• Roster Rebuild...

#87157  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 am
HammerTKE wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 am
I've seen a bunch of posts about there being 5 open roster slots to fill entering this off-season. Where is the 5th opening coming from? We had 4 players leave via the transfer portal, and with Nick Anderson now committed, I would think that we have 3 available scholarships remaining. What am I missing?
Repass left last August
HammerTKE liked this
 #87158  by KingPaladin
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 am
HammerTKE wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 am
I've seen a bunch of posts about there being 5 open roster slots to fill entering this off-season. Where is the 5th opening coming from? We had 4 players leave via the transfer portal, and with Nick Anderson now committed, I would think that we have 3 available scholarships remaining. What am I missing?
We only used 12 scholarships last season
HammerTKE liked this
 #87159  by FurmanFan23
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 am
This fills a big need. Great get for the paladins. Offer sheet was pretty good too. Still excited for this year.
HammerTKE liked this
 #87166  by FurmanFan23
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 pm
After much thought, I am super excited for next season. We have 8 players returning. The sky is not falling for FU Hoops. We can still have a winning team this upcoming season. I disagree with the term “roster rebuild”. I think it should be called a “roster retool”. FU Hoops is in a good place!
 #87168  by tya1
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:18 pm
More decisions made. Connor Hickman, the Bradley transfer I mentioned earlier is going to Cincinnati. Wofford guard Chase Martin is transferring to Oral Roberts. He is from Oklahoma so the transfer makes sense. Greenville native Ray Harrison is staying put at Grand Canyon. D 2 transfer Zach Laput picked Davidson
 #87170  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:40 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
After much thought, I am super excited for next season. We have 8 players returning. The sky is not falling for FU Hoops. We can still have a winning team this upcoming season. I disagree with the term “roster rebuild”. I think it should be called a “roster retool”. FU Hoops is in a good place!
When you lose the amount of scoring we lost its a roster rebuild to find a new rotation...
The good news for us is it will be an imediate roster rebuild...
KingPaladin liked this
 #87171  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:45 pm
2 things we need to add, a frontcourt scorer and a backcourt ball handler
 #87172  by furman86
 Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:12 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FurmanFan23 wrote:
When you lose the amount of scoring we lost its a roster rebuild to find a new rotation...
The good news for us is it will be an mimediate roster rebuild...

CBR's comments reminded me that we already have a solid line up of scholarship players -

Forwards -
Hien
Hughey
Vanderwal
Bowser
Molnar

Guards -
P. Smith
Brinson
Humphrey
N. Anderson

That's already a 9-man rotation with proven winners. And we have a few spots to add. Not so shabby.
din23, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #87177  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:03 am
furman86 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:12 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FurmanFan23 wrote:
The good news for us is it will be an mimediate roster rebuild...

CBR's comments reminded me that we already have a solid line up of scholarship players -

Forwards -
Hien
Hughey
Vanderwal
Bowser
Molnar

Guards -
P. Smith
Brinson
Humphrey
N. Anderson

That's already a 9-man rotation with proven winners. And we have a few spots to add. Not so shabby.

Missing depth at the ball handler spot and need a front court scorer as well...
 #87178  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:15 am
Not to mention that 2 of the returning 8 have never played.
 #87179  by Sad Din
 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm
yep. and since they have 5 spots avail (1 already taken) and no current incoming frosh, wouldnt be surprisedif they use 2 more for the current year and try to get 2 frosh that can be redshirted. This would put them back on sched

Need to get a frosh big man to get ready for Hein leaving.
 #87180  by youwouldno
 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm
The current roster includes zero total players who have shown they are above average at the D-I level.

Several have the potential and there are several more roster additions to come, so there's upside, but the "current" rotation would not be at the top of the SoCon next year.
 #87181  by Sad Din
 Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The current roster includes zero total players who have shown they are above average at the D-I level.

Several have the potential and there are several more roster additions to come, so there's upside, but the "current" rotation would not be at the top of the SoCon next year.
true.. but who can be? every good roster has changed.

Even for the top major programs,all those pre-season rankings are no good anymore. Players are still going into the portal and you gotta think there's some "behind the scenes" phone calls being made

Look at the money being spent on players and coaches. This is big business with huge financial benefits. Look at the admissions increase at ole Dins U. Used to be about 4500 year in and year out and they would work like the dickens to get another 100 to apply. Now its at 10,000 and climbing. That has a huge financial impact on the school
 #87182  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 pm
youwouldno wrote:

Good point, a reality check for sure. I was thinking we have been very fortunate in recent years to have at least one or two “stars” to look forward to seeing play the upcoming season. Not this year. Of course JP and MF would have fiilled that role but they are gone. Hoping a newcomer and/or a current player will step up but of course we won’t know that until well into the season.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar NFL DRAFT

by NEPA

Thu May 02, 2024 6:35 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Thu May 02, 2024 2:46 am

Default Avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FurmanFan23

Wed May 01, 2024 10:46 pm

User avatar Ladies Close Tiimmons with a W

by apaladin

Wed May 01, 2024 8:19 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.