• Furman vs. Liberty Nov. 16th (MBI First Round)

#80475  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:42 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:18 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:16 pm
We will get blasted by another top midmajor Princeton if we play like this when we go up there
Not to mention PC, UAB and Tulane.
And there my prediction about the bandwagon shedding coming true
I think we will be ok by conference time, at least I hope so. I have faith in CBR but some of the veteran players need to kick it in gear.
 #80476  by Paul C
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
KingPaladin wrote:
We will get blasted by another top midmajor Princeton if we play like this when we go up there
I think we will be ok by conference time, at least I hope so. I have faith in CBR but some of the veteran players need to kick it in gear.
The thing that we have in our favor is the socon being somewhat down this year.
 #80477  by furpop16
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
KingPaladin wrote:

Over the summer, as we all were rejoicing over the successful conclusion to the year, CBR specifically recalled last year's tournament and how it was one thing to lose to Penn State, but the next day's loss to Old Dominion was a real gut-punch as the guys just didn't appear to show. I'm certain CBR hasn't forgotten that and I'm confident we'll see a whole different team tomorrow.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #80478  by Roundball
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:04 am
It’s early guys, and the coaching staff is still working on the right rotation. We will make the adjustments, get our players back, and be just fine. There is no need to panic after a loss to a really good team that will be playing in the Big Dance. More good news. We have another game today at 6:30. This team will be focused and ready to play. Beat Coastal.
Bootie, dornb, apaladin liked this
 #80492  by furpep
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:20 pm
We got beat by a better team, but we played sloppy. Turned the game off at the half. One observation. If you are going to play Cooper out at the high post and use him for obvious pick and roll plays then the guards need to get the ball to him. At least 4 times I saw the play, saw him unguarded and the ball did not go into him. Saw this in other games so it is nothing new.
 #80494  by Roundball
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:57 pm
Of the 8 teams n the tournament FU will be the only team not to play on one of the espn channels . Of course after tonight that is pobably good. 🤷🏼‍♂️
We will be on an ESPN channel. Most all tv is streamed now.
 #80495  by FUBF24
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Choir Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:48 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:31 am
That is why Hughey is so imortant. I think Hein is to "soft" down low
Cotton
Convinced "choir boy" just lurks on this website just to hate. Go run back to Samford buddy, the dog pound is waiting on you
 #80509  by FurmAlum
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:48 pm
Couple other observations.

Was that CBR's first technical since he's been head coach? I don't remember him getting one before last night. His first couple of years he seemed to have a very subtle way that he interacted with the officials. The last 2 years he's much more animated. Maybe he feels he's earned the right to be more assertive. He never gets obnoxious like a lot of other coaches do and that is one of the many things that I like about him.

The tech last night was justified. That was a horrible call.
dornb liked this
 #80513  by FurmAlum
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:00 pm
This is for the basketball junkies.

Last night at least on 3 occasions in the first half we had a 3 on 2 fast break and our player stops at the 3 point line and jacks up a 3. Missed all 3. Wouldn't it have been better to drive to the basket and then dish off to the open man for the layup? 6 points might not be as good as 9 but its better than 0.

I see this all the time now in college basketball. I assume it's O.K. with CBR or they wouldn't be doing it so much. He's probably calculated that the extra point on the 3 is worth the risk??

I bet Furmanoid would like to comment. Where have you been?
 #80519  by furpop16
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:00 pm
Last night at least on 3 occasions in the first half we had a 3 on 2 fast break and our player stops at the 3 point line and jacks up a 3. Missed all 3. Wouldn't it have been better to drive to the basket and then dish off to the open man for the layup? 6 points might not be as good as 9 but its better than 0.

I see this all the time now in college basketball. I assume it's O.K. with CBR or they wouldn't be doing it so much. He's probably calculated that the extra point on the 3 is worth the risk??
Would make Bobby Knight spin in his grave. He hated the 3pt shot precisely because it de-emphasizes fundamental skills.

CBR himself criticizes run & gun 3's and instead emphasizes finding the preferred shot. Of course, once that shot is found, if it's a three, he wants our guys to "step into it". Unfortunately last night they went right into stepping into it without searching for the preferred shot.

Doubt if we see that happen again anytime soon.