• Spring Practice

#86143  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:14 pm
Drills are one thing. Game conditions are another thing entirely. Everyone throws the ball well in drills. Our D played their game. That includes stunts.
 #86144  by FU3
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:38 pm
Um … pretty sure that is what I said. Merely pointed out the arm strength of the young guys and the hands of our WR’s.Been to all of the spring games under CCH and they all looked pretty much like this one. Fall is when you find out how good you are.
Jasper liked this
 #86145  by tim
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:41 pm
Grant Robinson had a nice run for a TD if the jersey numbers were right.
 #86147  by gman84
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:21 pm
Defense did dominate. And yes the 3 top qbs were pedestrian at best. Nothing I haven’t seen before, and nothing the Eeyore crowd needs to dwell on. What did impress me was the number of deep balls we threw. One thing that was definitely missing last season.
 #86153  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:09 am
Did not watch the game, but a few thoughts on what I've read:

Furman did not attempt a lot of deep balls with Huff last season. My memory may deceive me, but Huff almost never really threw the ball deep downfield. Most of his big passing plays were short routes or finding the TE in broken coverage.

That wasn't the same in the few games Jones started, who really aired it out against VMI. It could be we may see the offense start to get vertical with this new crop of QBs.

I think the run game will still be Furman's DNA, but I also am of the opinion that Furman is as deep at WR as we've potentially ever been. We are probably as deep at the QB position as we've been in years. It would not surprise me if the 2024 Paladins air it out a good bit more than prior teams.
 #86165  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Furman did not attempt a lot of deep balls with Huff last season. My memory may deceive me, but Huff almost never really threw the ball deep downfield. Most of his big passing plays were short routes or finding the TE in broken coverage.

That wasn't the same in the few games Jones started, who really aired it out against VMI. It could be we may see the offense start to get vertical with this new crop of QBs.

I think the run game will still be Furman's DNA, but I also am of the opinion that Furman is as deep at WR as we've potentially ever been. We are probably as deep at the QB position as we've been in years. It would not surprise me if the 2024 Paladins air it out a good bit more than prior teams.
Will prolly have to air it out a lot because I suspect we will be behind a lot. Just sayin’
 #86169  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Will prolly have to air it out a lot because I suspect we will be behind a lot. Just sayin’
I get that you are generally pessimistic, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Furman has to replace some guys that played a lot of football. So does everyone else. Most of the SoCon teams are having to replace key players on both sides of the ball.

I believe you will find that there's a strong core behind a lot of the household names.

The last two seasons Furman has played with a target on its back and went, what, 15-2 against SoCon competition? This past year we were every SoCon team's biggest game of the season.

Which SoCon teams are so loaded that they are going to have Furman chasing them down multiple scores?
 #86201  by FUATT
 Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 am
Great day to be in Paladin stadium.

I think the scrimmage was challenging on a few fronts.

1. Lot of injuries at WR, RB and CB.
2. Lack of continuity with so many new faces.
3. Lack of continuity with constant churn getting so many players reps.
4. The fact that on top of all that, this crew has had about half the practices you normally would before a "spring game"

So this was essentially a mid spring scrimmage and it... looked like a mid spring scrimmage.

To me, the key issue to address going forward is OL. We have a lot of question marks there and showed up yesterday.

The good news is that OL is a historic strength of this staff and if there was one thing you really have confidence this staff can do something about, its OL.

Long way to go and would not read too much into what we saw Saturday just because we had so many dudes out and so many dudes who are still learning.
 #86362  by AllTimeFU
 Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:56 pm
Is tomorrow the last day of Spring practice? Anybody going over to get a last glimpse until August?
 #86790  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:10 pm
Happy Easter, ya’ll! It will be interesting to watch what transpires through the summer. Hoping these guys really come together. It will be an August full of battles!
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #86795  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:01 am
Same to you MD. Only 121 days to the first fall practice, 152 days to kickoff.
dornb liked this
 #87503  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 am
FUATT wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 am
Great day to be in Paladin stadium.

I think the scrimmage was challenging on a few fronts.

1. Lot of injuries at WR, RB and CB.
2. Lack of continuity with so many new faces.
3. Lack of continuity with constant churn getting so many players reps.
4. The fact that on top of all that, this crew has had about half the practices you normally would before a "spring game"

So this was essentially a mid spring scrimmage and it... looked like a mid spring scrimmage.

To me, the key issue to address going forward is OL. We have a lot of question marks there and showed up yesterday.

The good news is that OL is a historic strength of this staff and if there was one thing you really have confidence this staff can do something about, its OL.

Long way to go and would not read too much into what we saw Saturday just because we had so many dudes out and so many dudes who are still learning.
This would be a big concern for me. Hadn’t read the notes until now and this is not surprising. I get we have had less practice. I do. But OL takes a lot of time to come together. Maybe the most of any unit. And with Norman leaving who is returning with starting experience? I’m asking.

Ben a while and I recalled Norman but then learned he left.

Who is returning on OL?

Who are probably the top 6 OL at this point. ?
Hate we lost Norman. He was clearly in starting rotation so that’s one down before we get going
 #87504  by Paul C
 Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 am
Lots of guys with playing experience. Not a lot of guys with starting experience (Luke Petit). Time to find out if all the guys we added over the last few years that were developing behind the vets we had are worth anything. They could be worse. They could be better.

Look up guys like Eli Brasher, Brody Balliew, Ryan Lamb, Chris Luna, Blake Hundley, EJ Wilson….they’ve all been in the program multiple years and been stuck behind entrenched starters.
 #87518  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 am
The OL has been a unit we’ve been looking at closely. Do we actually have our center piece #61? He got 70% of snaps in the Spring game at center. In doing some research he was all state left tackle in Tennessee under Trent Dilfer as Head Coach. That is looking to add even more to the mix.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.