• Presbyterian @ Furman Dec. 19th

#83406  by furpop16
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:38 am
He is shooting free throws worse than last year. 52.6% vs. 40,7% this year.

He made the two greatest free-throws in recent Furman memory against VA, so I continue to honor my promise not to complain. But as you're citing facts I've got two words for anyone who cares: "Rick Barry"
 #83407  by Sad Din
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:44 pm
IMHO last thing anybody talks about is making freethrows. Its very mental

You dont want it getting in your head. Much like fumbles in football. They dont speak fumbeles, they speak ball security
 #83408  by Roundball
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:23 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:44 pm
IMHO last thing anybody talks about is making freethrows. Its very mental

You dont want it getting in your head. Much like fumbles in football. They dont speak fumbeles, they speak ball security
It is mental, but it is also shooting style. We have one player that puts too much spin on the ball and has a bad trajectory to the basket. He is shooting only 33% FG and 63% FT. That is something that can be corrected.
 #83446  by FurmAlum
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:04 pm
I've been thinking about the free throw situation for a while now so here are my thoughts. Surely those guys practice free throws but I'm not sure how much. A sportswriter once asked Magic Johnson "Magic, you weren't a very good free throw shooter at Mich St and now in the NBA you hit about 85%, how did you improve? Magic answered it's simple...100 shots a day!"

It is obvious that JP Pegues has really improved his FT shooting from last year. LY he was O.K, this year almost automatic. Hit 10 in a row against Arkansas. Foster, Smith, Williams, and Hughey are very good. Whitt not bad. VDW, Molnar, and Bowser need improvement. VDW did hit six in a row against PC.

Hien is in league by himself. He hit arguably the two most important free throws in program history so we know he can do it. Assuming he has practiced his FT shooting in the off season ad nauseam, it has to be mental. Sort of like short putts in golf. Many great golfers, including some major champions, have had periods in their careers where they couldn't make a 3 ft putt. But it can be overcome.

I remember Devin Sibley, who most of his career was a good FT shooter, all of a sudden couldn't hit one for multiple games near the end of the 2017-2018 season. Hope Hien can get it fixed. I sure like the way his floor game has been the last few games.
apaladin liked this
 #83447  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:42 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I've been thinking about the free throw situation for a while now so here are my thoughts. Surely those guys practice free throws but I'm not sure how much. A sportswriter once asked Magic Johnson "Magic, you weren't a very good free throw shooter at Mich St and now in the NBA you hit about 85%, how did you improve? Magic answered it's simple...100 shots a day!"

It is obvious that JP Pegues has really improved his FT shooting from last year. LY he was O.K, this year almost automatic. Hit 10 in a row against Arkansas. Foster, Smith, Williams, and Hughey are very good. Whitt not bad. VDW, Molnar, and Bowser need improvement. VDW did hit six in a row against PC.

Hien is in league by himself. He hit arguably the two most important free throws in program history so we know he can do it. Assuming he has practiced his FT shooting in the off season ad nauseam, it has to be mental. Sort of like short putts in golf. Many great golfers, including some major champions, have had periods in their careers where they couldn't make a 3 ft putt. But it can be overcome.

I remember Devin Sibley, who most of his career was a good FT shooter, all of a sudden couldn't hit one for multiple games near the end of the 2017-2018 season. Hope Hien can get it fixed. I sure like the way his floor game has been the last few games.
Conditioning / FT Drill - End of every practice…
* 6 baskets in the typical HS gym
* 2 guys @ each basket - scrubs do whatever
* 10 FT shots each in a row - quickly!!! - 1 shooter / 1 shagger/botherer
* Rotate to next basket … every 3 minutes or so … on the hop (sprint)!!!!
* 10 rotations

30 minutes / 100 (pressured) FT’s each - count ‘em - good stuff for over X% / bad stuff for under X%

FUBeAR was not a great basketball player. FUBeAR shot 90% or so from the FT line. No excuse for not making FT’s.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper liked this
 #83453  by Jasper
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:52 pm
Ain’t no secret to shooting FT. It’s the same as getting to Carnegie Hall. PRACTICE MY BOY PRACTICE. When I was in HS, I had to make 20 in a row before I left. Practice. There were some very late dinners but I made a bit over 80% in college.
FUBeAR liked this
 #83465  by Jasper
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:09 am
HammerTKE wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:58 pm
Hein plays with a ton of emotions, which can be good or bad, depending upon how things are going. I am confident that what we saw from him in the PC game is the same guy we're going to see in SoCon play. While his free throw percentage is down, he did make two of the biggest free throws in Furman history at the end of the Virginia game. I loved what I saw from the team on Tuesday night and I can't wait to see what they will accomplish over the next few months!
Whether or not Hein is a scoring factor in a particular game has a lot to do with the other team's personnel. When they have a really intimidating big man or men, Hein becomes limited offensively. After eating the ball on a few attempts, he stops looking for an inside shot and limits himself to screening, rebounds and the occasional 3 pointer. Obviously, he knows his limitations and attempts to contribute in ways besides scoring. PC did not have a shot blocker of any consequence, so Garret was able to go to the hoop very well and put up some good numbers. Don't expect that from him vs a team that has that type of player or players.
 #83470  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:17 pm
Wilt Chamberlain was a terrible free throw shooter.
 #83471  by Roundball
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:52 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:17 pm
Wilt Chamberlain was a terrible free throw shooter.
Chamberlain is the reason players have to stand flat footed at the foul line. Supposedly, he had the ability to jump from the foul line and dunk the ball.

#83476  by Jasper
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:40 pm
Wilt could do a lot of things that other mere mortals could not. He was not only a giant but a great athlete at the same time. I have heard great pros who played against him speak in awe of his capacity. I have no doubt that he could do as you say.
 #83477  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm
Wilt’s athletic ability is undisputed. One of the 20th century’s greatest. Almost as good as Jan Michael Vincent. He just couldn’t shoot free throws.
 #83480  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:10 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:42 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Conditioning / FT Drill - End of every practice…
* 6 baskets in the typical HS gym
* 2 guys @ each basket - scrubs do whatever
* 10 FT shots each in a row - quickly!!! - 1 shooter / 1 shagger/botherer
* Rotate to next basket … every 3 minutes or so … on the hop (sprint)!!!!
* 10 rotations

30 minutes / 100 (pressured) FT’s each - count ‘em - good stuff for over X% / bad stuff for under X%

FUBeAR was not a great basketball player. FUBeAR shot 90% or so from the FT line. No excuse for not making FT’s.
We did something similar. Usually it was 50 free throws and 50 spot shots after practice with a shagger. We kept score and had to report make % to an assistant coach and/or manager.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.