• Furman at The Citadel, Wed., 7 p.m.

#84604  by FUBF24
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:32 pm
That win definitely took years off my life... but man can we just talk about Marcus Foster for a sec? He was the real MVP this game, getting 17 pts, 15 rebs, and 7 assists. Can't do it much better than that! Also props to PJay Smith coming off the bench, and of course, JP "Clutch" Pegues. We're back up to 4th in the Socon with WCU and Woffy losing
furpop16, Sad Din liked this
 #84605  by furpop16
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:33 pm
19 Assists on only 10 turnovers ... and that was consistent half-to-half (10 assists on 5 TOs at the half)
 #84609  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:49 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:28 pm
Unbelievable comeback. Maybe saved the season. I really liked Vanderwal driving to the basket and finally finishing one and getting that dunk. I wish he would do that more often. He also hit a three. First one in a long time.

PJ also hit some big shots, as did Foster and Pegues.

El Cid gave a great effort and would have won it if they had hit their free throws. I'll take the win.
Losers know how to lose and they did. We tried our best to give to them in regulation and OT. In regulation we get 2 free throws the last 4 plus minutes until JP’s heroics. In OT we are up 5 with under a minute and never get another shot off because of TO’s. Just happy Citadel is Citadel and we won. Kudos to JP and especially Marcus Foster. We would have a much better record without Foster’s missed games. Pjay had a good game too.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #84622  by FurmanATT
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:49 am
I watched the game with the sound off so that I could listen to Dan and Tom. Dan was exceptional as ever, and I expect he found comfort in returning. He was doing what he does.
The game was one big, gigantic escape. I don't think they had it all the way, but a come-from-behind, overtime win is good. See you Sunday. -- MD
https://wellpilgrim.wordpress.com/2024/ ... del-82-79/
furpop16, dornb liked this
 #84623  by tya1
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:12 am
We somehow came back for the victory so you have to ultimately be proud of the fight. Cutting the margin to 11 at the half from 18 was probably a key to the comeback in the same way that the terrible finish to the first half at Wofford was a key to the defeat. Wish I knew what the reason for the early bad starts was.

I think we have to hope that the improvement in defensive pressure we have seen lately can continue. The inconsistent three point shooting combined with the lack of a low post scoring threat creates big holes to climb out of.
 #84625  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:16 am
tya1 wrote:
We somehow came back for the victory so you have to ultimately be proud of the fight. Cutting the margin to 11 at the half from 18 was probably a key to the comeback in the same way that the terrible finish to the first half at Wofford was a key to the defeat. Wish I knew what the reason for the early bad starts was.

I think we have to hope that the improvement in defensive pressure we have seen lately can continue. The inconsistent three point shooting combined with the lack of a low post scoring threat creates big holes to climb out of.
I'm a glass half full guy.

I see a team that lost some experienced veterans from last year and has only two seniors on the roster.

We knew this season was going to be a bit of a reset. But I believe games like this - winning in Charleston on the road - are going to pay dividends later. The team is going to continue to improve, learn, and grow.
 #84627  by KingPaladin
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:35 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:19 am
As an aside -

If you are playing Furman with the game on the line, I do not see how you let JP Pegues get a shot off.
I would face guard him, Marcus, and Alex with all five players and see what happens
 #84629  by Sad Din
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 am
Conroy answers the big question....

Leading 72-69 with less than 16 seconds to play, the Bulldogs’ plan was to foul Pegues before the shot attempt and send the Paladins to the free throw line.

“There was a little confusion on executing what we work on in practice,” said Citadel coach Ed Conroy. “Up three, we want to foul in that situation and that’s on me, I’ve got to do a better job of communicating. We were trying to foul on their previous possession, too. We didn’t execute those fouls down the stretch.”
 #84630  by Sad Din
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Pegues making sure the Cadets have that "Furman experience."

Listen closely and look at one of the fellas dressed in white at the right as he offers some "words of encouragemnt" to the Dins, LOL

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 7:22 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by Flagman

Fri May 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Default Avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by Affirm

Fri May 17, 2024 2:49 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.