• Furman at UNCG Wed Jan 3 @ 7pm

#83763  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:36 pm
It is brutal to watch the continuous clanking of the 3. Flinging and hoping. Push it to the hoop and get some points.
bj93, jesse174 liked this
 #83765  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:17 pm
I was looking for a lot more from Vanderwal...not sure he has recovered from appendectomy...a serious thing when you are older.
Jesse I think you are correct. He just doesn't look like the player we saw last year.

I had an emergency appendectomy in 2008. The Doc tried to do it arthroscopically but he said when he got in there it was ruptured and he had to do it the old fashioned way. (My wife still says he f***** it up) He cut me open like a gutted fish. I had to spend a whole week in the hospital because of the risk of sepsis. It took 7 weeks before I was back on the golf course and would have been longer if I was trying to play basketball. I was 54 years old then.

I couldn't believe how fast VDW was back playing after his surgery. Only about 3 weeks? That had to have been arthroscopic. No way he would have been back that soon if he had been cut open.

Maybe came back too soon? I have a hard time believing they would have let him play if it was not OK, though.
 #83767  by Jasper
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:39 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:15 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:06 pm
what happened to Hein?? He has to be our best potentisal scorer and we are getting hardly anything out of him
Nothing has happened to him. He is who he is.
Hein is the only player who is playing up to his talent. He is not the problem. He is as advertised.
 #83768  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:48 pm
There is no way Coach R will burn the redshirt on Bronson to try to fix a short term problem. He plays the long game. Everybody knows that.

Some people on here remind me of amateur stock market investors. They invest in stocks and the market has a bad run and six months later their account is down 20-25% and the morons pull out all the money. All they had to do was be patient and do nothing and 15 years later they would have about 5 times as much money. We as fans need to be patient with this team.

The only medicine that will fix our illness is Pegues, Williams, and Foster 100% healthy and back in the lineup.

That being said I liked our effort tonight and also liked the 1-3-1 defense. Watching the 3's clanging off the rim is frustrating but we are not getting good shots. I would say at least 2/3 of them looked rushed and/or heavily contested.
 #83770  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:02 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
It is brutal to watch the continuous clanking of the 3. Flinging and hoping. Push it to the hoop and get some points.
The only problem with that is the other team is making 3’s. 3 >2. This team absolutely has to make 3’s to win. Until they do we will struggle. Our “inside” game is minimal.
 #83774  by Bootie
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:10 am
Coach had good things to say in the postgame with Dan.

-Was really proud of the effort.
-The last month looks very different with Foster/JP.
-Designed/installed a new defense for the game in the hotel.
-Team is fighting hard through this storm of injuries and will continue.
-Anybody giving up on this team can go pull for somebody else.

I get inspired listening to him speak about anything. He’s so good. I just don’t really care about the losses. We’ve had our poor moments like the Anderson game but our response and adaptation to the lack of players available and to that Anderson performance, last night was kind of a victory in my eyes. That was a growth moment. I predict we’re going to get healthy and start finding our groove, and we’ll go into the tournament in fine shape and be ready for battle.
hypercycloid, Roundball, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #83779  by tim
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 am
Injuries could be worse, Sammy just lost Marshall for the season. Looks like about 23 minutes a game and a big rebounder
 #83781  by Roundball
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:40 am
We talked before the season about patience. We knew it was going to be a difficult first half because of the schedule and trying to build team chemistry. Throw injuries, surgeries, and the lack of a team leader and it has the making of a long season. All that said, there is hope when we get a healthy full roster. We just need that leader to step forward. When March comes, we can look back to the early struggles as a blessing. Make it to Asheville with momentum and anything can happen. Go Paladins!
dornb liked this
 #83784  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:40 am
Correct about Vanderwal. Before the season I thought he would/could start. I think he is better than he is showing for whatever reason.
 #83788  by jesse174
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:25 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:02 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
The only problem with that is the other team is making 3’s. 3 >2. This team absolutely has to make 3’s to win. Until they do we will struggle. Our “inside” game is minimal.
Need more than 7 players to defend the three...if we can defend the three better we can win these games....
furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.