• Furman @ WCU (Feb. 8th)

#25025  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:37 pm
Great win. Quote from WCU message board before the game”It’s nice to beat FU in some sport every decade or so”. Gotta love that. 6 to go. Crunch time!
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #25026  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:54 pm
Good win on the road. Shut down Dotson from easy scores. Survived some hot shooting by Steger in the first half. Their 14 threes kept them close. We made nearly 50% of ours. How did that running fling while being fouled that Lyons made go in? It looked like it rolled up and over the rim somehow. Even Jordan had to smile at that one. He deserved it with the game he played
FUKA61, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #25042  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 pm
edwards555 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:59 pm
Great day. Quad 2 win vs. Western, Wofford loses, Alabama gets a road win at Georgia, South Florida gets a road win at Memphis. Anxious to see the net in the morning.

Yep, also Auburn beat LSU and leads the SEC, Elon won at CofC and Winthrop just won their 14 straight game (last loss was to us at the 'Well')
 #25047  by tya1
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:03 am
Great, mentally tough, gritty win over a WCU team that was playing very well themselves. And we did it on their court in front of an enthusiastic WCU crowd. One of our best wins this year in my opinion. We did it in a very mature, unselfish way. We found the guys with the hot hands and got it to them consistently.

The only thing we did wrong was coming off the hot shooter for the Catamounts too quickly to try and double team other guys. But we must have made some adjustments because he (Steger) didn't score down the stretch.

Good defense against Dotson. I thought we had some ticky tack touch fouls called against us while defending but we stayed cool and kept playing.
Last edited by tya1 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUKA61, Jasper, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #25050  by CharlieFU
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:49 am
Would have been very easy for our players to lose their composure—and they didn’t. Dotson was clearly bothered by our aggressive defense and could be seen multiple times complaining about it to refs and his teammates and coaches. Or I assume that’s what he was saying.
 #25053  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Would have been very easy for our players to lose their composure—and they didn’t. Dotson was clearly bothered by our aggressive defense and could be seen multiple times complaining about it to refs and his teammates and coaches. Or I assume that’s what he was saying.
I just watched some of the tape. IMO, the player mostly responsible for silencing Dotson was Tre Clark. Carlos got lots of boards but only 9 points. We effectively stopped the ball from getting into him on the low post and we did that by filling the passing lanes. Clark is so long that he fills lanes all by himself. He gets a lot of deflections that don't show up necessarily in the stats as turnovers but nevertheless, it stops guys like Dotson from getting the ball on the low post. Our bigs simply cant stop him when he gets it in there because of his bulk. He was angry ( his normal attitude) and frustrated by FU denying him the ball and that is a good thing. If Dotson went off down low in the 2nd half the way he did the last 2 years at Timmons and on top of all the 3's their designated Euro shooter dropped in the first, we likely lose the game. Great job by Clark and the coaches. Fortunately there is lot more to BB than just shooting.
furpop16, FUKA61, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #25058  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:05 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 am
CharlieFU wrote:
I just watched some of the tape. IMO, the player mostly responsible for silencing Dotson was Tre Clark. Carlos got lots of boards but only 9 points. We effectively stopped the ball from getting into him on the low post and we did that by filling the passing lanes. Clark is so long that he fills lanes all by himself. He gets a lot of deflections that don't show up necessarily in the stats as turnovers but nevertheless, it stops guys like Dotson from getting the ball on the low post. Our bigs simply cant stop him when he gets it in there because of his bulk. He was angry ( his normal attitude) and frustrated by FU denying him the ball and that is a good thing. If Dotson went off down low in the 2nd half the way he did the last 2 years at Timmons and on top of all the 3's their designated Euro shooter dropped in the first, we likely lose the game. Great job by Clark and the coaches. Fortunately there is lot more to BB than just shooting.
I love watching Tre Clark play. He has more fun playing the game than anyone I’ve seen in a long time. He knows his role and cherishes every moment, whether he is on the court or on the bench cheering on his teammates. He is the kind of player that makes it a joy to be a fan of Furman basketball.
FurmAlum, Jasper, QCGlue liked this
 #25067  by CharlieFU
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:21 pm
Because of fouls, Mounce also took a turn defending Dotson. It really was a team effort.
 #25074  by FurmAlum
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:36 pm
I like Tre Clark too. Every championship team need somebody like him. Plays great defense, hustles all the time, does all the little things that win games - dives for loose balls ( the whole team does that), long, quick, and athletic, hi bb IQ, nifty moves around the basket, rebounds and makes a couple steals almost every game. Great attitude.

He has improved his ball handling skills from last year and can bring the ball up the court against the press. Can drive to the goal and get to the rim as good as anyone.

If he could somehow work on his game and improve his shooting during this coming off season, he would be a heck of a player next year. I'm sure he will try. I'm glad he plays for us!
Roundball, Jasper, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild...

by Sad Din

Sun May 05, 2024 3:40 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Sun May 05, 2024 2:48 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Sat May 04, 2024 5:12 pm

Default Avatar Absence dulls the spring

by Affirm

Sat May 04, 2024 4:41 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.