• Transfer Portal 2

#39091  by cavedweller2
 Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm
We should go after this guy:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... one-season

Former five-star recruit Walker Kessler transferring from North Carolina Tar Heels men's basketball team after one season
Mar 22, 2021
Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

Former five-star recruit Walker Kessler announced Monday he's transferring from North Carolina after one season.

Kessler released a statement on Twitter.

"While this season did not go as planned for our entire basketball community, the relationships that I have been able to develop this year will forever mean the world to me," Kessler said. "I am honored to have played for an amazing and historic program like The University of North Carolina. Gratitude is all I feel for my teammates, coaches, trainers, administration, and staff. During a very difficult year for all of us, they were able to help me to grow as a player and most importantly as a person.

"After careful and calculated consideration I will be entering the transfer portal. I wish the entire Carolina family the absolute best in the years ahead. Thank you TarHeel Nation!"

A 7-foot-1 center from Georgia, Kessler averaged just 4.4 points and 3.2 rebounds during his freshman season at North Carolina. However, he came on strong late in the season. Kessler had a four-game stretch in February in which he scored in double figures in each one, including 20 points, eight rebounds and four blocks in a comeback win over Florida State. He also dominated Notre Dame in the ACC tournament, going for 16 points, 12 rebounds and eight blocks.

Kessler was a McDonald's All American coming out of high school, ranking No. 14 in the ESPN 100 for the 2020 class.

He originally chose North Carolina over Duke, Auburn and Michigan coming out of high school. Duke and Auburn were perceived as the leaders in his recruitment until he took an official visit to North Carolina in late September 2019. By the time he left Chapel Hill, he was ready to commit to the Tar Heels.
QCGlue liked this
 #39262  by Sad Din
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm
Dins had interesting history with xfers...

Remember Quan Powell? Xferred to Auburn. That was the beginning of the end for Davis. He played 1 year in G league

Amu Saaka de-committed from Dins and then xferred in. He has played overseas for years
 #39263  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:21 pm
Don't forget Jordan Lloyd who played one season with FU, then transferred to U. of Indianapolis. He eventually played one season with the Toronto Raptors, in which they won a Championship beating the Golden State Warriors.

He now plays in the EuroLeague.
 #39270  by tya1
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:01 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Remember Quan Powell? Xferred to Auburn. That was the beginning of the end for Davis. He played 1 year in G league
The squad Davis left for Jackson was likely the best group during his years as coach. The last two recruits he got were possibly the two best he got during his tenure. Still wish Jackson hadn't disassembled that group.
 #39304  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm
I’ll be shocked if Coach Richey goes to the transfer portal. It’s not in his DNA to take the easy route.
 #39319  by Sad Din
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 pm
UNCG gets a 4*

maybe the xfer portal is the new recruiting tool. Good coaches adapt

#39321  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 pm
Roundball wrote:
I’ll be shocked if Coach Richey goes to the transfer portal. It’s not in his DNA to take the easy route.
What is so wrong with transfers? You are all for people transferring out but dead set against anybody transferring in. Why is one guy good and the other guy bad?
 #39323  by PaladinPower
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 pm
Not sure Roundball or anyone on these threads is for players transferring out.. You’re just poorly reading between lines. You can be against a player transferring but respect the decision, understand it, be thankful for the years the player put in, and root for him in his future.
 #39325  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 pm
Not sure Roundball or anyone on these threads is for players transferring out.. You’re just poorly reading between lines. You can be against a player transferring but respect the decision, understand it, be thankful for the years the player put in, and root for him in his future.
OK I overstated it. But as you say, a guy can transfer out and we don’t automatically think he’s a bad guy. But somehow guys who might want to transfer IN are low quality people. Please explain.
 #39327  by RaleighDin
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:35 pm
I don't think it's that they're low quality people. It's that there's less time to evaluate their character and build a genuine connection, which makes it harder to determine fit. In our system, coach has talked repeatedly about the importance of language and the role it plays everything they do (on top of the fact that the system is complex). When you're transferring in, you're not only learning how to operate in our system, you're also UN-learning the way you did things at your previous school. Combine that with already having one or more less years in the program, and it probably makes it pretty difficult to find a fit that makes sense for a transfer.

Also, if you think about it - bringing in transfers kind of contradicts work while you wait. What's the incentive to stay and work for your shot, if in the back of your mind coach is going to turn around and bring in a 1 year rental when it's finally your turn?

Personally, I don't care if we bring in a transfer or two provided it makes sense (maybe someone we recruited out of high school). But I also recognize that it's somewhat unique to our program that we choose to focus on high school recruits. There's a connection we get to enjoy with the players that's somewhat unique when we watch them develop over 4 years (maybe not unique, just old school). When Noah announced he was leaving, it hurt, not because I didn't want the best for him personally, but because I was looking forward to getting to watch him one more year in purple and white. Transferring in or out hasn't been something we've had to really deal with.
hypercycloid, FurmAlum, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #39329  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:37 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 pm
Roundball wrote:
What is so wrong with transfers? You are all for people transferring out but dead set against anybody transferring in. Why is one guy good and the other guy bad?
I never said I was against transfers coming in. I am only stating what I know about Coach Richey.
 #39334  by Monday
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 am
From the Furman Admissions website (https://www.furman.edu/enrollment-servi ... er-credit/):
A final critical note… all students seeking the bachelor’s degree must earn at least 60 of the 128 credits required for the degree through Furman courses. The final 28 credits must be included in this total unless you are earning a degree through one of our cooperative programs with another institution.

Not sure how standard this requirement is for state universities but this is probably a big hindrance for bringing in any Jr or Sr transfers.
 #39341  by Sad Din
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:24 pm
Monday wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 am
From the Furman Admissions website (https://www.furman.edu/enrollment-servi ... er-credit/):
A final critical note… all students seeking the bachelor’s degree must earn at least 60 of the 128 credits required for the degree through Furman courses. The final 28 credits must be included in this total unless you are earning a degree through one of our cooperative programs with another institution.

Not sure how standard this requirement is for state universities but this is probably a big hindrance for bringing in any Jr or Sr transfers.
thats a good point. although SD thinks the latest fad is xfer post grad. They have a degree. They are a known commodity. They are looking for another year to either develop or get more exposure. Some of them might actually be after a post grad degree
 #39357  by Davemeister
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:44 pm
ETSU players are said to be entering the Portal. Do they have anybody we can use?