• How is HC Bob Richey?

#86676  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm
Affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm
Maybe CBR would be glad to not have the school he coaches at being distracted by and sharing major resources and attention with football.

I knew it was only a matter of time until Football was cited as the root cause of Furman's BB issues.

Affirm, you nailed it.
You are welcome.
Davemeister liked this
 #86677  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm
I assure you COC would have football if they could. The status of footballs success has nothing to do with basketball. DIdnt we just fundraise to have a major arena renovation? Thats taking money from football! Its the other way around....
 #86687  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm
I assure you COC would have football if they could. The status of footballs success has nothing to do with basketball. DIdnt we just fundraise to have a major arena renovation? Thats taking money from football! Its the other way around....
Are you telling me CofC basketball is not the number one sport at CofC and the number one local sport for the Charleston local overall area; and that that would not be a factor? If not, then what are you saying for understanding why he might want to go there? Just money?
 #86690  by FurmanFan23
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am
Affirm I’m saying Furman footballs success is irrelevant to the basketball team. If COC could support a football team they probably would. Never said CoC basketball isn’t the number one sport at CoC. Most schools make money for their athletic department by having football. At the majority of schools in the country, football is the sport that pays big. I don’t think the argument of FU football distracting Bob is valid. We just fundraised so much money for an arena.
 #86693  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am
We have to have football.
We are not like Bradley, Creighton, Gonzaga, Marquette, Providence, Saint Mary's, Seton Hall, VCU, Xavier, Belmont, or Charleston, all of which can be very successful without football.. None of those schools have to have football.
Coach Richey does not have to have football at the school he coaches to be successful or happy.
Coach Richey could succeed at any (or most) of the above schools that do not have football.
 #86695  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am
By the way, I do not believe Coach Richey is leaving.
It is very believable that people would suggest Coach Richey as a great candidate for the Charleston position.
Additionally, right now, this week and through the Final Four date, I imagine many coaches, including Coach Richey, and many AD's, are in the same locales watching in-person the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, and Final Four games. Right now is a great time to interview and be interviewed. I am not at all surprised if Coach Richey is interviewing with CofC and possibly with some other schools, at the locales of these games.
 #86696  by HoopsFan01
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am
Just don't see him leaving in the middle of the arena being renovated. His best time to leave was after last season. Honestly think he sticks around until the area is completed, then I could see him leaving. I could be totally wrong though.
Roundball liked this
 #86697  by Davemeister
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am
Football is the #1 sport at Clemson but it doesn't seem to be hurting their BB team.
 #86701  by Roundball
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm
Citadel football is #1 in Charleston, not even close.
No. CofC basketball is it in Charleston.
 #86704  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am
Football is the #1 sport at Clemson but it doesn't seem to be hurting their BB team.
They’ve never been to the Final Four.
Even Mississippi State, Georgia, and South Carolina have been to the Final Four.
They’ve never won the ACC Basketball Tournament.
ACC regular season champions only once ever, 34 years ago.
Have been in the NCAA Tournament only 7 more times than Furman has, fewer than every other founding member of the ACC has, and fewer than about 10 of the other current members of the ACC have.
Clemson seems to be relatively not very serious about basketball; and this year’s NCAA Tournament success, which is about to end, will not change that.
apaladin liked this
 #86710  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 pm
So the rumor is these were all just zoom calls, not actual full on interviews...
 #86711  by MNORM
 Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 pm
So the rumor is these were all just zoom calls, not actual full on interviews...
I've conducted plenty of "full on" interviews on Zoom/Webex. What does the remote nature of it have to do with anything?