• I AM SICK - Pegues

#86341  by fu77fan
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:49 pm
That Pegues has entered the transfer portal.
That is the dang problem with the first player entering the transfer portal, it then can be like dominoes falling.
JP is irreplaceable. IMHO, one of the best players to play at Furman. I will miss seeing him make more clutch shots.
I hope the bleeding stops here !!!
apaladin liked this
 #86346  by fu77fan
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:07 pm
Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
I hope it works out well for him , but I hate it for Furman.
 #86369  by Paladin91
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 pm
This really stinks. Frustrating. Thought we would be ok with loss of Whitt and Foster, but did not expect Pegues to jump.
 #86372  by Dins&Heels
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:35 pm
Depressing losing players you recruit and develop, especially when they’re primed for a monster season next year. So JP especially I legit don’t see a benefit for his basketball future by transferring so that one has to be NIL. As far as the NIL, it’s clearly the Wild West but it beats the ncaa and the universities exploiting the players…they deserve to be paid.

Still hopeful for next season and the future of FU Hoops. Clearly CBR is going to have to utilize the portal more than he’d like.

I also wonder if some players could be viewing the arena renovation as an annoying inconvenience for next season as far as practices as well as games.
 #86373  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:56 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
This really stinks. Frustrating. Thought we would be ok with loss of Whitt and Foster, but did not expect Pegues to jump.
Fully expected JP to leave. One year left, highly sought after, will go to the highest bidder and get a huge raise from what he was making at FU. Probably will not even have to go to any classes. Hate it for Furman but cetainly cannot hold it against JP for taking advantage of his situation.
Roundball liked this
 #86374  by Paladin91
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:56 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Fully expected JP to leave. One year left, highly sought after, will go to the highest bidder and get a huge raise from what he was making at FU. Probably will not even have to go to any classes. Hate it for Furman but cetainly cannot hold it against JP for taking advantage of his situation.
Love to watch JP play and totally understand the opportunity that lies ahead at a bigger school. However, it was a just a year ago that he said he loved the team and how connected they were after the UVA win. I wish him the best, just very disappointed as a fan and alumnus.
dornb, apaladin, jesse174 and 1 others liked this
 #86375  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
As far as the NIL…it beats…the universities exploiting the players…
So, Furman University has been “exploiting” JP Pegues by providing him with a ~$300k education, plus whatever additional benefits he was receiving, as part of Furman’s nefarious scheme to lose money by sponsoring an NCAA D1 Athletics Program?
Bootie liked this
 #86382  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Dins&Heels wrote:
So, Furman University has been “exploiting” JP Pegues by providing him with a ~$300k education, plus whatever additional benefits he was receiving, as part of Furman’s nefarious scheme to lose money by sponsoring an NCAA D1 Athletics Program?
My thoughts exactly FUBeAR, and no players do not need to be paid more than what they already are being paid. Most people don’t realize atheltes are already being paid thru pell grants etc $1,000-$2000 plus a month plus other sources.
 #86386  by Dins&Heels
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:37 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Dins&Heels wrote:
Typical outdated thinking toward “student athletes”: What about their free college ride, aren’t they grateful just to have that?
 #86387  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:01 am
Dins&Heels wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:37 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Dins&Heels wrote:
Typical outdated thinking toward “student athletes”:

What about their free college ride, aren’t they grateful just to have that?
Typical non-response to a relevant question.

There was no “thinking” expressed. There was no commentary on anyone’s FEELINGS - such as gratitude/gratefulness.

Your ‘restatement’ of FUBeAR’s question is not even remotely related to the question FUBeAR actually asked.

Let’s try again…with some timeless thinking (actually facts - not “thinking” or FEELINGS) expressed.

1) No more than about 50 (out of over 1,000) intercollegiate athletics programs in the US are currently profitable.

2) Furman University VPAD Jason Donnelly clearly stated this week in his “Ask the AD” conversation with Dan Scott that Furman is NOT one of those 50 programs.

3) FUBeAR is not privy to the financial statements, but he’s willing to conjecture that no single sport at Furman - including Football & Men’s Basketball - operates profitably. In other words, Furman loses money on each and every sport it sponsors. There is no direct financial benefit which accrues to Furman University (which FUBeAR believes is structured as a private corporation) from sponsoring any sport or even having an athletics program at all.

4) FUBeAR defers arguing the question of whether or not “players” that have been or are associated with those ~50 programs, that are or have been profitable, are being or have been exploited. It is an interesting question and one worthy of hearty debate, but it is well outside the scope of the context of this thread and forum.

5) You stated that “players” are “exploited” in the context of a discussion around Furman Basketball Player JP Pegues’ apparent decision to enter the transfer portal, i.e., to separate himself from Furman’s Athletics program. The implication a reasonable person may infer from your comment is that JP Pegues has been “exploited” by Furman University.

6) The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy defines “exploitation” as follows: To exploit someone is to take unfair advantage of them. It is to use another person’s vulnerability for one’s own benefit.

So, to restate and better state FUBeAR’s original question…

Is it your contention that Furman University has been taking unfair advantage of JP Pegues’ vulnerability - while providing him with a ~$300k education, plus whatever additional benefits he was receiving - as part of Furman’s plan to derive the ‘benefit’ of losing money via sponsoring an intercollegiate Men’s Basketball Team?

If so, how so?

How or why is or has Mr. Pegues, specifically, been “vulnerable?”

How has Furman University capitalized upon or specifically taken advantage of Mr. Pegues’ specific vulnerability to benefit Furman University?

What is the real benefit (over and above associated costs and fair market value of goods and/or services provided by Furman to Mr. Pegues) that Furman University has derived from its association or relationship with Mr. Pegues, exclusively? NOTE: “Exclusively” is an important part of that question. “Exclusively” strips away the additive values of Coaches, Trainers, Teammates, and ALL Athletics and Academic Support Staff provided by Furman University. We must remove all of that to properly assess the value of the unique benefit that Mr. Pegues INDEPENDENTLY provided to Furman University in order to assess if he has been, in fact, “exploited” by Furman University and to what level that exploitation has benefited Furman.

Feel free to respond with an intelligent legitimate answer to the ACTUALLY STATED question(s) or with continued typical keyboard warrior snark. FUBeAR don’t care. He enjoys both - to varying degrees.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
apaladin, FurmAlum liked this
 #86397  by cavedweller2
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:13 pm
I just had flashback to finals. Bear has just proposed a multi-level essay response required question that would make the Furman Professors in my day proud. Good job Bear. I am curious as to the response. As they used to say: Use both sides of the paper if necessary. You have 2 hours.
FUBeAR liked this
 #86410  by Paladin91
 Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:53 pm
JP Pegues has heard from the following schools, he told @ThePortalReport:

Auburn
Arkansas
Mizzou
LSU
Kansas State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Villanova