• The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

#73136  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:27 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:46 pm
Have to admit. I get let down every time a new post pops up in this thread. I want the next post to be the good news of breaking ground!
No worries, they have said all along that 2023 will be used to finish raising the money, that includes the next 6 months. Still expect the project to begin March 2024.................
Roundball liked this
 #73143  by FurmanFan23
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:25 pm
With this economy and inflation, I doubt construction will begin due to the cost of materials. In addition to this, the same could be said for donors who don't want to donate with the possibility of a recession. Still pessimistic about the possibilities.
 #73144  by paladinfan12
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:33 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
With this economy and inflation, I doubt construction will begin due to the cost of materials. In addition to this, the same could be said for donors who don't want to donate with the possibility of a recession. Still pessimistic about the possibilities.
We're past the worst of construction inflation. I am unsure when the $40 million was estimated, but anything since Q3 2022 and onward has only seen 1-1.5% inflation per quarter. We were tracking about 3% per quarter in 2021 and early 2022 for construction costs.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #73157  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:55 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:33 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
We're past the worst of construction inflation. I am unsure when the $40 million was estimated, but anything since Q3 2022 and onward has only seen 1-1.5% inflation per quarter. We were tracking about 3% per quarter in 2021 and early 2022 for construction costs.
Great point!
 #73160  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:05 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
FF23 Please explain to me what is wrong with the economy? Unemployment remains at almost record lows. Everywhere I go in my hometown I see construction projects going on. When I go to Nashville I see cranes all over the city.

I will grant you that inflation has been an issue but the worst is behind us. And it was nothing like the inflation of the late 1970's and early '80's. We were able to live thru it and prosper.

We haven't had a recession since 2008-09, when my daughter was a sophomore at Furman. I can assure you if you live long enough you will experience more than one. They are just the natural course of economic life. The big donors supporting the Timmons project aren't worried about a recession. They are recession proof. This project will happen. You can count on it!

P.S. I would encourage you to concentrate on applying your excellent Furman education and stop worrying about all the bullshit you read in the media. I am/was in the Insurance/Investment business. I had one of my best years ever in the recession of 2008-2009. We had a recession but I decided not to participate. You can do the same.
FU Hoopla, Roundball, hypercycloid and 1 others liked this
 #73189  by Paul C
 Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:53 pm
Real wages have declined now for something like 22 months in a row.

Credit card debt has exploded and is fueling the last legs of this expansion cycle

Retail sales are starting to decline and index of leading indicators has been in the red now for a while.

Hold on.
 #73191  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:03 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
FF23 wife is a credit manager for the largest building supply company in the country. She says the cost of materials are close to being back to normal after ridiculous increases and the supply chain is almost back to normal as well.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #73224  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:03 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
FF23 wife is a credit manager for the largest building supply company in the country. She says the cost of materials are close to being back to normal after ridiculous increases and the supply chain is almost back to normal as well.

Perfect!!

#73723  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 am
Sad Din wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:24 pm
Taking so long... maybe the fundraiser for the next upgrade should start now
Not taking any longer than had originally been planned, money will be committed by the end of this year, and we break ground next March, that has been the plan all along..............
 #73725  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:09 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 am
Sad Din wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:24 pm
Taking so long... maybe the fundraiser for the next upgrade should start now
Not taking any longer than had originally been planned, money will be committed by the end of this year, and we break ground next March, that has been the plan all along..............
I hear we are very close.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this