• Spring Practice

#85522  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:55 pm
So Jasper, what you are saying is we have real problems on the OL as expected. “Stuffed every run, qbs pressured” .
 #85524  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
So Jasper, what you are saying is we have real problems on the OL as expected. “Stuffed every run, qbs pressured” .
Defenses will almost always be ahead of the offenses in the preseason.
MNORM, FUATT liked this
 #85525  by MNORM
 Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Defenses will almost always be ahead of the offenses in the preseason.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I feel like we have this exact same discussion every Spring/Summer....initiated by the same posts (and possibly the same posters).
gman84 liked this
 #85526  by Davemeister
 Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 pm
We are ALL getting older, and I hope we continue to ask ourselves the same hard questions every Spring.
apaladin liked this
 #85527  by Jasper
 Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
No, not at all. It is usual for defenses to be ahead of offenses at the start. I am also giving credit to the D. We had one of the best if not THE best defense in FCS football last year. We lost some very important pieces of that D but we also retained a lot of good players and the ones I noticed stood out. The O as always is a work in progress and Coach has s great track record of producing outstanding O lineman. I fully expect that to continue next season. The O line is by far the hardest position to put together and takes time.
apaladin, FUATT liked this
 #85532  by The Jackal
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:02 am
I'm not sure the national media took notice of how freakishly good our defense was until mighty Montana looked like they couldn't move the ball half a yard at their home park.

We lost a couple of guys, but our front seven is still going to be really good in 2024.
Jasper liked this
 #85533  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:52 am
You can’t win with scrimmages. If our run d is really good it must mean our ol sucks or vice versa. They can actually both be pretty good.
 #85568  by FUATT
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:57 pm
I would not panic. I have also heard that the O has has some good days so far. We will be ok.
 #85571  by gman84
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:17 pm
O line is pathetic, season over, giving away my season tickets. I need more meds. :o
 #85580  by gofurman
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:23 am
Cold and windy day yesterday. Was able to catch some of the drill sessions and more importantly the full contact scrimmage with each of the main QB's running sets. In that group the one who impressed me the most is Garcia, the redshirt freshman from California. He is the only one who showed real "escapability" - an essential for QB's these days plus a very fine passing arm. (They all do). Looks like there is real competition there. Thats a good thing.

The Defensive front ( Line and LB's) appears to have not lost a step. Pretty much stuffed every run and got after the QB really good on passes. Aside from returnees like Dimaggio and Clark, etc. , some guys who stood out were: Alibi, Chiedo, Dudek and Hernandez. The D backs were often beaten but that is to be expected and they are working hard. IMO, they will not have to face a receiving corps like this one during the season. I am going to stop talking about Hinton so that I don't put the "kibosh" on him but this kid is special. He could grow into one of the biggest offensive forces in the SoCon.

The practice was spirited and intense. Evidence of that is the growing "yellow jersey" contingent on the sidelines.
Despite facing an FBS team etc you don’t think we will see a better receiving corps? That’s crazy. FBS - for SURE (remember USC RECEIVERS KILLING US last year? I mean KILLING US) and I suspect at least two other teams will have better receivers after transfers settle.

Hope we are the best FCS receiver corps in SoCon but we will see.

I am truly concerned with our Dbacks. As we know and has been said here repeatedly “defense beats offense in preseason “. So when offense beats defense in preseason that’s a legitimate concern. Because offense has to execute perfectly to work. Thus why defense usually is ahead of offense early on
 #85597  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:37 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:23 am
Cold and windy day yesterday. Was able to catch some of the drill sessions and more importantly the full contact scrimmage with each of the main QB's running sets. In that group the one who impressed me the most is Garcia, the redshirt freshman from California. He is the only one who showed real "escapability" - an essential for QB's these days plus a very fine passing arm. (They all do). Looks like there is real competition there. Thats a good thing.

The Defensive front ( Line and LB's) appears to have not lost a step. Pretty much stuffed every run and got after the QB really good on passes. Aside from returnees like Dimaggio and Clark, etc. , some guys who stood out were: Alibi, Chiedo, Dudek and Hernandez. The D backs were often beaten but that is to be expected and they are working hard. IMO, they will not have to face a receiving corps like this one during the season. I am going to stop talking about Hinton so that I don't put the "kibosh" on him but this kid is special. He could grow into one of the biggest offensive forces in the SoCon.

The practice was spirited and intense. Evidence of that is the growing "yellow jersey" contingent on the sidelines.
Despite facing an FBS team etc you don’t think we will see a better receiving corps? That’s crazy. FBS - for SURE (remember USC RECEIVERS KILLING US last year? I mean KILLING US) and I suspect at least two other teams will have better receivers after transfers settle.

Hope we are the best FCS receiver corps in SoCon but we will see.

I am truly concerned with our Dbacks. As we know and has been said here repeatedly “defense beats offense in preseason “. So when offense beats defense in preseason that’s a legitimate concern. Because offense has to execute perfectly to work. Thus why defense usually is ahead of offense early on
I never consider playing against major FBS teams to be anything more than fund raising exhibitions these days. As far as playing in our own weight class, I think we may well have the best corps of receivers. I think our D backs will be just fine after they have been coached up and some gain more experience. I see a lot of pure athleticism out there and that is indispensable. I think it very premature to have a negative view of the D back situation but I if that is where you are comfortable ? Frown away!
FurmAlum liked this
 #85638  by FUATT
 Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:50 am
Yeah, I don't think its cause for panic. Almost everyone has some gaps in the Spring they need to look at and potentially address.

DL we are good. LB too. We are thin at corner. We lost a lot there and have bring some guys along here. We have like a dozen Safeties.

LT need someone to step or portal in. RT looks like NFL off the bus. Interior will be good, we lost two but we have good coming up. Have not heard much on TE, we have guys and Chappel got snaps last year but Pline is hard to replace.

RB we are not healthy right now but if we get healthy we will be fine there.

QB/WR can be very, very good.

I have heard we need LS to improve consistency. Set at PK/KO. Need to replace P.

If you want to Nervous Nellie, its CB and LT.
 #85649  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:50 pm
I'd assume O'Dell will get a look at tackle. Granted depending on a rookie is tricky.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.