, I will say that I do not know the extent to which "proportionately equal" has has to exist nor how it is defined by Title IX regulations. Also, when we are talking about adding back baseball and adding back 1 or 2 or 3 new women's sports, we are talking about not only the additional costs of scholarships but also the additional costs of coaching staff salaries per team and the additional costs of operational expenses per team.
 #87552  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:18 pm
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
If baseball came back why would we need to add 2-3 womens sports? Currently we have 7 mens and 9 womens. Wofford has 9 mens includng baseball and 10 womens.
Maybe you can use this to ‘work out the math’…FUBeAR doesn’t math in the off-season

Baseball 11.7

Basketball * 13
Bowling
Fencing 4.5
Football - NCAA I FCS 63
Golf 4.5
Gymnastics 6.3
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12.6
Skiing 6.3
Soccer 9.9
Swimming & Diving 9.9
Tennis 4.5
Volleyball 4.5
Water Polo 4.5
Wrestling 9.9

I
Basketball * 15
Beach Volleyball ** 6
Bowling 5
Equestrian 15
Fencing 5
Field Hockey 12
Flag Football
Golf 6
Gymnastics * 12
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12
Rowing 20
Rugby 12
Skiing 7
Soccer 14
Softball 12
Swimming & Diving 14
Tennis * 8
Triathlon 6.5
Volleyball * 12
Water Polo 8
Wrestling 10
If we have maximum in each (unlikely?), my “in-my-head” adding shows about 97 men’s to about 97 women’s for Furman. That is if baseball would be in the total. Also would be IF max scholarships for each sport are made available, which is questionable. Then also don’t we have to be concerned about the actual relative gender makeup M-F %’s of the student body?
Cool - thx for mathing. FUBeAR feels, but doesn’t know, that we prolly max out schollies in any sport we sponsor. Took us a LONG time to get there for Football, but believe we’ve had 63 for a while now. Had 55 when everyone else had 95 and won a bunch of SoCon Championships spottin’ ‘em 40. Just sayin’ …. But FUBeAR digresses … and, yes, FUBeAR believes schollies has to more-or-less mirror the M-F demographic of the overall student body ….that’s 57/43 right now https://www.furman.edu/admissions-aid/ ... t-profile/

So…if we say 97 for dudes (including baseball) and FUBeAR did a little correct mathing, we would need to get to 126 Women’s Schollies … so +29…Rowing (we already have a lake) and Wrestling would get us there. FUBeAR faced off with some dang good FU coed wrestlers back in the day…so it’s a perfect fit also!

Well, the veracity of the feeling or belief, "... that we prolly max out schollies in any sport we sponsor", is something that I would like to actually know. That information is unconfirmed.
Also, I fully realize FUBeAR intended 43M/57F instead of the 57/43 that was typed, but I mention that for the benefit of other readers who somehow may misinterpret.
FUBeAR stated we would need +29, but seems to me that we would need + 40.7 (=29+11.7, since I assume the baseball 11.7 is not just sitting in some account year after year since the 2020-2021 school year and continuing).
An interesting consideration might be that women's basketball, women's CC/T&F, women's soccer, and women's tennis have scholarship maximums @ +2, +5.4, +4.1, and +3.5 higher than the same men's sports. So if we are not AT those maximums in our women's sports, but "just equal" to those same men's teams scholarships numbers, then we would possibly have to add correspondingly more women's scholarships for those teams (possibly) before we could add back those "whatever number " of baseball scholarships, in addition to the cost of adding 1 or 2 or more new women's sports to be "proportionately equal". Finally, I will say that I do not know the extent to which "proportionately equal" has has to exist nor how it is defined by Title IX regulations. Also, when we are talking about adding back baseball and adding back 1 or 2 or 3 new women's sports, we are talking about not only the additional costs of scholarships but also the additional costs of coaching staff salaries per team and the additional costs of operational expenses per team.
All that financial mathing is gobbledygook. Schollies for athletics just don’t work that way. JDVPAD ain’t writin’ a check to ED for ~$16 million to “pay for” athletics scholarships. Anyway…back to FUBeAR’s original position (shoulda stayed with it)…FUBeAR don’t math. You have fun with it.
FUBeAR is available to Coach the Women’s Wrestling Team though…on a volunteer basis…but he’s gonna need some help from the admissions office to support his recruiting philosophies. Bambi and Tiffany, et al, may be 5 stars, but they prolly didn’t overperform in their high school academics.
 #87572  by Affirm
 Wed May 01, 2024 11:47 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:18 pm
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Baseball 11.7

Basketball * 13
Bowling
Fencing 4.5
Football - NCAA I FCS 63
Golf 4.5
Gymnastics 6.3
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12.6
Skiing 6.3
Soccer 9.9
Swimming & Diving 9.9
Tennis 4.5
Volleyball 4.5
Water Polo 4.5
Wrestling 9.9

I
Basketball * 15
Beach Volleyball ** 6
Bowling 5
Equestrian 15
Fencing 5
Field Hockey 12
Flag Football
Golf 6
Gymnastics * 12
Ice Hockey 18
Lacrosse 12
Rowing 20
Rugby 12
Skiing 7
Soccer 14
Softball 12
Swimming & Diving 14
Tennis * 8
Triathlon 6.5
Volleyball * 12
Water Polo 8
Wrestling 10

All that financial mathing is gobbledygook. Schollies for athletics just don’t work that way. JDVPAD ain’t writin’ a check to ED for ~$16 million to “pay for” athletics scholarships. Anyway…back to FUBeAR’s original position (shoulda stayed with it)…FUBeAR don’t math. You have fun with it.
FUBeAR is available to Coach the Women’s Wrestling Team though…on a volunteer basis…but he’s gonna need some help from the admissions office to support his recruiting philosophies. Bambi and Tiffany, et al, may be 5 stars, but they prolly didn’t overperform in their high school academics.
"All that financial mathing is gobbledygook. Schollies for athletics just don’t work that way. JDVPAD ain’t writin’ a check to ED for ~$16 million to “pay for” athletics scholarships."
Perhaps Affirm will eventually understand how Schollies for athletics do work, instead of the way that FUBeAR writes that they just don't work. Of course I realize Donnelly does not write a check to Davis to pay for athletics scholarship. I would think it would work more like the Furman University Trustees and Administration (including POFU and JDVPAD providing money to the athletics department (or maybe to the Financial Aid Office and/or Treasurer's Office or CFO) for athletics scholarships. Affirm will continue reading and listening and will perhaps eventually understand.

Glad to know that FUBeAR is available to Coach the Women’s Wrestling Team on a volunteer basis. Not having to pay the coach saves considerable $$$$$$$
Wrestling would be a great addition to Furman women's sports. For one thing, there are only a handful of Division I women's wrestling programs, including Presbyterian College.
But women's rugby might be even better. For one thing, the scholarship limit is even higher for women's rugby (12, I think) than for women's wrestling (10, I think), helping even more our ability to balance Title IX obligations for when we bring back baseball. For another thing, we already have our rugby pitch (I'm not even sure that's what you call the field, but we do have the field). We already have male interest in rugby in the Furman student body. Why not female. We could have some good D-1 competition with Queens University of Charlotte. We could get the 3 Ivy League women's rugby teams and the USNA and the USMA teams to travel to Greenville for competition.
Let's consider adding both women's rugby and women's wrestling.
I imagine FUBeAR may even be interested in coaching the Furman women's rugby team on a volunteer basis, in addition to the Furman women's wrestling team. No comments about the women's wrestlers and the women's rugby players with regard to Furman admissions or Furman academics. I think they will all be just fine.
 #87576  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 01, 2024 4:25 pm
Perhaps Affirm will eventually understand how Schollies for athletics do work, instead of the way that FUBeAR writes that they just don't work. Of course I realize Donnelly does not write a check to Davis to pay for athletics scholarship. I would think it would work more like the Furman University Trustees and Administration (including POFU and JDVPAD providing money to the athletics department (or maybe to the Financial Aid Office and/or Treasurer's Office or CFO) for athletics scholarships. Affirm will continue reading and listening and will perhaps eventually understand.
Git ur Fazzbee and ur GAAP (Band) on…
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/20 ... iversities
https://www.usg.edu/business_procedures ... on15/C2572
https://egrove.olemiss.edu/cgi/viewcont ... hon_thesis

Once you finish reading, digesting, and fully comprehending ALL of these (and the 2 in the next post cuz stumpy restricts FUBeAR’s # of URL’s/Post), you will be within range of almost being able to sight the surface, which, if you reach it, you can begin to scratch.
 #87577  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 01, 2024 4:26 pm
 #87613  by Affirm
 Sat May 04, 2024 4:40 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:25 pm
Git ur Fazzbee and ur GAAP (Band) on…
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/20 ... iversities
https://www.usg.edu/business_procedures ... on15/C2572
https://egrove.olemiss.edu/cgi/viewcont ... hon_thesis

Once you finish reading, digesting, and fully comprehending ALL of these (and the 2 in the next post cuz stumpy restricts FUBeAR’s # of URL’s/Post), you will be within range of almost being able to sight the surface, which, if you reach it, you can begin to scratch.
Thank you

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.