• NIL Collective

#85957  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:52 pm
Does anyone know about Furmans NIL opportunities for Basketball?
 #85960  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:20 am
Furman does have an active NIL Collective. For what it's worth, the IRS has ruled money donated to an Athletic Collective is not tax deductible. I understand several of the basketball players received monies from the NIL at the end of last year. Here is a link to the press release for Furman's NIL.https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/2021/8/20/nil

NIL and the transfer portal is going to make it very hard for mid-majors to be successful, especially teams like Furman that depend on players staying and developing. I hate what is happening in college sports.
 #85964  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:31 pm
Chatt’s beat writer, Gene Henley, who is a hoops guy 1st and, in IFBO, a solid sports journalist, says FU Hoops has the best NIL program in the SoCon…

“Furman will be the most interesting team to watch. To your point, their guys don't leave…NIL program is as good as any in the league so that gives them a chance…”

Is he talking out of his Chatthole?
 #85967  by tim
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:16 pm
Says we had guys "who appeared to check out". That's the way I saw it. Things make a little more sense now. We shall soon see. What a mess.
Roundball liked this
 #85996  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:31 am
NIL is the ruination of college athletics. Now it is all about "I'm gonna get mine." So called student athletes dont exist anymore. They dont have to go to class.
apaladin liked this
 #86001  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:37 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
NIL is the ruination of college athletics. Now it is all about "I'm gonna get mine." So called student athletes dont exist anymore. They dont have to go to class.
Not sure that last part is much different now.

FUBeAR was a big proponent of …

Marvelous Mondays
Terrific Tuesdays
Wonderful Wednesdays
Thrilling Thursdays, and
Fabulous Fridays

…back in his FU days. Never had an FU Prof who ‘took attendance’ and Football / Athletics did not monitor class attendance. A few classes had “Class Participation” as maybe 10% of the overall grade, but FUBeAR just ‘spotted’ that to the Profs and ‘beat them’ on his assignments, tests, and exams without wasting his time sitting through their lectures.

FUBeAR would definitely NOT recommend this Academic approach to ANYONE, but the world WAS a far better place when performance mattered way more than ‘just showing up’ AND dumba$$e$ (like FUBeAR) were allowed latitude to fail.

Also … more topically … NIL is fine … if it were actually NIL compensation based solely upon their INDIVIDUAL ‘brand value’ (vs. the value ascribed to them by merely being an athlete for Whatsamatta U.) …

Funds used to pay players to attend, play, and stay … that are just called NIL … are the ruination of college / amateur athletics. (see FUBeAR’s signature line for further commentary)
 #86002  by MNORM
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:37 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Not sure that last part is much different now.

FUBeAR was a big proponent of …

Marvelous Mondays
Terrific Tuesdays
Wonderful Wednesdays
Thrilling Thursdays, and
Fabulous Fridays

…back in his FU days. Never had an FU Prof who ‘took attendance’ and Football / Athletics did not monitor class attendance. A few classes had “Class Participation” as maybe 10% of the overall grade, but FUBeAR just ‘spotted’ that to the Profs and ‘beat them’ on his assignments, tests, and exams without wasting his time sitting through their lectures.

FUBeAR would definitely NOT recommend this Academic approach to ANYONE, but the world WAS a far better place when performance mattered way more than ‘just showing up’ AND dumba$$e$ (like FUBeAR) were allowed latitude to fail.

Also … more topically … NIL is fine … if it were actually NIL compensation based solely upon their INDIVIDUAL ‘brand value’ (vs. the value ascribed to them by merely being an athlete for Whatsamatta U.) …

Funds used to pay players to attend, play, and stay … that are just called NIL … are the ruination of college / amateur athletics. (see FUBeAR’s signature line for further commentary)
AMEN

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.