• Furman @ Princeton Dec. 2nd

#81799  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:18 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:10 pm
It was a brutal L. In the last 3 mins Dins had 91% chance of winning...Two bad/missed ref calls, and a miracle out of bounds play made it possible

However, stats recognized the potential

The odds for Furman to earn the #1 seed in the Southern tournament are up 4% since yesterday.
• The chance of Furman winning the Southern tournament has increased by 2% since yesterday.

SoCon will certainly be there for the taking, a few decent teams but no SoCon team scares me at all and nobody is setting the world on fire...

I just want to get healthy and stay that way dang it!
Then we can start worrying about....
 #81804  by Paladin91
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm
I just watched the Princeton game replay. A few observations - IMO, Princeton is not a great team - they had a couple of scrappy players but overall, i think we were the better team despite it not showing on the scoreboard. First off, I hope Foster's injury is minor and he is playing against Arkansas. Overall, Hien played a very nice game - a much better effort than in the last couple of games. Pegues didn't have a very good shooting game from 3 - sometimes I sense there is a bit of pressure on him - he needs to let the game come to him. Vanderwal had good effort, but his shots are not going down - this needs to improve going into conference play. Williams had a really nice game despite the stupid non-travel call late in the game. PJ seems to slowly adapting to to team play . I still think Whitt should get a little more playing time - he's a good assist man and seems to have improved his shot.

As much as we shot horrible at the free throw line, we really need to make better passes and stop the unforced turnovers. We had a lot of crisp passing last year, but I've not really seen this as much from this team since the Belmont game. Also, we need to improve on the boards - we let their scrawny 6'3 guard recover multiple O boards after a shot way too many times. The end of this game reminded me somewhat of the Virginia game - I think it will be a good learning lesson for the team. We need to handle the press much better than we did going forward. I thought CBR played too conservative at the end trying to drain the clock. We really should have been attacking the basket as we were in the bonus and the momentum was with our team. I know, easier said than done when you're under a press situation and 1-3-1 zone.

At this stage, we are a decent team that should contend for the SOCON. I don't see us winning the SOCON regular season. We need some leaders to step up as the season progresses.
FurmAlum liked this
 #81818  by jesse174
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:33 pm
Didn't see a leader on this team and the lack of talent is evident...looking for more from Pegues as no one else is doing much.
 #81821  by Sad Din
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:58 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Didn't see a leader on this team and the lack of talent is evident...looking for more from Pegues as no one else is doing much.
idk, there were some interesting lineups

Williams was playing a big role. Hughey was on the bench. There wasnt any defense for offense substitutions. Vanderwalh who hadnt played in some time was taking tres

Smith was bring the ball up a few times. Whitt didnt handle the ball much. Would love to hear CBRs accounts on this one
 #81822  by purplehorse123
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:03 pm
Surprised that every basketball player does not have “good hands” and a little surprised that anyone could not improve their hands over time.
 #81860  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:48 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Foster, Pegues, and Hien should be the leaders on this team. Foster has been doing his part, especially scoring, but unfortunately he was injured and didn't play the second half. Pegues has been a good point guard/floor leader but his shots haven't been dropping. Hien has been hot and cold. He's looked better the last few games but he needs to get more rebounds and his free throw shooting is abysmal.

We are very much a work in progress right now and I'm hoping everything will eventually come together. But I wouldn't say "the lack of talent is evident". I would say there is talent but you don't win on talent alone. The talent has to play together as a team and that just hasn't happened yet, with the one exception being the Belmont game.
din23, dornb liked this
 #81864  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:42 pm
Have to admit its not good when you get to shoot 3 free throws and it turns into a turnover. :lol:

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.