• WCU @ Furman (Jan. 15)(Battle for first place)

#23921  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm
No such thing as a must win until Asheville.
Have to disagree a little. If we want to continue on a path to a regular season conference title and a possible NIT bid and to continue our current high rankings then yes this is a must win. If the only games that matter are in Asheville then we should not care if we win or lose any regular season game. For me I would rather enjoy the entire season and keep lofty goals in sight and continue to take this program to bigger and better things. We have gone 40 years without winning the tourney and except for a rare occasion have played our last game there. It is nice as last year to go to Asheville knowing our last game won't be there. Yes Wednesday night's game is a must win as will be the rest of the regular season
 #23922  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:39 am
So if we lose tomorrow night the season is shot and we should give up on the rest of the year?

That’s the definition of must win to me.

Sure this is a big game and a win would be great, while a loss would set us back, but we can still achieve all our goals even if we lose on Wed night.

We are splitting hairs.
 #23923  by Jasper
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:25 pm
This is a big game. Furman’s inability to handle the press against UNCG has exposed a team weakness. I believe we have the ball handlers, passers and Coaches to solve this problem. A win puts us back on track to our goal of a conference championship, a loss would be a big setback. Need a big loud crowd at Timmons!
Very true. But keep in mind there are presses and then there are presses. WCU may not be a team that is used to pressing and they certainly are not going to be as adapt at it as UNCG is. A poorly executed press is an invitation to be on the receiving end of a bunch of fast break dunks. Simply because we did not handle the UNCG press well does not mean its a great idea for everyone to press us. We handled it much better when Mike Bothwell was in because he did not pick up his dribble and has the size and ability to split the pressers. UNCG won the first half with defense but they won the second half by shooting much better than they usually do. Simple game at times is basketball.
MNORM, FUKA61 liked this
 #23945  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:20 pm
WCU has replaced FU in ESPNs bracketology In the college insider Fu falls to #7 fro #3. ETSU st#6 and uncg at #9
Beat them tomorrow night and we will be right back in Friday's bracketology heading into the game at Woffy friday night
 #23946  by furpop16
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:20 pm
WCU has replaced FU in ESPNs bracketology In the college insider Fu falls to #7 fro #3. ETSU st#6 and uncg at #9
For several weeks now Sagarin has ranked the SoCon marginally ahead of Conf-USA and well behind the MAC-E (which he has ranked just behind the MVC). I'll bet we soon see the SoCon creeping up on the MAC-E and correspondingly distancing itself from Conf-USA.

This is one tough league.
 #23956  by gofurman
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:45 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm
No such thing as a must win until Asheville.
exactly ! You can be 8th seed and make the NCAA. I'd rather finish 3rd and win the Asheville tourney than finish 1st (reg season) and lose in the tourney semi's. I want to be in the dance baby !
 #23958  by Paul C
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:53 pm
Vegas has FU favored by 11
https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/
Seems high to me. I expect WCU will come out guns a blazing for their opportunity to prove something. We better be ready.
That ties with the KenPom analytics projection. Having said that I’ll gladly take a 1 point win, although I’m sure you’d be disappointed with that. :D

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Wed May 01, 2024 8:39 am

Default Avatar NFL DRAFT

by gman84

Wed May 01, 2024 8:03 am

User avatar Jalen Sullinger

by apaladin

Wed May 01, 2024 1:20 am

Default Avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by Sad Din

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:21 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Roundball

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:13 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.