• 2025 Hoops Recruiting

#87562  by Roundball
 Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:13 pm
My apologies for posting the Smith info on this thread. There are so many goings and comings that it is hard to keep up with.
 #87663  by tya1
 Fri May 10, 2024 12:42 am
A couple more potential recruits.

Daithi Quinn, 6'4" guard, Tabor, Mass. Has offers from several schools including William and Mary, Holy Cross, Albany, etc. Also has interest from Princeton, Belmont, Iona, and Vermont. Triple threat - can shoot from the perimeter, drive, and post up. Strong, athletic wing. Averaged around 21 ppg in the recent AAU event in Rock Hill.
Tyreek Coleman, 6'2" guard from Waubonsie Valley HS, Aurora, IL. Has an offer from Miami (O) and interest from Penn, Illinois State, and Murray State. Quick, smooth shooting point guard with deep range. Also excelled recently in Rock Hill.
 #87664  by furpop16
 Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 am
@tya1 & gang:
I’m curious as to your thoughts on whether The Portal will have any effect on a recruit’s choice coming out of HS.

My expectation is that developmental programs with proven success records (like Furman) will now get more serious consideration from standout High Schoolers who would otherwise join the highest ranked or highest $NIL team making an offer. Their motivation being to more thoroughly develop as a big fish in a smaller pond - thus maximizing their $NIL value as upper classmen. Furman’s challenge then - as now - will be how to hang onto them.

Thoughts on whether the portal will have any effect on recruit decision-making out of HS?
 #87666  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 10, 2024 12:41 pm
That’s a really good point. I don’t think most HS kids think that strategically. They do listen to their AAU or EYBL coaches, but half those guys are scammers so there’s no telling what advice they give.

I bet most kids consider themselves developed, and most don’t really improve that much over a year or two. It’s probably more likely the bigger they are. So I wish we’d grab the not quite ready bigs out of HS and hire a big man whisperer to coach them up on old school paint dominance. Then surround them with proven D2 and foreign sharpshooters from the portal.
furpop16 liked this
 #87670  by tya1
 Fri May 10, 2024 5:38 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 am
@tya1 & gang:
I’m curious as to your thoughts on whether The Portal will have any effect on a recruit’s choice coming out of HS.

My expectation is that developmental programs with proven success records (like Furman) will now get more serious consideration from standout High Schoolers who would otherwise join the highest ranked or highest $NIL team making an offer. Their motivation being to more thoroughly develop as a big fish in a smaller pond - thus maximizing their $NIL value as upper classmen. Furman’s challenge then - as now - will be how to hang onto them.

Thoughts on whether the portal will have any effect on recruit decision-making out of HS?
I think the biggest effect of the transfer boom is that with such a high number of transfers available colleges just have less need or interest in signing guys right out of high school. Sign somebody with at least some proven experience.

For example, UCLA had a lot of roster losses this year. They have brought in 6 transfers and only 1 freshman. In the past, presumably, they would have had a much bigger class of freshmen. That is a half dozen fairly high rated high schoolers who are available to other programs.

Of course the same thing happened to the Paladins this spring. For the first time Richey went out and signed a bunch of transfers. Some of the high schoolers we were looking at will slip to other schools, including some D2 schools and low majors.

It will be interesting to see if the end of the pool of players with the extra COVID year will change this situation any.
furpop16, FUpaladin08 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.