• Carter Whitt

#85558  by RaleighDin
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:38 pm
What on earth is going on there? He has a crazy short leash with Richey that makes no sense to me. He's our best penetrator and can get the ball moving on offense. 1 bad shot and he's out, and it's at least the 2nd time recently I've seen that.

Usually I back CBR, but I feel like he's dropped the ball with how he's handling this.

There's too much talent on this team to go so hot and cold on guys over the course of a couple games.
Jasper liked this
 #85564  by Paladin91
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:13 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
What on earth is going on there? He has a crazy short leash with Richey that makes no sense to me. He's our best penetrator and can get the ball moving on offense. 1 bad shot and he's out, and it's at least the 2nd time recently I've seen that.

Usually I back CBR, but I feel like he's dropped the ball with how he's handling this.

There's too much talent on this team to go so hot and cold on guys over the course of a couple games.
I think Whitt is our second biggest playmaker but he often forces things rather than letting the game come to him. With that said, I do feel like CBR has Whitt on a short leash. Then again, I often see that with Hien and Hughey as wel. I also think beyond driving to the basket, Whitt has not had much success this year with the deep shot. And for this reason, I think CBR tends to favor PJ because we know CBR loves the 3 pt game.
Jasper liked this
 #85582  by RaleighDin
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:10 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
RaleighDin wrote:

I think Whitt is our second biggest playmaker but he often forces things rather than letting the game come to him. With that said, I do feel like CBR has Whitt on a short leash. Then again, I often see that with Hien and Hughey as wel. I also think beyond driving to the basket, Whitt has not had much success this year with the deep shot. And for this reason, I think CBR tends to favor PJ because we know CBR loves the 3 pt game.
No doubt he can be careless at times, but I doubt the short leash helps his confidence. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad - and he has some elite qualities that can help us (playing in transition and court vision). Giving him more minutes is more sustainable than running Foster out there on 1 leg, and Pegues and Smith playing mid-30's in minutes, especially in a tournament setting.
 #85585  by purplehorse123
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:25 pm
At one point this season I would have said Carter Whitt was our most improved player. Maybe by next year he will be a better 3 point shooter.
jesse174 liked this
 #85587  by Paladin91
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:39 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:10 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
RaleighDin wrote:

No doubt he can be careless at times, but I doubt the short leash helps his confidence. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad - and he has some elite qualities that can help us (playing in transition and court vision). Giving him more minutes is more sustainable than running Foster out there on 1 leg, and Pegues and Smith playing mid-30's in minutes, especially in a tournament setting.
I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to play more and be involved in the offense. He's a playmaker and has had some really nice passes down low to Bowser. Hopefully he'll be a little more involved in the tournament.
Jasper liked this
 #85603  by NEPA
 Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:18 am
Whitt's playing time reminds me of last year's Joe Anderson's situation.
Jasper liked this
 #85610  by Jasper
 Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:14 am
Playing Whitt and Williams at the same time is essential to the scoring problems we have right now aside from Peques. Whitt sees the court better than anyone on this team and is a strong assist man as a result. His penetration techniques put a lot of pressure on the defense. Yes, he gets out of control too often but his overall contribution is positive. Williams is the best catch and shoot guy we have. Whitt can get him the ball to do what he does best. Right now both of these guys are playing like they have a gun to their head. The best thing CBR do right not is to adjust the PT. The second best is to scrap the "help" defense and go straight mano y mano, especially on the perimeter. Nowadays, everybody can make unchallenged 3's as we see game after game.
Paladin91, jesse174 liked this
 #85614  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:35 pm
Whitt certainly has some skills and has played well at times and has helped the team. He has some deficiences as some have pointed out above. His last made 3 point shot was on Jan. 17th. Since then he is 0-14. Improve this up to between 30-40% and he would warrant more PT.
 #85617  by Jasper
 Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:25 pm
My point is that it is possible to contribute to the offense w/o scoring himself. We all know he is not a good shooter. He does excel at getting the ball to the right guy at the right time. His penetration creates movement on both sides of the ball. Movement creates opportunity. If he could raise his point shooting to near 40% as you suggest, he would deserve a monument much less more PT.
 #85618  by furpop16
 Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:09 pm
Jasper wrote:
My point is that it is possible to contribute to the offense w/o scoring himself. We all know he is not a good shooter. He does excel at getting the ball to the right guy at the right time. His penetration creates movement on both sides of the ball. Movement creates opportunity. If he could raise his point shooting to near 40% as you suggest, he would deserve a monument much less more PT.

He's an enigma. You're right he's "not a good shooter" - his FG% is at the bottom of 10 players - on the other hand he's got the 2nd best FT% on the team (83.3% behind only Pegues at 88.8%) - it just hasn't translated. Also, if we use Asst-TO ratio as a measure of "effort", Whitt's 1.77 is 3rd behind Pegues (2.34) and Pjay (1.82). On the other hand he leads the team in steals (with 39), ahead of PJay (with 36) and Pegues (with 33). An enigma.
jesse174 liked this
 #85623  by RaleighDin
 Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:28 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:09 pm
Jasper wrote:

He's an enigma. You're right he's "not a good shooter" - his FG% is at the bottom of 10 players - on the other hand he's got the 2nd best FT% on the team (83.3% behind only Pegues at 88.8%) - it just hasn't translated. Also, if we use Asst-TO ratio as a measure of "effort", Whitt's 1.77 is 3rd behind Pegues (2.34) and Pjay (1.82). On the other hand he leads the team in steals (with 39), ahead of PJay (with 36) and Pegues (with 33). An enigma.
Bottom line is he makes things happen. Letting Anderson walk in favor of Whitt makes zero sense if you then turn around and sit Whitt like has happened recently.
jesse174 liked this
 #85630  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:58 am
We are a better team when Whitt is on the court. I see that he adds energy, sees the floor and makes things happen. He is the most unselfish player we have. All that said, I don't see his efforts at practice and I don't know his attitude. Coach Richey and his staff have made the decision to sit Carter. I trust Coach Richey.
 #85642  by jesse174
 Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:12 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:25 pm
At one point this season I would have said Carter Whitt was our most improved player. Maybe by next year he will be a better 3 point shooter.
If you look at his stats he has never been a good shooter going back to Wake Forest. He actually improved his shooting earlier this year but has tailed off recently. This group has been poor in shooting with the exception of Pegues and that is why they struggle. Like coach has said it is a make or miss game and when we have lost it is because we miss. The only fix is to make your shots by creating open shots. Guys like Vanderwal we thought had a good shot but not so much this year. Williams has struggled fitting in to the flow of the team and Hughey does not shoot well. Hein has not played up to expectation. PJ is good but could do more..Foster has been hurt .
Going forward we need to somehow beat UNCG and I feel coach will game plan well. Never count Coach Richey out..
 #85655  by FurmanATT
 Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:22 am
NEPA wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:18 am
Whitt's playing time reminds me of last year's Joe Anderson's situation.
Sort of ironic that last season Whitt was a beneficiary of Joe's "situation." I think the world of Whitt, but I miss Joe. -- MD

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.