#85671  by gofurman
 Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:57 am
Jasper wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:37 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:23 am
Cold and windy day yesterday. Was able to catch some of the drill sessions and more importantly the full contact scrimmage with each of the main QB's running sets. In that group the one who impressed me the most is Garcia, the redshirt freshman from California. He is the only one who showed real "escapability" - an essential for QB's these days plus a very fine passing arm. (They all do). Looks like there is real competition there. Thats a good thing.

The Defensive front ( Line and LB's) appears to have not lost a step. Pretty much stuffed every run and got after the QB really good on passes. Aside from returnees like Dimaggio and Clark, etc. , some guys who stood out were: Alibi, Chiedo, Dudek and Hernandez. The D backs were often beaten but that is to be expected and they are working hard. IMO, they will not have to face a receiving corps like this one during the season. I am going to stop talking about Hinton so that I don't put the "kibosh" on him but this kid is special. He could grow into one of the biggest offensive forces in the SoCon.

The practice was spirited and intense. Evidence of that is the growing "yellow jersey" contingent on the sidelines.
Despite facing an FBS team etc you don’t think we will see a better receiving corps? That’s crazy. FBS - for SURE (remember USC RECEIVERS KILLING US last year? I mean KILLING US) and I suspect at least two other teams will have better receivers after transfers settle.

Hope we are the best FCS receiver corps in SoCon but we will see.

I am truly concerned with our Dbacks. As we know and has been said here repeatedly “defense beats offense in preseason “. So when offense beats defense in preseason that’s a legitimate concern. Because offense has to execute perfectly to work. Thus why defense usually is ahead of offense early on
I never consider playing against major FBS teams to be anything more than fund raising exhibitions these days. As far as playing in our own weight class, I think we may well have the best corps of receivers. I think our D backs will be just fine after they have been coached up and some gain more experience. I see a lot of pure athleticism out there and that is indispensable. I think it very premature to have a negative view of the D back situation but I if that is where you are comfortable ? Frown away!
No worries. Just teasing as I was taking you literally as I’m sure our FBS opponent will have nasty receivers. That could get ugly vs new DBs
 #85672  by gofurman
 Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 am
FUATT wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:50 am
Yeah, I don't think its cause for panic. Almost everyone has some gaps in the Spring they need to look at and potentially address.

DL we are good. LB too. We are thin at corner. We lost a lot there and have bring some guys along here. We have like a dozen Safeties.

LT need someone to step or portal in. RT looks like NFL off the bus. Interior will be good, we lost two but we have good coming up. Have not heard much on TE, we have guys and Chappel got snaps last year but Pline is hard to replace.

RB we are not healthy right now but if we get healthy we will be fine there.

QB/WR can be very, very good.

I have heard we need LS to improve consistency. Set at PK/KO. Need to replace P.

If you want to Nervous Nellie, its CB and LT.
Agree. DBs mainly. LT / OL.

Anyone ever hear about Jaquan Smith?
 #85711  by FUATT
 Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:41 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 am
FUATT wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:50 am
Yeah, I don't think its cause for panic. Almost everyone has some gaps in the Spring they need to look at and potentially address.

DL we are good. LB too. We are thin at corner. We lost a lot there and have bring some guys along here. We have like a dozen Safeties.

LT need someone to step or portal in. RT looks like NFL off the bus. Interior will be good, we lost two but we have good coming up. Have not heard much on TE, we have guys and Chappel got snaps last year but Pline is hard to replace.

RB we are not healthy right now but if we get healthy we will be fine there.

QB/WR can be very, very good.

I have heard we need LS to improve consistency. Set at PK/KO. Need to replace P.

If you want to Nervous Nellie, its CB and LT.
Agree. DBs mainly. LT / OL.

Anyone ever hear about Jaquan Smith?
All I know is he is not supposed to be available this Spring.
 #85958  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:07 pm
Watched a spirited practice for an hour or so today. Couple of thoughts:
1. We are going to be a young team this year but we have a lot of talent on this squad that we have yet to see much of.
2. This coaching staff is very impressive . They are truly football educators. They are working hard to coach up these young players and it is working. Every drill is geared to improving the players skill set at his position and that is going to pay off. Coaches are constantly working with the players one on one.
3 The o line seems to be really coming together. They are big (avg around 6’4”” and 290) and looked very good today. In the mix for # 1’s are Brasher, Wilson, Luna, Lamb and Norman with Pettit and Huntley. Good mix of experience and underclassman. Brock Chappell at 6’5 and 240 is growing into a classic tight end with hands.
4. Receivers continue to look great the usual names plus a big rangy wideout in 6’4 John Holbrook looking formidable as well as Jalen Walker another redshirt freshman. I am certain that CCH will produce more all SoCon linemen this year. It’s what he does, right?
4 With most of the name RB’ s wearing yellow shirts, a little 5’8” back by the name of Jalil Garvin-Mingo has had a chance to show his stuff. He is tough, fast and elusive and may well be a hidden gem.
5. The scholie QB squad continues to impress with the pecking order of Jones, Garcia and Hedden all showing well and intact. Good competition now and in the summer.
6. Couple of D backs showing well today were Caleb Williams and Jake Pendleton.

I honestly think that CCH is building a lasting program. I hear we are talking with a few grad transfers at position in which we are thin. Good for them. It is a big part of the game today and cannot be ignored.

Right now our biggest concern appears to be RB. I am sure this staff is working on that.
dornb, apaladin, DeepPurple liked this
 #85959  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:50 am
Jasper wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:07 pm
Watched a spirited practice for an hour or so today. Couple of thoughts:
1. We are going to be a young team this year but we have a lot of talent on this squad that we have yet to see much of.
2. This coaching staff is very impressive . They are truly football educators. They are working hard to coach up these young players and it is working. Every drill is geared to improving the players skill set at his position and that is going to pay off. Coaches are constantly working with the players one on one.
3 The o line seems to be really coming together. They are big (avg around 6’4”” and 290) and looked very good today. In the mix for # 1’s are Brasher, Wilson, Luna, Lamb and Norman with Pettit and Huntley. Good mix of experience and underclassman. Brock Chappell at 6’5 and 240 is growing into a classic tight end with hands.
4. Receivers continue to look great the usual names plus a big rangy wideout in 6’4 John Holbrook looking formidable as well as Jalen Walker another redshirt freshman. I am certain that CCH will produce more all SoCon linemen this year. It’s what he does, right?
4 With most of the name RB’ s wearing yellow shirts, a little 5’8” back by the name of Jalil Garvin-Mingo has had a chance to show his stuff. He is tough, fast and elusive and may well be a hidden gem.
5. The scholie QB squad continues to impress with the pecking order of Jones, Garcia and Hedden all showing well and intact. Good competition now and in the summer.
6. Couple of D backs showing well today were Caleb Williams and Jake Pendleton.

I honestly think that CCH is building a lasting program. I hear we are talking with a few grad transfers at position in which we are thin. Good for them. It is a big part of the game today and cannot be ignored.

Right now our biggest concern appears to be RB. I am sure this staff is working on that.
Outstanding report Jasper. Thank you for being there, watching, and sharing your observations, which are positive and encouraging. And we will continue to keep in mind the trauma that this entire group of Furman people have experienced this winter.
dornb, DeepPurple liked this
 #85961  by fupaladin01
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 am
I heard it from a little birdie (who may or may not be on staff) that Trey Hedden is big, athletic, and the clear #1 according to the "eye test". Birdie says might be the best QB we've had in a decade... I'm anxious to see him (as well as Garcia) get some snaps in the Purple/White/Black scrimmage on Saturday.
apaladin liked this
 #85970  by Jasper
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:16 pm
Guess it all depends on what birdie you’re tweeting with. I am hearing lots of promise but not quite ready yet. I am happy that he is an early enrollee and is being very well coached this spring. Kid has a very good arm but so do the other contenders. We might get a better feel for him after the Saturday scrimmage in game conditions.
 #85986  by FUATT
 Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:42 pm
Jasper wrote:
Guess it all depends on what birdie you’re tweeting with. I am hearing lots of promise but not quite ready yet. I am happy that he is an early enrollee and is being very well coached this spring. Kid has a very good arm but so do the other contenders. We might get a better feel for him after the Saturday scrimmage in game conditions.
Hearing very similar. G5 Conference arm, does not know enough yet to really be able to effectively run the offense.

But talent wise, word is he's got as much arm talent as anyone who has played here.
 #86022  by Jasper
 Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:11 pm
FUATT wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:42 pm
Jasper wrote:
Hearing very similar. G5 Conference arm, does not know enough yet to really be able to effectively run the offense.

But talent wise, word is he's got as much arm talent as anyone who has played here.
Yes that is apparent even in drills. I like his thrown ball. He throws a tight spiral but very catchable. I want to see how he moves out of the pocket when necessary. He should get some good snaps in on Saturday.
 #86079  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:59 pm
By class:
52-Freshman/RS Freshman
24-Sophomore/RS Sophomore
12-Junior/RS Junior
12-Senior/Grad
About as young as you can get.
 #86088  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:59 pm
By class:
52-Freshman/RS Freshman
24-Sophomore/RS Sophomore
12-Junior/RS Junior
12-Senior/Grad
About as young as you can get.
That’s what ‘the norm’ looks like. 2023 was the anomaly.
FUwolfpacker, FU3, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #86141  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:23 pm
Be interested to hear what the coach says about the Purple / white practice game. To me, the 3 scholie QB ‘s were underwhelming. So much so that 2 non scholarship guys moved the O the best. Our no name Defensive backfield gave our vaunted receiving corps little separation and made a few interception. John Holbrook a big wideout was the exception. Made a long TD reception from the # 5 QB in the pecking order. The D dominated the scrimmage needless to say.
Maybe it’s just what spring football looks like.? Sure hope so.
 #86142  by FU3
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:41 pm
Typical spring game. What stood out to me was how good our 2 young Safeties played. Came up a several times and drilled RB in the hole and very solid in coverage. Our D threw a ton of stunts and looks at our young QB’s that they didn’t handle all that well but this is why you put them in these situations now. All 3 of the QB’s looked sharp in the 7v7 and have some excellent receivers to throw to. Arm strength is not going to be a problem with any of them. A number of fall starters weren’t dressed because of injury (especially at RB).