• Furman @ Samford 2/21

#85204  by Dins&Heels
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:49 pm
How did we not use the final TO on the inbound or on the final possession?? I don’t get it. We choked. Plain and simple.
Yep, with 2.9 sec there’s opportunity for a better final play than that…with or without a timeout.
 #85205  by Paladin91
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:56 pm
That was more like “Bubba ball”. Refs let it get out of control early. Not really concerned that we lost this late. PJ should have called a timeout. Samford is scrappy but very beatable in the tournament. If we hit even 25% of our 3s in the first half, we win by several points. We need to find a way to score more points early. Happens every game on the road it seems.
 #85206  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:56 pm
Boy we’ve had our share of late game collapses this year.

That last 47 seconds was horrific.

Credit to Samford and Marshall for not giving up
din23 liked this
 #85207  by jesse174
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:57 pm
another loss after Pegues saved us...we've had a lot of those this year...just not a good year for us despite Pegues greatness...nobody can make a shot except Pegues on this team
 #85208  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:59 pm
Just noticed Marcus Foster was 1-7 from the field and 1-7 from 3. In other words he didn’t attempt a 2 pt FG tonite. That’s not good.
 #85209  by Paladin91
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:00 pm
Let’s quit with all the badmouthing of the team. Sure, the 3s weren’t falling for PJ or Foster, but everyone out there fought. Some of the comments here are ridiculous.
furmandad, hypercycloid liked this
 #85211  by FurmAlum
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:13 pm
Great effort tonight except for the poor shooting in the first half. Pegues was magnificent. It's a shame we totally melted down the last minute of the game.

1. How did Campbell get that wide open for the 3 pointer?
2. Why not call timeout on the in bounds play that wasn't working?
3. Why let Pegues dribble out the whole shot clock and then take a very poor shot with 3 guys on him?
4. Why let Marshall dribble the whole length of the floor and shoot a layup?
5. Why couldn't we get a better shot with 2.9 seconds? Tulane got one with .8!

We had the game won but poor late game execution and panic at the end ruined a career night for JP.

I still like this team in the tournament though and I like a return matchup with Sammy on a neutral court without the homer Refs. The problem is going to be getting to the matchup with Sammy.
 #85213  by FurmAlum
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:19 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:00 pm
Let’s quit with all the badmouthing of the team. Sure, the 3s weren’t falling for PJ or Foster, but everyone out there fought. Some of the comments here are ridiculous.
Agree with P91 including my previous comments. Just need to forget about this game and be ready to play on Saturday.
 #85214  by tim
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:13 pm
Great effort tonight except for the poor shooting in the first half. Pegues was magnificent. It's a shame we totally melted down the last minute of the game.

1. How did Campbell get that wide open for the 3 pointer?
2. Why not call timeout on the in bounds play that wasn't working?
3. Why let Pegues dribble out the whole shot clock and then take a very poor shot with 3 guys on him?
4. Why let Marshall dribble the whole length of the floor and shoot a layup?
5. Why couldn't we get a better shot with 2.9 seconds? Tulane got one with .8!

We had the game won but poor late game execution and panic at the end ruined a career night for JP.

I still like this team in the tournament though and I like a return matchup with Sammy on a neutral court without the homer Refs. The problem is going to be getting to the matchup with Sammy.
Richey said a guard missed a switch on Campbell. It looked like Vanderwal was trying to call time out.
 #85215  by Jasper
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:50 pm
Too much to ask of Pegues. He can’t do it by himself. Foster disappears in too many games. Smith is not the shooter or ball handler we were led to belief. 2 of 9 tells me you should not be taking the 9. We are a better team with Whitt. Weakest Furman team at guard in recent years. Any of those non playing freshman guards? Another give away game in a season of them. Wasted a pretty good defensive effort. samford is still OVERRATED
 #85216  by Riz Dawg
 Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:10 pm
I was at the game. VanderWal very clearly called time out after the last basket, so I looked away. Next thing I knew, the ball was flying through the air and the horn was sounding. I have no idea why they didn’t grant us the time out. (Actually, I don’t have any idea why that crew made most of the calls they made tonight. The older official was just terrible all night.)
 #85218  by Roundball
 Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:04 am
The Roar had a great discussion on refs a few weeks ago. All refs in the nation are independent contractors. In other words, there is no such thing as SoCon refs, ACC refs, etc. The top rated refs get paid the most. Sometimes I wonder if the SoCon pays the lowest amount so it gets the worst officials. Tonight, they were awful.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by Affirm

Sat May 25, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar The future of G5 football?

by Affirm

Sat May 25, 2024 3:44 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by KingPaladin

Sat May 25, 2024 2:40 pm

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by KingPaladin

Sat May 25, 2024 2:37 pm

User avatar Fred Norman Jr in the portal

by apaladin

Sat May 25, 2024 12:11 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.