• Roster Collapse

#86752  by Bootie
 Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:09 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:47 am
Truth.

…and some unknown percentage of fans cares a little less about college sports than they did last year.
palafan, Choir Boy liked this
 #86771  by tya1
 Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:53 pm
Despite what some people think, I guarantee this is NOT what the team will look like next year.

#86773  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 pm
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

Unless something is done to stop this nonsense, that is also the % who will care. There is more team/ player continuity in the NBA now than there is in the NCAA now. If they are all pros, why not watch the best of them? The next move will be to take away the automatic bids for the lesser leagues and the Big Dancers will be the big NIL schools. There goes the “magic”. Let the small private schools go back to using student/athletes who will only get to the NBA by buying a ticket. Competition is competition as long as all teams are on similar levels.
FUBeAR, Choir Boy liked this
 #86780  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:49 am
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

On the positive side, if you have a bad year, there’s no reason to expect the next to be bad. You can turn it around on a dime. If you stay bad more than 3 years there’s a problem.
 #86781  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:55 am
Jasper wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

Unless something is done to stop this nonsense, that is also the % who will care. There is more team/ player continuity in the NBA now than there is in the NCAA now. If they are all pros, why not watch the best of them? The next move will be to take away the automatic bids for the lesser leagues and the Big Dancers will be the big NIL schools. There goes the “magic”. Let the small private schools go back to using student/athletes who will only get to the NBA by buying a ticket. Competition is competition as long as all teams are on similar levels.
Private schools using student/athletes is DIII. Affirm and I have thrown that out there for years and we always get yelled at. But now that it’s obvious DI isn’t real anymore, maybe it’s more appealing. If we could get a big enough group to do it, I think it would be great to go old school. Real college sports! Rah rah shish koom ba!
 #86782  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:08 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:49 am
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

On the positive side, if you have a bad year, there’s no reason to expect the next to be bad. You can turn it around on a dime. If you stay bad more than 3 years there’s a problem.
Everyone can’t be good. Just sayin’
 #86783  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:10 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

Private schools using student/athletes is DIII. Affirm and I have thrown that out there for years and we always get yelled at. But now that it’s obvious DI isn’t real anymore, maybe it’s more appealing. If we could get a big enough group to do it, I think it would be great to go old school. Real college sports! Rah rah shish koom ba!
Geesh, here we go again. I would have no interest in D3 athletics.
 #86787  by furpop16
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote: On the positive side, if you have a bad year, there’s no reason to expect the next to be bad. You can turn it around on a dime.

There ya go! And flush any attitude issues to boot. CBR gets a clean slate. Go FU!
Last edited by furpop16 on Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #86788  by Dins&Heels
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:56 pm
Watching Dalton Knecht for TN, good example of how beneficial the portal can be for a kid’s future. Guessing he would not be talked about as a lottery pick if he had this kind of season still at Northern Colorado.
 #86803  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

We are 2603 enrollment, compared to the following enrollments at other schools, all of which, along with us, are in the top 100 of the US News & World Report ranking of National Liberal Arts Colleges:
Wofford 1800
Davidson 1983
VMI 2138
Lafayette 2729
Colgate 3230
Holy Cross 3233
Bucknell 3787
Richmond 3876.
We should strive always to be equal to or better than all of the above FCS schools, in every sport. Again, the list includes only the schools that are in the top 100 of National Liberal Arts Colleges that play in FCS.
I may be posting related information when I see something being done by any of those schools that I think we should be able to do.
And WE SHOULD OF COURSE ALWAYS DO THE BEST WE CAN TO COMPETE SUCCESSFULLY AGAINST Mercer, Samford, UTC, ETSU, UNCG, WCU, and Citadel.
... by the way ... the smallest FBS school is Tulsa @3832, followed by Army, Navy, and Air Force each in the 4294-4576 range, followed by Rice @8285, and by Wake Forest @8947. I do not think we should seek FBS status.
Last edited by Affirm on Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 19 times in total.
 #86805  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Truth.

Look man, I’m just saying that if you want student/athletes playing rather than pros, that’s D3. You prefer playing against pros with amateur athletes. OK.
 #86806  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:41 pm
Understand but I would rather do away with athletics all together than go d2 or d3. Im old school and the thought of FU not being in D1 is disturbing to say the least.
Roundball, Paul C, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #86808  by tya1
 Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:22 pm
Notes - As expected, Reyne Smith, 6'2' leading scorer for College of Charleston is headed to Louisville with his coach. Also 6'10" freshman James Scott is going to the Cardinals. Smith is a very good three point shooter and Scott was their leading shotblocker and has good potential. That leaves six more CofC transfers still available.

Jake Davis, 6'6" freshman at Mercer, is transferring to Illinois. He shot over 40% from three point range and averaged about 9 ppg. He was not a highly recruited player in high school. Shooters are in demand these days, though.

Tyzhaun Claude, 6'8" 240 junior from Georgia Tech, is transferring again. His third transfer. He started at Morehead State, then went to Western Carolina. He had success at WCU. Not so much at GT.

I thought maybe transfer mania was slowing down but there have been about 60 more today. Maybe it was just an Easter break.