• What's wrong with Williams?

#83793  by PacoTisdale
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:13 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:00 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:17 pm
Not worth burning RS for a game or two. Especially when they’ve probably not been as well prepared as not been in the rotation.
I see your point and know that RS stuff is fashionable these days. What is it they are supposed to be learning while redshirting? A system? Basketball is basketball. Too much is made about “systems and schemes”. These guys are scholarship players in college now. Most of them were all someplace or other in high school. They don’t have to learn how to dribble, pass, shoot etc at this stage of the game. Put the damned ball in the basket, bust your ass on the boards and live in the jock of the guy you’re guarding and you win games. Simple. If a kid can play, he can play as a freshman and he sure as hell is showing that in practice. We were barely able to put 7 men on the court tonight. That is terrible.
Disagree with basically everything said here. #1 our offense does take awhile to get accustomed to. A lot of the concepts are completely foreign to kids coming out of high school. #2 a big part of redshirting is the physical component and getting them a body that is ready for the college game. #3 sometimes there are just not enough minutes to go around so there’s no point wasting a scholarship year to have excess people in your rotation. In the current scenario do you really think it’s worth wasting a whole year of their Eligibility after wasting half the year not playing, just to have a deeper bench for a few games? #4 sometimes I feel like people on this website completely ignore the way this program has been successful. We rely on development. Maybe this year we haven’t seen the improvement from players as we have in the past but overall our system is a blueprint for success. Redshirting has been a HUGE part of this development. Clay mounce, Noah Gurley, Marcus Foster, all redshirted. Noah was not at all ready to play his freshman year, cut to a couple years later and he’s starting on an SEC team. I’ll take Richey’s way of doing it vs telling them to “Put the damned ball in the basket, bust your ass on the boards and live in the jock of the guy you’re guarding”.
GOAT, Bootie, din23 liked this
 #83796  by Dins&Heels
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:04 pm
PacoTisdale wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Not worth burning RS for a game or two. Especially when they’ve probably not been as well prepared as not been in the rotation.
I see your point and know that RS stuff is fashionable these days. What is it they are supposed to be learning while redshirting? A system? Basketball is basketball. Too much is made about “systems and schemes”. These guys are scholarship players in college now. Most of them were all someplace or other in high school. They don’t have to learn how to dribble, pass, shoot etc at this stage of the game. Put the damned ball in the basket, bust your ass on the boards and live in the jock of the guy you’re guarding and you win games. Simple. If a kid can play, he can play as a freshman and he sure as hell is showing that in practice. We were barely able to put 7 men on the court tonight. That is terrible.
Disagree with basically everything said here. #1 our offense does take awhile to get accustomed to. A lot of the concepts are completely foreign to kids coming out of high school. #2 a big part of redshirting is the physical component and getting them a body that is ready for the college game. #3 sometimes there are just not enough minutes to go around so there’s no point wasting a scholarship year to have excess people in your rotation. In the current scenario do you really think it’s worth wasting a whole year of their Eligibility after wasting half the year not playing, just to have a deeper bench for a few games? #4 sometimes I feel like people on this website completely ignore the way this program has been successful. We rely on development. Maybe this year we haven’t seen the improvement from players as we have in the past but overall our system is a blueprint for success. Redshirting has been a HUGE part of this development. Clay mounce, Noah Gurley, Marcus Foster, all redshirted. Noah was not at all ready to play his freshman year, cut to a couple years later and he’s starting on an SEC team. I’ll take Richey’s way of doing it vs telling them to “Put the damned ball in the basket, bust your ass on the boards and live in the jock of the guy you’re guarding”.
I agree, it’s been working for our program and I’m sure even our top recruits are well-aware there’s a good chance they’ll be redshirting. That being said, next year’s team will be just as deep so hopefully we can retain.
 #83802  by Paul C
 Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:48 am
Ok so now we’ve established our recruiting class last year was a bust haha. Remember how bad Slaw and Bothwell were as Freshman? Gawd, yall.

As far as Roundball’s question about does RS make sense now with the more liberal transfer rules, I would say yes. Part of it’s due to the teamwork required to play effectively in our system. It takes time. And will we lose some transfers ? Sure. But will we be able to keep some guys for 5 years that will be 10x the player in year 5 than they were in year 1? Absolutely.
Roundball, furpop16, din23 liked this
 #83811  by Jasper
 Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:32 pm
PacoTisdale wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Paul C wrote:
And I totally disagree with all the trendy nonsense you are spouting about “systems” et all. You put a Shammgod Wells type player on this team and they run away with the league. He don’t know didly about systems but he makes everyone on the team better because he knows what to do with the rock. There is no system that is going to teach a man to make some
3’s, shoot 80% from the line or scrape the boards. FU simply does not have enough people who can do those things right now so they get beat by Anderson. Weight programs? I have seen too many great college players without a muscle in their body succeed as freshmen to buy that. Enjoy the rest of the season. When a few playahs get back thru will win a few. League is weak this year.
 #83813  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 am
Some try to make basketball some sorta difficult, multi-faceted game when it is very simple. Makng shots is all that matters. Dribbling, passng, defense, rebounding can all be done with great efficiency but if you don’t shoot well you’re gonna lose. On the other hand if you shoot well you can get by with doing all those other things minimally.
Jasper liked this
 #83814  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 am
Some try to make basketball some sorta difficult, multi-faceted game when it is very simple. Makng shots is all that matters. Dribbling, passng, defense, rebounding can all be done with great efficiency but if you don’t shoot well you’re gonna lose. On the other hand if you shoot well you can get by with doing all those other things minimally.
Like putting in golf.
 #83824  by saltyshaker
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:10 pm
i think it would help basketball if they could adopt a redshirt rule similiar o football allowing a player a minimal # of games before he burns his redshirt.specifically to deal with such a rash of injurirs.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.