• Roster Collapse

#85999  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:27 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:29 am
CBR headed to Clemson. Brownell sealed his fate with that debacle in DC last night.
I could see Coach Richey going to the pros before he left to go to any school that depends on college transfers. Coach Richey's DNA is all about growing players. College basketball is now about paying, playing and moving on. It is sickening.
furpop16 liked this
 #86003  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:29 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:27 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:29 am
CBR headed to Clemson. Brownell sealed his fate with that debacle in DC last night.
I could see Coach Richey going to the pros before he left to go to any school that depends on college transfers. Coach Richey's DNA is all about growing players. College basketball is now about paying, playing and moving on. It is sickening.
No way, you think he would “grow” players in the NBA with those peeps. Players rule nba teams not the other way around.
 #86005  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:15 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:03 am
What a difference a year makes.
Yep Dave, I have been thinking about that. On cloud 9 last year. This year wonderng if we can field a team next year. Crazy. Of course we all could be over-reacting and hopefully thst is the case. I hsve confidence in CBR.
furpop16, dornb liked this
 #86009  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:55 am
SD thinks the poster is trolling. And by the looks of the repsonses did a pretty good job

If players look at this logically, there's only a few reasons why a player would transfer:

1. coaching change (like Mercer)
2. on a sinking ship (like VMI)
3. Not getting PT (like Anderson)
4.completely not in sync with coach
5, better offer from another school or to get a better post grad op (like mackey at USC)

The fact is, if Dins can stay together, Dins will be odds on favorites next year. Next year home games at the Well which should be exciting. Then for underclass, opening new tims will be just as exciting

NCAA appearance is a big deal. Look what it did to Slaw

Of those reasons above, SD can see one player in #3 and perhaps one in #4. Although the #4 one is boderline

If players get offers in case #5, cant blame em. Its the new world in sports
Last edited by Sad Din on Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dornb liked this
 #86010  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:13 pm
Just for one example:
Lamont Paris’ new contract (announced today) is estimated to average over $4 million annually, from his current deal at $2.3 million annually.
Yes, I still hope we can continue to keep CBR., even though that seems to be an unrealistic hope.
 #86011  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 pm
affirm wrote:
Just for one example:
Lamont Paris’ new contract (announced today) is estimated to average over $4 million annually, from his current deal at $2.3 million annually.
Yes, I still hope we can continue to keep CBR., even though that seems to be an unrealistic hope.
No disrect for LP, he did well and deserves it. But look the others getting fired after a couple years. There have been plenty of USC coaches that were doomed after that job. Same for CU.

Young at Tech is barely holding on. Wake Forest coach still probably wont make it to tourney

Will Wade had troubles. Justn Gray "upgraded" to CCU

McChillop never left Davy

Bottom line, there's more to it than the contract. It all depends on coaches goals

Boyton was hot as a firecracker on the 4th of July a couple years ago. Now he is unemplyed

#86012  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:49 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 pm
affirm wrote:
Just for one example:
No disrect for LP, he did well and deserves it. But look the others getting fired after a couple years. There have been plenty of USC coaches that were doomed after that job. Same for CU.

Young at Tech is barely holding on. Wake Forest coach still probably wont make it to tourney

Will Wade had troubles. Justn Gray "upgraded" to CCU

McChillop never left Davy

Bottom line, there's more to it than the contract. It all depends on coaches goals

Boyton was hot as a firecracker on the 4th of July a couple years ago. Now he is unemplyed

And some people could remain unemployed for years or could be happy in a lower-paid job for many years after working for a year or 2 in a $2.3 million a year job; even more true than that after a $4 million a year job.
Thanks for giving me a little more hope that CBR will stay at Furman.
 #86013  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:58 pm
Had to look up who Boynton is. Now I know.
(I knew I’d heard the same sometime in the past and thought the was a USC connection, which there is. Plus a Furman connection.)
One 1/11/24 article I saw just now indicated his buyout is around $8 million.
Poor guy!
 #86014  by Davemeister
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:46 pm
Relax, affirm.

CBR will stay at Furman - for now. Don't know of many bigger schools willing to pursue a HC whose team was expected to win the SoCon and ended up 5th, one game removed from a Losing Season. The ADs know CBR is a very good coach, but they would not be able to sell him to their support base at present.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #86015  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:25 pm
Vanderbilt job just opened up.
 #86020  by Mr. Taggart
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:39 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:08 am
Question? How enforceable is an athletic scholly? I had a son that played baseball some years back and those were annual renewable. If it is still that way, I would get mean, clean house get rid of dead wood and sign grad transfers. Is there a limit on how many times a guy can transfer?
I think that may be penny wise and pound foolish. If you get the reputation of not honoring scholarships, it makes people less likely to sign with you in the future.
 #86023  by RaleighDin
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:21 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:39 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:08 am
Question? How enforceable is an athletic scholly? I had a son that played baseball some years back and those were annual renewable. If it is still that way, I would get mean, clean house get rid of dead wood and sign grad transfers. Is there a limit on how many times a guy can transfer?
I think that may be penny wise and pound foolish. If you get the reputation of not honoring scholarships, it makes people less likely to sign with you in the future.
Agreed, I'll never understand the logic of burning everything down after 1 so-so season. Especially when the entire program is built on developing guys. We don't have the NIL to buy some crazy talented roster of transfers...