• Enjoyed the Ride

#85866  by furpop16
 Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:32 pm
Interesting season. Promises to be just as interesting an offseason.

I've enjoyed the banter - you all are good people.

Go 'Dins.
FUBF24, din23, The_big_pal and 2 others liked this
 #85875  by Paul C
 Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:06 pm
I knew we’d take a step back this year. But the worst thing about this year was that counter to the process Bob has built, where we see constant consistent improvement of each player every year, this year only JP showed any improvement. And as a team, instead of improving during the year we got worse.

Hein was worse. Hughey was worse. Vanderwal was worse. Marcus was worse. Alex Williams went backwards. Whitt never stepped up. Sure injuries had alot to do with that but why no player development or improvement like we’ve seen in the past? That’s the rhetorical question….
apaladin liked this
 #85876  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:21 pm
Thanks to all the players, coaches, support folks and admin.

All SD ever hopes for is an entertaining year. That it was! Plenty of ups and downs but always entertaining

Next year looks bright and also have Timmons reno to look fwd to . Thanks so much

Now on to Wlax, SB, Tennis, Golf, track season!
 #85882  by RaleighDin
 Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:30 pm
Paul C wrote:
I knew we’d take a step back this year. But the worst thing about this year was that counter to the process Bob has built, where we see constant consistent improvement of each player every year, this year only JP showed any improvement. And as a team, instead of improving during the year we got worse.

Hein was worse. Hughey was worse. Vanderwal was worse. Marcus was worse. Alex Williams went backwards. Whitt never stepped up. Sure injuries had alot to do with that but why no player development or improvement like we’ve seen in the past? That’s the rhetorical question….
Definitely not the norm, but the chart doesn't always go consistently up and to the right.
 #85883  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:34 pm
Yep 173 days to the next spectator sport. Let the long drought of FU sports begin. A long hot summer.
 #85897  by tim
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:54 am
I went up for the Saturday WCU game and rode back feeling like we won the national championship. Now I'm griping about a team with a decent 17-16 record. Basketball is like that I guess.
 #85905  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:36 am
Paul C wrote:

It's a little bit tricky.

We knew this was going to be a bit of a "reset" year.

Even with some of the offensive issues, Furman still ended up as the #2 SoCon offense behind Samford. What really fell off was the defensive intensity.

There's still a lot to like with this team going forward in this new era of Furman basketball.
 #85907  by Sad Din
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:04 pm
Paul C wrote:

To be hoonest, SD thinks we have all been spoiled. Any team that loses 3 starters (and big ones) would not have won 10 games the following year. Yet this team showed brilliance at times. Lost some big games they should have won.

If u look at last year, no injuries, same starting lineup all year and super senior leadership

This years team faced many more obstacles. The year can be divided into 4 mini-seasons

1. Youth but still riding high from '23
2. Injuries and big ones
3. Confusion (might not be the right word). Instability on roles and expectations
4.Wreary and tired. One last spurt of success but spent

Goes to show how special '23 was but still, if Dins can keep all together and bring in a player that can fill a key spot quickly, SD is feeling good abt '24 at the Well
 #85909  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:16 pm
Personally I don't consider 17-16 a decent season. I'd call it mediocre. We could have done better this year and will do better next year.

Go Dins!
apaladin liked this
 #85913  by GOAT
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:35 pm
Paul C wrote:

I will never understand the need of grown men to call out kids. No one wants to win more than the players and coaches.
FurmAlum, hypercycloid liked this
 #85917  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm
GOAT wrote:
Paul C wrote:

I will never understand the need of grown men to call out kids. No one wants to win more than the players and coaches.
Criticism is a part of growing up. I'm sure they have experienced far worse. I think most people here try to keep things tame. These boards are not harsh by most standards.
apaladin liked this
 #85922  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:21 pm
GOAT wrote:
Paul C wrote:

They are not kids and the calling out on this board is very mild.
 #85923  by GOAT
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:59 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm
GOAT wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Criticism is a part of growing up. I'm sure they have experienced far worse. I think most people here try to keep things tame. These boards are not harsh by most standards.
Criticism in a public forum is not part of growing up. It only happens in forums like this one. A furman student that makes a 4.0 freshman year and 3.0 Sophomore year does not get criticised in public by Furman graduates that made a 2.5.
 #85924  by fupaladin01
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm
I'm not one to call out players by name, but if you consider they could technically make a grown man's salary in NIL payments (and many in P5 make many times my salary), then I think the time for sheltering them from criticisms on an internet forum is past.
 #85927  by Jasper
 Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:06 pm
GOAT wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Wanting to win and doing something to improve yourself to accomplish that are two different things. We have players who can’t make 1/2 their free throws. That tells me that they did not put in the work to make themselves better. That is not Div 1 college basketball minimum levels of performance. That is a fact that Paul C is simply pointing out. Too many people either went backwards in performance on this team or did not improve at all. We returned 7 of the 9 man rotation from last year. Even losing two great players should not have resulted in a 500 season. We were left without a front court. No one stepped up. That is disappointing to those who thought we were building a program and not a one time thing.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.