• Vs Chatt

#83867  by Paul C
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:18 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:58 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:32 pm
I sent this to a friend of mine in the second half…..

Me in Nov - our whole team is coming back next year. We’re gonna be awesome!!

Me in Jan - our whole team is coming back next year. We’re f**ked.
Come on, your past couple posts have been just dumb. I get it, you're angry. You're also the one who said this year is entirely about building for next year, and any success would just be gravy. We've had 12 different starting lineups due to injury and illness. A team that we knew would need some time to learn their new roles hasn't even been able to define their roles yet. And you want to start running guys off? We already ran Repass off - start doing that consistently and it's the quickest way I can think of to sink this entire thing. CBR talks about work while you wait, developing the whole person, bloom where you're planted... None of that means jack if he starts cleaning house just like everyone else.

I'll be shocked if this entire conversation doesn't seem stupid by mid-Feb if Foster comes back on time and they have a few weeks to figure things out.
Hope you’re right.

I thought this year would trend up. It’s trending down. I get the injury situation has wreaked havoc but we were down one guy tonite.

Look at KenPom, we are 338th in defensive effective FG%. 358th in non steal turnover % 284th in forcing turnovers.

This team is missing some key pieces and no one has really stepped up yet.

Sure, maybe someone will, but that seems more like a hope than an expectation.

And as I said the other day, I’m not gonna name names, but we’ve got more than a few guys that have regressed this year.

Hope it turns around but I’m not optimistic. Wish it weren’t that way as I’m usually the optimistic one…..
 #83868  by jesse174
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 pm
Agree with apaladin..the problem is the key current support players to JP and MF have not improved. What I suspect when we were playing well in the beginning of the season was that everyone was comfortable in their roles. As people got injured, the team production suffered and they have not recovered from these changes. So the team that beat Belmont is not the same team that is playing now and we will have to see if that team can recover and be what they were at the start of the season. Hopefully that will happen.
 #83871  by Paladin91
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:00 am
Went to the game last night - real disappointment. Real lack of effort defensively in the first half. We played much better D in the second half but too little too late. We really seem to lack movement from supporting players - they are not getting open. I also believe we were getting a lot of double teams on slawson and bothwell last year that opened up a lot of lanes. We are not seeing that from opposing Ds this year as they play man to man.
We are really lacking quality shooters - just atrocious as the year goes on. If Bronson can shoot, I still say lift the redshirt. This team needs massive help at this stage. We have no inside game - our guys were getting stuffed left and right last night. Aside from finding quality shooters, CBR really needs to find a true 6’7-6’9 power forward that can play at the rim.
apaladin liked this
 #83872  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:33 am
I don’t know much about basketball but I did score 24 points in a church league game before the 3 point line and the way I see it we just need to quit shooting the 3 ball. Set up in half court and run an offense. We are good enough to win that way. I also agree that Molnar and Bowser need to play more. At least cut down the 3 point shots by 75%. While I love Whitt’s Henry Steele intensity someone needs to tell him to take it down just a hare and get back under control.
 #83873  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:03 am
Cave- I have to disagree. CBR has said the way they are set up they hsve to shoot the 3 to be successful. If we shoot them halfway decent we win if we don’t we lose. Don’t see any evidence we would be successful playing 2 ball. Remember the other team would still be shooting the 3’s. We are not big by any stretch, we have too many shots blocked and miss way too many layups, short range shots. Another thing lacking this year is fast break points. We were very suuceesful last year getting down the court but not this year.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #83874  by Davemeister
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:17 am
I don't know what's going to happen with this team, and that's what makes things interesting. Go Dins!
 #83875  by Sad Din
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:56 am
SD likes winning just like the next ole guy with nothin to do but follow Dins sports but... to be honest, even when looking back at the early season projections by Massey and Warren Noland, these 1st two games were going to be Ls. The projected records were something like 14-4 with these two Ls and Ls away vs UNCG and Sammy.

So as bad as things seem, Dins are on sched records wise. The outlier was Anderson.

Still lots to play for... 14-4 and even 12-6 is acheivable
 #83880  by furpop16
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:32 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:17 am
I don't know what's going to happen with this team, and that's what makes things interesting. Go Dins!

Yep. I find I’m in this to root for Bob Richey as much as I’m in this to root for the team.
dornb, Bootie liked this
 #83882  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:43 pm
Great articles by both SJ and MD. In the first half from the 14:23 mark to the 1:00 mark FU missed 16 shots in a row and had 6 turnovers. Thank goodness utc cooled off to but FU said we will show you cold. I think CBR said it best “to be good shooters you have to have confidence and we have lost all confidence”. Wonder if the 13:23 without a basket is a FU record albeit a negative one. Some positives:
1. We had our 15 minutes of fame last year and no one can take it away.
2. Football season starts in less than 8 months.
3. Still have a half season to play, so not giving up.
4. See y’all Wednesday!
FurmanATT liked this
 #83884  by tya1
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:00 pm
Horrible shooting game, but I appreciated the hustle and determination in the second half. We had 11 steals and forced 17 turnovers. That kind of defensive effort will lead to victories. These guys are going to start making shots. Alex Williams is going to shoot better than 1- 11 and J.P. Pegues better than 0-8 from the three point line. P. J. Smith went scoreless. This was an outlier game for a bunch of guys. No reason to think it will continue all season.
 #83896  by jesse174
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:58 pm
scrap the quick 3 and concentrate on ball possesion . Make opponent play defense. The worst thing we can do is take quick 3s with nobobody underneath...it gives their defense a break...make defense work..
 #83924  by soconjohn
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:26 pm
I don’t think it’s the 3pt shooting as much it is 3pt shot quality and ball movement…that’s where the breakdown is…the ball isn’t snapping around like it was when Furman played in Myrtle Beach or at Tulane…Not sure why that is…The good news here is Furman has best coaching staff in the league and talented players…They will fix it.
Roundball liked this
 #83935  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:59 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:58 pm
scrap the quick 3 and concentrate on ball possesion . Make opponent play defense. The worst thing we can do is take quick 3s with nobobody underneath...it gives their defense a break...make defense work..
With all due respect we are not a half-court team. We are not a great ball-handling team which leads to turnovers, we are not moving the ball. Like CBR said its not that we are missing 3’s its that we are not shooting enough of them because of lack of confidence which leads to passing up open shots.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.