• Sports Financials

#29461  by Sad Din
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 pm
Continuing with the baseball and lax cuts (bbaseball thread on 29 pages now)

Between baseball and lax, the max scholarships allowed was around 24

Baseball had 35 on the team and lax had 56. Total 91.

Scholarship cost was 24 x 60k = 1.4M

Tuition income from 67 non-scholies is 3.4M. The only way it makes sense to cut is if the 24 scholies can be replaced with paying students and another 67 still are admitted. Dont think FU is on that situation right now
apaladin liked this
 #29464  by Monday
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:07 pm
What’s the point of this? Are you just trying to drum up a ‘Deep State’-like conspiracy theory against Pres Davis or do you really think some quick math on the back of a cocktail napkin is going to advance your argument?
Baseball is gone, maybe temporarily or maybe not. It sucks. It’s bad PR. But it was made with the university’s long term future in mind and not because our President had an agenda.
 #29466  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:45 am
Monday wrote:
What’s the point of this? Are you just trying to drum up a ‘Deep State’-like conspiracy theory against Pres Davis or do you really think some quick math on the back of a cocktail napkin is going to advance your argument?
Baseball is gone, maybe temporarily or maybe not. It sucks. It’s bad PR. But it was made with the university’s long term future in mind and not because our President had an agenda.
With all due respect you are wrong.
 #29467  by Roundball
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:45 am
Monday wrote:
With all due respect you are wrong.
Might as well stop posting. aPaladin has spoken. In his mind, he knows all.
 #29472  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:10 am
bigpurple75 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:28 am
How ironic, Rounball.as this is exactly as I see you.
 #29523  by fufanatic
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 pm
Almost two months into all of this, my opinion has certainly changed on the matter. Do I think that the plan was thought out and done with what was perceived as Furman's best interests in mind? Yes. Do I think that Pres. Davis hates sports or doesn't want to see Furman succeed in the long term? No. Do I think that the rationale makes sense? I'm not so sure anymore. What many on here have been saying from the beginning seems to make a lot of sense from the amount of lost money from non-scholarship team members to the hit PR wise not only in the state but around the country. Not to mention the Title IX reasoning which I think was a lie. It's still stunning to me that this many people care after baseball getting little support in attendance and virtually no chatter on here for years. And I would have loved to have heard the long-term vision of the program because nothing I've seen over the last decade had me believing that anything more than a middle of the road finish with the occasional run at the SoCon tourney was possible. A truly sad moment in Furman sports history to be sure.
Sad Din, apaladin liked this
 #29538  by Sad Din
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:37 pm
fufanatic, thats a great summary!

You are right about baseball support.
First, for many folks baseball in the South is part of the culture. Its just like anything else, taken for granted.
Second, even though success had not be sustained, you could see the potential. Better recruiting and some facilities investments

Football, basketball, soccer, XC, golf and even WTenis are doing great. I guess all were hoping that baseball would follow

We will never know will we....
apaladin, fufanatic liked this