#86122  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:21 am
Now that the school has pushed the fund raising for Timmons successfully, is the department’s next priority football or a practice facility for basketball?
It seems to me that the sport that has had the most success and also brings the most alumnae and fans on campus needs to be a priority.
To counterbalance Afurmanfan’s suggestion, ask this question:
“Even though the school is still working hard to raise much-needed additional funding for Timmons renovations, it seems to me that basketball still has important needs. Basketball is always going to be the sport with the greatest long-range potential for bringing strategically valuable and timely national attention to Furman. Apparently there is still the major need to add a new practice facility for our two basketball teams. Is that going to be the department’s next priority after moving the funding of Timmons renovations farther along?”
35 words are clearly needed to adequately counterbalance affirm’s superfluous, in multiple ways, “counterbalance” of afurmanfan’s reasonable question. FUBeAR’s feels that it is incumbent upon him to provide such a strategically valuable and timely counterbalance.
Football and basketball, and let SD just add to that. How about the Wlax facility?
 #86125  by Choir Boy
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:09 pm
Greatest Long term potential? Basketball?
An invite (earned) to the big dance every 40 something years. If that is the case ….then we are in big trouble.
Stumpy liked this
 #86126  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 pm
SD-WLax? :lol: :lol:
yep...

they practice on soccer practice field
they live in former baseball locker-room
they play in football stadium
they have 1 asst coach
the head coach is a former player, now athletic trainer
still... they have a pretty good team. tough schedule so far this year

SD beleives.. if ya gonna do it, do it right
 #86127  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 pm
SD-WLax? :lol: :lol:
yep...

they practice on soccer practice field
they live in former baseball locker-room
they play in football stadium
they have 1 asst coach
the head coach is a former player, now athletic trainer
still... they have a pretty good team. tough schedule so far this year

SD beleives.. if ya gonna do it, do it right
All of that is fine. They took over a state of the art baseball facility. They have more than adequate facilities.
Choir Boy liked this
 #86137  by furpal81
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:13 pm
Haven’t there been recent players who transferred from one SoCon school to another?
Didn’t #77 for Furman transfer from either ETSU or Chatt?
 #86148  by gman84
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:23 pm
furpal81 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:13 pm
Haven’t there been recent players who transferred from one SoCon school to another?
Didn’t #77 for Furman transfer from either ETSU or Chatt?
Grad transfer from ETSU.
furpal81, Davemeister liked this
 #86154  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 am
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Afurmanfan wrote:
Now that the school has pushed the fund raising for Timmons successfully, is the department’s next priority football or a practice facility for basketball?
It seems to me that the sport that has had the most success and also brings the most alumnae and fans on campus needs to be a priority.
“Even though the school is still working hard to raise much-needed additional funding for Timmons renovations, it seems to me that basketball still has important needs. Basketball is always going to be the sport with the greatest long-range potential for bringing strategically valuable and timely national attention to Furman. Apparently there is still the major need to add a new practice facility for our two basketball teams. Is that going to be the department’s next priority after moving the funding of Timmons renovations farther along?”
35 words are clearly needed to adequately counterbalance affirm’s superfluous, in multiple ways, “counterbalance” of afurmanfan’s reasonable question. FUBeAR’s feels that it is incumbent upon him to provide such a strategically valuable and timely counterbalance.
Your counterbalance equals putting your thumb - no, your entire body - on “the scale” (as well as an [ineffective] attempt to insult affirm). We know you always favor football. I know this is the “UFFootballP.” Affirm’s counterbalance to Afurmanfan’s suggestion is valid and legitimate within the contest of the present thread.
 #86155  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:39 am
Choir Boy wrote:
An invite (earned) to the big dance every 40 something years. If that is the case ….then we are in big trouble.
Yes, greatest long-term potential. Every 40 something years is NOT the goal we should want. We should want at least once every 3 or 4 years. But the impact of going even once in 43 years potentially equals one FCS national championship or runner up, in terms of national attention. We should be wanting to go to NCAA Tournament at least 10 times in 43 years. General public - nationally and especially in our part of the county- pays relatively little attention to FCS, compared to the attention the general public pays to March Madness. We all know - everyone knows - today is Selection Sunday. Relatively few people keep up with selection Sunday for FCS playoffs. That is JUST ONE example by which to compare national notice given to basketball versus FCS. I am sorry to say “versus” because I do actually value Furman Football.
Bootie, Choir Boy, QCGlue liked this
 #86162  by Davemeister
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:11 am
Since basketball is fully funded and getting a $40 million facelift, there is no "versus". There is only "Do" or "Do Not".
 #86164  by FUBeAR
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:22 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 am
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Afurmanfan wrote:
Your counterbalance equals putting your thumb - no, your entire body - on “the scale”
Reported for a valid and legitimate fat shaming of FUBeAR!
 #86178  by Choir Boy
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Choir Boy wrote:
Yes, greatest long-term potential. Every 40 something years is NOT the goal we should want. We should want at least once every 3 or 4 years. But the impact of going even once in 43 years potentially equals one FCS national championship or runner up, in terms of national attention. We should be wanting to go to NCAA Tournament at least 10 times in 43 years. General public - nationally and especially in our part of the county- pays relatively little attention to FCS, compared to the attention the general public pays to March Madness. We all know - everyone knows - today is Selection Sunday. Relatively few people keep up with selection Sunday for FCS playoffs. That is JUST ONE example by which to compare national notice given to basketball versus FCS. I am sorry to say “versus” because I do actually value Furman Football.
Potential is unused performance. The facts are 1 NCAA tourney bid in 40 + years. We would like to go every 3 to 4 years hasn’t happened and likely to never happen…. So selection Sunday ain’t getting much air time

- FU is in a financial hole. Giving Coins for NIL vs the big bucks other schools are paying….shhh
- The big schools will poach our best players away and use us as a JV program
- Our academic restrictions and poor post graduate programs vs other SoCon schools
- I am sure our BBall coach and Jason are looking for the next step up the ladder like Nico and Mike Buddie. Adios. Starting all over again….

On the flip side good energetic young coach and upgrades to our BBall facility (not as nice as Davidson’s, but we never had a Seth Curry)

How much did true $ equity bring to FU and our Student enrollment. Hard to quantify that especially over a 40 + year timetable. Our bank statements don’t validate this. Likes or hits on the web or social media can’t be converted into $$
With that said I attended FU when Joe Williams and Stich were here. Great time, teams and atmosphere Would love to see that happen again, but my age is working against watching FU on a selection show again

NCAA is a cluster F working against smallpiss ant schools like us. And all the purple kool aid in the world ain’t going to help

I value FU football for its great leadership, high graduation rate, successful transition into society as a contributing person…a number have made it to the NFL…most contribute to the FFPA to fill financial shortfalls, world class coaches….a brotherhood going strong.

Priceless.
FUBeAR, FUATT, Stumpy liked this
 #86182  by RaleighDin
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:31 pm
Choir Boy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Choir Boy wrote:
Potential is unused performance. The facts are 1 NCAA tourney bid in 40 + years. We would like to go every 3 to 4 years hasn’t happened and likely to never happen…. So selection Sunday ain’t getting much air time

- FU is in a financial hole. Giving Coins for NIL vs the big bucks other schools are paying….shhh
- The big schools will poach our best players away and use us as a JV program
- Our academic restrictions and poor post graduate programs vs other SoCon schools
- I am sure our BBall coach and Jason are looking for the next step up the ladder like Nico and Mike Buddie. Adios. Starting all over again….

On the flip side good energetic young coach and upgrades to our BBall facility (not as nice as Davidson’s, but we never had a Seth Curry)

How much did true $ equity bring to FU and our Student enrollment. Hard to quantify that especially over a 40 + year timetable. Our bank statements don’t validate this. Likes or hits on the web or social media can’t be converted into $$
With that said I attended FU when Joe Williams and Stich were here. Great time, teams and atmosphere Would love to see that happen again, but my age is working against watching FU on a selection show again

NCAA is a cluster F working against smallpiss ant schools like us. And all the purple kool aid in the world ain’t going to help

I value FU football for its great leadership, high graduation rate, successful transition into society as a contributing person…a number have made it to the NFL…most contribute to the FFPA to fill financial shortfalls, world class coaches….a brotherhood going strong.

Priceless.
 #86193  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:17 am
Choir Boy makes some very valid points. I have also read the "one trip to the tourney was a 40 million whatever cyber crypto bucks for Furman" stuff. Where is it? If we have 40 million cyber crypto bucks then surely we can do the following:
1. Bring back baseball fully funded
2. FB practice facility
3. Build a 500 seat WOLAX stadium at one of the fields designated for WOLAX. Build them a locker area and coaches office so no one gets their feelings hurt. Turf it so no one gets their feelings hurt.
 #86194  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:53 am
Fred Garvin wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:17 am
Choir Boy makes some very valid points. I have also read the "one trip to the tourney was a 40 million whatever cyber crypto bucks for Furman" stuff. Where is it? If we have 40 million cyber crypto bucks then surely we can do the following:
1. Bring back baseball fully funded
2. FB practice facility
3. Build a 500 seat WOLAX stadium at one of the fields designated for WOLAX. Build them a locker area and coaches office so no one gets their feelings hurt. Turf it so no one gets their feelings hurt.
By just making the tournament Furman did not get $40 million for the trip to the 2023 tourney. At best, the SoCon will receive $4.0 million dollars for our 2 games, paid out over a period of 6 years. The SoCon divides those $ equally among all of the member teams. At best, Furman will get $400,000 paid out over a period of 6 years . Every school gets the same amount, whether they play in the tournament, or not. https://www.axios.com/2023/03/29/ncaa-b ... ce-payouts