• Furman @ Samford 2/21

#85221  by tim
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:19 am
Dins&Heels wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:49 pm
How did we not use the final TO on the inbound or on the final possession?? I don’t get it. We choked. Plain and simple.
Yep, with 2.9 sec there’s opportunity for a better final play than that…with or without a timeout.
The shot with 6 seconds to go wasn't much better, Pegues was double teamed, everybody in the house knew who had to take it.
 #85224  by jesse174
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:33 am
Jasper wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:50 pm
Too much to ask of Pegues. He can’t do it by himself. Foster disappears in too many games. Smith is not the shooter or ball handler we were led to belief. 2 of 9 tells me you should not be taking the 9. We are a better team with Whitt. Weakest Furman team at guard in recent years. Any of those non playing freshman guards? Another give away game in a season of them. Wasted a pretty good defensive effort. samford is still OVERRATED
Foster has to be much better...I wonder if his knee is giving him trouble...looked like he was limited in his movement off the ball..he is our second best scorer and disappeared last night. I know he was well defended tho...
 #85234  by purplehorse123
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:37 pm
We snatched victory from the jaws of defeat ….and then snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. At least 5 bad plays after we were up by 3 (wide open 3 by them , Pegues TO off the backboard, terrible inbounds pass by Smith, bad long shot by Pegues and let the guy drive length of court for a layup. Hopefully we will learn from our mistakes.

Kudos to Pegues for being lights out in the second half, to Vanderwal for his hustle and to Hein for his hustle. Would have been an AMAZING COMEBACK.

We need Alex back!
QCGlue liked this
 #85242  by jesse174
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:01 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:58 pm
Furman has dropped some heartbreakers this season. -- MD
#Paladins fall in final seconds, 74-72. https://wellpilgrim.wordpress.com/2024/ ... yer-74-72/
What a good article here...I feel one of the problems is when we play a team with 10-12 players rotating in and out we dont have enough depth..the team gets tired and then misses shots. They have a lot of players and go 100 percent almost the whole game. We are not used to having to play against the press all the time and it showed last night. We did not shoot well and at that pace it is hard to shoot well. Legs get tired..When we beat them earlier we shot better and we were home as well. Having an extra good shooter that is physical will help when we play them again...we need Williams!!
FurmanATT liked this
 #85245  by fu77fan
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:00 pm
Lots of blame to go around. Sammy scored 5 points in 1 second at the 39 second mark.
The 3 point shot followed by Marshall’s 2 free throws. We had the game won. I hate it. Pegues deserved better! One of the best performances I have ever seen by a Furman player.
FurmanATT, QCGlue liked this
 #85252  by jesse174
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:47 pm
the best I've seen in a long time...totally clutch...I would like to see him featured earlier in the game..
 #85257  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:51 am
jesse174 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:01 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:58 pm
Furman has dropped some heartbreakers this season. -- MD
#Paladins fall in final seconds, 74-72. https://wellpilgrim.wordpress.com/2024/ ... yer-74-72/
What a good article here...I feel one of the problems is when we play a team with 10-12 players rotating in and out we dont have enough depth..the team gets tired and then misses shots. They have a lot of players and go 100 percent almost the whole game. We are not used to having to play against the press all the time and it showed last night. We did not shoot well and at that pace it is hard to shoot well. Legs get tired..When we beat them earlier we shot better and we were home as well. Having an extra good shooter that is physical will help when we play them again...we need Williams!!
Not to argue but we never see a team rotating 10-12 players in and out. Even last night SU played 10 but 2 of those played less than 10 minutes. I looked at our last 5 games and no one played over 10 players and 7-8 players got the vast majority of minutes in every game, so our oppnents are doing the same as FU using 7-8 players.
 #85260  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:18 am
Finally got around to watching the replay as I didn’t see it live. Did not realize JP scored FU’s last 23 points in less than 7 minutes. He scored 27 of the last 29. When he hit his last 3 to put us up 70-67 he wasn’t even on the screen he was so far out. What a performane. A shame it wasn’t rewarded with a W. That last 40 seconds was hard to watch. Really don’t understand why you have the shortest guy inbounding the ball. A plethera of mistakes that last 40 seconds. I’m not saying anything about the refs. We got a good idea what Timmons will look like seating wise. Looks like they had about 10-11 rows which is what Timmons will have according to renderings.
FurmanATT, jesse174 liked this
 #85267  by DoomedDin1127
 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:43 am
I think I like us in the 4 spot for the tournament. Furman has matched up better against Samford than UNCG. It would be nice to get another shot at the bulldogs in the semi and face the winner of Chatt/UNCG for the final.

Of course, that would bank on Furman getting past Wofford or WCU in the first round. At the end of the day, you gotta beat the best to be the best. Go Dins!

PS- I'm no basketball player, but Samford's style of play seems to be taxing to play in a tournament. I could be totally wrong, but 3 days of... that... seems exhausting.
jesse174 liked this
 #85283  by jesse174
 Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:18 am
Finally got around to watching the replay as I didn’t see it live. Did not realize JP scored FU’s last 23 points in less than 7 minutes. He scored 27 of the last 29. When he hit his last 3 to put us up 70-67 he wasn’t even on the screen he was so far out. What a performane. A shame it wasn’t rewarded with a W. That last 40 seconds was hard to watch. Really don’t understand why you have the shortest guy inbounding the ball. A plethera of mistakes that last 40 seconds. I’m not saying anything about the refs. We got a good idea what Timmons will look like seating wise. Looks like they had about 10-11 rows which is what Timmons will have according to renderings.
Learnig from these mistakes is critical going forward
apaladin, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.