• How is HC Bob Richey?

#86636  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am
oh oh...

I already began thinking about Bob Richey as soon as I saw that the CofC coach was going to Louisville. I can definitely see CofC taking BR, him accepting it, and him doing very well there. Sorry if we have to see him leave. I wish he would stay at least another 10 years and build something even more special than he already has.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #86637  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm
all the interviews are good coaches. It will be tough competition.

This is the 1st time SD will ever pull against CBR, but hope Bocky gets it
 #86639  by RaleighDin
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm
He talks a lot about staying and developing where you are. How players shouldn't transfer to avoid hard things. If he leaves after his first hard year, does that mean he's full of it? Maybe the players in the locker room figured that out?

Hopefully this is just a leverage play on his part, but I guess we'll see...
 #86640  by youwouldno
If Richey wants the CoC job then he's a goner soon regardless, because that's not a particularly great gig. Weaker conference than the SoCon, better support and pay, but still. More of a lateral stepping stone.

Also not helpful for recruiting players to Furman, so he probably would have declined the interview if he didn't want out. Not a ringing endorsement for the paladins future prospects.

And yes it does point towards the idea that Richey's loyalty talk is a tactic rather than something he actually believes.
 #86641  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
If Richey wants the CoC job then he's a goner soon regardless, because that's not a particularly great gig. Weaker conference than the SoCon, better support and pay, but still. More of a lateral stepping stone.

Also not helpful for recruiting players to Furman, so he probably would have declined the interview if he didn't want out. Not a ringing endorsement for the paladins future prospects.

And yes it does point towards the idea that Richey's loyalty talk is a tactic rather than something he actually believes.
SD thinks this is a little rough on CBR. CBR has been with Dins for a long time. He could have easily left last year

All Dins fans thought he would eventually leave. Its not every year that a job comes open that is attractive. If CofC is one of those attractive one them he has to try. He is from Florence, worked at CHasn South, CoFC had great facility and CHasn is not a bad place to work
 #86642  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm
Sad Din wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

SD thinks this is a little rough on CBR. CBR has been with Dins for a long time. He could have easily left last year

All Dins fans thought he would eventually leave. Its not every year that a job comes open that is attractive. If CofC is one of those attractive one then he has to try. He is from Florence, worked at CHasn South, CoFC had great facility and CHasn is not a bad place to work
 #86645  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm
Bob could have had the Charleston job when it was open a couple of years ago. He turned it down to stay at Furman. I find it hard to believe that he would abandon Furman after a hard year and with the start of the Timmons renovation. In fact, I would terribly disappointed if he left now. The timing is terrible. That said, he is a man of great faith and will do whatever God leads him to do.
dornb liked this
 #86646  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm
Players and Coaches now-a-days throwing out the 'god's plan' BS, it get's a little annoying, we all know what that truly means...

bj93 liked this
 #86647  by tim
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm
youwouldno wrote:

Totally agree about the loyalty talk. Wonder how Samford feels? They extended McMillan yesterday for about 10 years. All these guys are commodities including the players.
Davemeister liked this
 #86648  by tim
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm
Sad Din wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

All Dins fans thought he would eventually leave. Its not every year that a job comes open that is attractive. If CofC is one of those attractive one them he has to try. He is from Florence, worked at CHasn South, CoFC had great facility and CHasn is not a bad place to work
Don't breathe in when the tide goes out.
 #86649  by tim
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm
If CBR heads down I-26 will JG step up or go with him?
I hope it's somebody on staff. I prefer Tim Johnson but that's just me. Need somebody to retain players and navigate this mess.
 #86652  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm
But wait… FUBeAR the Shortsighted was recently told, essentially, that he should feel this way…

“We all gain mutual benefit from the Players’ relationships with Furman, regardless of how long those relationships last or how they culminate academically. As long as we believe the individuals leave Furman as better Men & Women (in some way) and/or with real or perceived better short- and/or long-term opportunities in life (in some way), then we (fans and/or alums) should be pleased and fulfilled by the good work our school is doing for these few individuals and the good feelings those individuals gave us while they were associated with and ostensibly representing Furman.”

…when Furman Athletes depart or are considering departing prior to their expected departure date.

Should we not feel just as ooey-gooey when Furman Coaches depart or are considering departing - regardless of any prior expressions of commitment or loyalty?
 #86653  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm
If CBR heads down I-26 will JG step up or go with him?
I hope it's somebody on staff. I prefer Tim Johnson but that's just me. Need somebody to retain players and navigate this mess.
there are a couple folks that could do well as HC.
SD thinks there was a hire a couple years ago with "HC in waiting" in mind
Also dont forget Jimmy Williams at Anderson

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.