• Spring Game

#86151  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:07 am
A few observations:

-I didn’t see 3 playing WR and we know he’ll play a key role along with the new 1 and 2. I believe he caught some punts.

- The OL coach seemed a bit more interested in the place kick block performance. That’s an area we struggled with last year. Perhaps more blocking emphasis is being placed on that.

- I had been reading about the ball 8 throws was perhaps more catchable. My opinion is 5 looks better and should be better. They have very different builds. As mentioned prior, we did make quite a few deep throws, but often into double and triple coverage. I doubt those would have been thrown during the season.

- there was quite a bit of rotation on the OL. That seems far from final. There was even a successful series with 52 at LG, 61 at C and big 77 at RG. 61 got a LOT of snaps at C. 66 got good work at LT. I heard 51 and some sort of MCL with ice on the knee post scrimmage. A few times we needed short yardage and got it. We also saw several nice 5-6 yard gains. Not many big pops.

- 21 RB may not be back until October

- 80 showed great hands in warmups and made several great catches during the scrimmage. I suspect he saw more time because 3 was not playing.

- a very good recruit turnout in a good atmosphere

- I wouldn’t read much at all into the results of O or D in this. It looked to me like they were putting players in positions to get good film to teach with in a more poppy atmosphere and escape injury free. They’ll take this teaching tape and expect corrections in these last 4 or 5 practices.

Dins Won!
Jasper liked this
 #86168  by FUBeAR
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:40 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:07 am
big 77 at RG.
FUBeAR is pleased to see this.

Reviewing his ETSU play (at both OT & OG) before last season started, FUBeAR thought OG was the right spot for him IF we were going to be more zone than gap (with more frequent OG pulling/running in space) scheme and with that assessment including no consideration for other Players / depth at OT and/or OG. Just seems more comfortable playing in tighter spaces…and IFBO, as amateur as that is, his best shot at the next level may be as an interior OLman.

Good to see it’s a possibility under consideration. All that opining aside, FUBeAR knows our stellar group of All-World Coaches will have the best 5 (available) on the field in the OL and in the right spots come time to Rock the RebelBearLandsharks in Oxford.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.