• Vs UNCG

#84691  by purplehorse123
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 pm
Wow! An amazing game. A brutal loss. Truly a game of inches . So many “single plays” could have won it for us. Proud of our effort. I thought one of our better games of the year against a UNCG team which played great.

Random thoughts:

Pegues is a stud. Back-to-back 3’s in last two mins were amazing. The final 3 was like a late 3 he missed against Citadel-it was from the opposite side. All his big late 3’s since UVA have come from the same side of the court.

Foster is another stud. Both two of the many great players to be at Furman.

Hopefully the guys who have regressed this year can find some mojo and get hot before the tournament. Our “supporting cast” needs to step up in a big way.
apaladin, FurmanATT, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #84694  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:54 pm
Great game. Big loss as that eliminates any chance for second and means it will take 3 tough wins to win the tourney. Kudos to UNCG for taking FU’s best shot and coming out on top. Both teams shot far better than normal. Uncg was 13-22 from 3. Hard to beat a team that is shooting like that. Great atmosphere. Timmons was rockin’.
Everyone is going to need three tough wins to win the tournament. Just get the bye.
 #84695  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Great game. Big loss as that eliminates any chance for second and means it will take 3 tough wins to win the tourney. Kudos to UNCG for taking FU’s best shot and coming out on top. Both teams shot far better than normal. Uncg was 13-22 from 3. Hard to beat a team that is shooting like that. Great atmosphere. Timmons was rockin’.
Everyone is going to need three tough wins to win the tournament. Just get the bye.
Well one and two will have an easier first game.
 #84696  by cavedweller2
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:00 pm
Maybe. You never know come March.
 #84698  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Mercer just beat UNCG and citadel all but did beat us. No one is an easy out. Just hope next time we see the Spartans it is without the Langleys.
QCGlue liked this
 #84699  by fu77fan
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:03 pm
Close but no cigar! A great game! I am proud of our effort. We could have easily won the game. Had one or two plays gone our way, we would have won.
One play that comes to mind was when Whitt’s 3 point shot with less than 10 minutes to go went in and down but then much to my amazement came back out. I hate it. A game of inches for sure.
If we play like we did today moving forward I think we should do well .

Go Furman
 #84700  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:48 am
apaladin wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
And, that noon start for the top seed is a great advantage.
din23, apaladin liked this
 #84701  by jesse174
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:34 am
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 pm
Wow! An amazing game. A brutal loss. Truly a game of inches . So many “single plays” could have won it for us. Proud of our effort. I thought one of our better games of the year against a UNCG team which played great.

Random thoughts:

Pegues is a stud. Back-to-back 3’s in last two mins were amazing. The final 3 was like a late 3 he missed against Citadel-it was from the opposite side. All his big late 3’s since UVA have come from the same side of the court.

Foster is another stud. Both two of the many great players to be at Furman.

Hopefully the guys who have regressed this year can find some mojo and get hot before the tournament. Our “supporting cast” needs to step up in a big way.
I think Hughey is my dark horse at the 5. He is tough and can play good defense...hopefully he makes the jump..
 #84704  by Bootie
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:59 pm
The play that sticks out for me in this game was wHen Langley (0) stole a pass on our end and took it down for a layup, then turned around and took a lazy inbound pass right out of the air.
Roundball, apaladin, FurmanATT and 1 others liked this
 #84705  by paladinfan12
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 pm
That was a hard game - and hats off to UNCG, they looked good. Both of the coach's kids (Langley's) were outstanding, as was their big man Brown-Jones. I thought UNCG was the better team mostly because of how they how they were able to get great open looks and then drain all of their open looks (shot 60% from 3). Furman also played great, and the guard play and ball movement with Smith, Pegues, Whitt, Williams, and Foster is a thing of beauty.

I thought Furman's defense could've been better, and they had some questionable calls against Hien, but their problem is that they really don't have any bigs who can distribute, shoot, and pound the boards like we've had in years past (Mounce, Gurley, Slawson). I hope Furman can figure it out by SoCon tournament.
QCGlue liked this
 #84706  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:01 pm
I was impressed with how well coached and disciplined UNCG is. They made the extra pass time after time. UNCG is the best SoCon team I have seen so far.
QCGlue liked this
 #84708  by Paladin91
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:44 pm
UNCG played a great game - they had a nice combo of interior and outside plays. Keyshawn Langley was on fire - if he plays that way in the tournament, they'll be difficult to beat. Our lack of an inside game continues to haunt us. Last year, we could pop the ball into Slawson and he could either take it one-on-one to the basket or pop it back out to a guard for an open shot. I thought Hughey played better but he needs to quit with the ticky tack fouls - just too many of them this year. Hien takes himself mentally out of the game following the two quick fouls he had. Bowser is still at least a year away. If I'm CBR, my #1 goal is finding a 6'-8 to 6'10 big man transfer that can provide immediate offense. This will create better shot opportunities for our guards if we have someone inside that can take it to the rim or bounce it back outside. I love when Pegues and Whitt drive to the basket but more often than not our small bigs can't handle the ball or are not open. We got stuffed several times by UNCG due to our lack of height on the inside. And as much as I love Vanderwal's hustle on the court, I feel like he's afraid to take an open shot these days - just super hesitant. Not sure what's going on there. I hope we continue to improve over the next few weeks, playing our best ball going into the tournament.
Roundball, QCGlue liked this
 #84710  by palafan
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm
Missed free throws is a huge problem for this team.
dornb liked this
 #84711  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:22 pm
palafan wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm
Missed free throws is a huge problem for this team.
I agree with games before Saturday. Yes, the missed one at the end hurt, but 23-27 is great for a full game.
Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.