• The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

#87081  by HB88
 Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:16 pm
I cannot get over how low that ceiling is for an arena. No wonder the architects were so limited in what they could do with respect to capacity.
bj93 liked this
 #87084  by furpop16
 Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:24 pm
HB88 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:16 pm
I cannot get over how low that ceiling is for an arena. No wonder the architects were so limited in what they could do with respect to capacity.

No doubt that explains the shovels. To your point, though, there's only so far they can dig given the dimensions of the place. It'll still be a gem.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #87087  by greenvegas
 Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:47 pm
Hopefully, a low ceiling will amplify the fan noise in the arena and make it sound louder. Carmichael Auditorium at UNC was considered one of the loudest basketball arenas because of the "low ceiling". Can any physics majors expound on this theory?
 #87089  by Bootie
 Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:33 pm
greenvegas wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:47 pm
Hopefully, a low ceiling will amplify the fan noise in the arena and make it sound louder. Carmichael Auditorium at UNC was considered one of the loudest basketball arenas because of the "low ceiling". Can any physics majors expound on this theory?
Not a physics major here, but I'm not sure we need to be for this one :D

It seems pretty common sense to me that any given number of screaming fans are simply always going to sound/be louder in a smaller-volume container than in a larger one.
Roundball liked this