• Redshirting in 2024-25 and beyond

#86992  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:59 pm
Not sure it's worth it anymore with the new landscape of college athletics, if we are somewhat just a farm system for the P6 leagues throwing around tons of NIL money to our best players each year...

Go find the best 13 scholarship players (from all divisions) you can each year (with what scholarships you have available)

This past season Richey was on record saying he wished he had played Bronson, especially with all our injury issues it would have helped, doubt we lose to D2 Anderson when our roster was depleted by 6 scholarship players (Repass transfer, 3 injuries, 2 redshirting) with Bronson out there playing honestly...
Roundball liked this
 #87001  by Paul C
 Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:11 pm
If they’re ready to play, they’re ready to play. If they’re not, they’re not. I can see a redshirt year with a top notch program being a selling point for higher end recruits. Come here for 3 years. Develop your body, your mind and your skills and then go play for a six-figure NIL somewhere for a couple years.
Sad Din liked this
 #87007  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:33 pm
Paul C wrote:
If they’re ready to play, they’re ready to play. If they’re not, they’re not. I can see a redshirt year with a top notch program being a selling point for higher end recruits. Come here for 3 years. Develop your body, your mind and your skills and then go play for a six-figure NIL somewhere for a couple years.
Pretty sure a 'higher end recruit' would want to play if they choose FU

Certainlty think this year was proof that we need more than 10 scholarship players ready to play

Some guys get hurt and some struggle, need to have options over on that bench to find what works
 #87015  by Furmanoid
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:37 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Certainlty think this year was proof that we need more than 10 scholarship players ready to play

Some guys get hurt and some struggle, need to have options over on that bench to find what works
That’s gonna appeal to projects, not high end recruits. But there’s nothing wrong with that. Projects are often big guys. Augusta had a kid who went to music school for HS and only played 1 yr. But he was 7’1”so augusta took this spaz and SLOWLY turned him into a superstar. Got drafted. Did it recently with another 7’1 guy who sat the bench at GA Southern. Those true bigs need time and attention to develop.
 #87016  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:50 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:37 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Paul C wrote:

That’s gonna appeal to projects, not high end recruits. But there’s nothing wrong with that. Projects are often big guys. Augusta had a kid who went to music school for HS and only played 1 yr. But he was 7’1”so augusta took this spaz and SLOWLY turned him into a superstar. Got drafted. Did it recently with another 7’1 guy who sat the bench at GA Southern. Those true bigs need time and attention to develop.

Maybe the recipe is to always have your max 13 scholarships in use and only reshirt at max 1 player per year. I think that's one of the takeaway's Richey can learn and adjust from this past season...
 #87017  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:16 am
Just don’t think playing 12 players works in CBR ‘s system. 9 players is his norm for PT. No sense in wasting a year since the Covid year is gone.
 #87019  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Just don’t think playing 12 players works in CBR ‘s system. 9 players is his norm for PT. No sense in wasting a year since the Covid year is gone.
Did you not learn anything from this season apaladin? lol

I am not saying we have a bigger rotation

I am saying we need depth in case of injuries (see D2 Anderson loss)

I am saying we need options to bench players if they are struggling and have other guys ready for that opportunity

We had none of that this past season...
 #87023  by KingPaladin
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:40 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Did you not learn anything from this season apaladin? lol

I am not saying we have a bigger rotation

I am saying we need depth in case of injuries (see D2 Anderson loss)

I am saying we need options to bench players if they are struggling and have other guys ready for that opportunity

We had none of that this past season...
Not to mention we didn't even use all 13 of our scholarships due to Repass' late departure
 #87025  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 am
Exactly. There is a right balance of having a competitive roster and redshirting young guys for the future. I tend to air on the safe side and would pull one of the redshirts if necessary.
 #87044  by cavedweller2
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:40 pm
Mercenary is a better term. Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner.
bj93 liked this
 #87047  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:31 pm
palafan wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:59 pm
Need to stop using the word "committed" in relation to players that accept a scholarship to play a sport too.
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:40 pm
Mercenary is a better term. Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner.
Currently billeted.
 #87071  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:56 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 am
Exactly. There is a right balance of having a competitive roster and redshirting young guys for the future. I tend to air on the safe side and would pull one of the redshirts if necessary.
Certainly, especially in this new climate...