#84558  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:04 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:35 am
Adding to Jackal's thoughts on Grant…
I don't think we truly know yet the potential a healthy Grant Robinson brings to the table. Before he was injured during the Carolina game Grant showed great speed and shiftiness for a bigger back.

Due to his injury, we didn't see him again till the playoffs—he was a definite problem for the Mocs defense. Against Montana, I'm not sure Grant was playing near 100%.

Furman comes into 2024 with a trio of quality veteran tailbacks, the only concern is when can J Smith return from his knee injury.

We won't know till the pre-season starts… I'm very curious about how quickly Hall and Hester catch on. We saw a pretty immediate impact on the offense with Colton Hinton. Both Hall and Hester are athletic talents - I could see both of them developing into the role Wayne Anderson Jr. has played.

A note; based on his X posts - Hester is serious about his craft. He's continuing to do workouts (privately) on his route running, speed drills, and receiving) it looks like he's serious about competing on day one. Based on interviews and what I've seen from Hall, I believe his mindset will be the same.
Running back will be an interesting group to follow.

Gone are Roberto, Anderson and Huff, who accounted for roughly 350 carries this season.

I suspect bigger workloads for Robinson and Hicks, who have both shown to be big physical backs with that "run angry" makeup. Hopefully Jayquan Smith returns from injury full speed, because he's certainly a talented back as well.

I doubt we'll see any of the QBs this next year run the 100+ times that we saw with Tyler Huff this past season.

We may throw it more, but those 350ish carries are going to have to be distributed among guys we haven't seen a lot of.
 #84633  by FUATT
 Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:18 pm
Posted today:

2024 Furman Spring Practice Schedule
Feb. 8, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 10, AM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 13, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 15, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 17, AM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 20, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 22, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 24, AM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 27, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Feb. 29, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Mar. 12, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Mar. 14, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Mar. 16, 1:00 PM (Purple-White Scrimmage) / Paladin Stadium
Mar. 19, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
Mar. 21, 4:00 PM / Paladin Stadium
gman84 liked this
 #84666  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:22 am
Not sure where he fits in this year's plans, but a couple photos posted the last few weeks appear to show Dylan Chiedo looking like he can open a few jars of pickles.

#84667  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:36 am
A thought on linebackers.

I was a bit concerned at seasons end with the depth chart. We graduated Gilby, Kuzemka, and Sciana. We also lost McCormick, who was injured most of the season.

I am bullish, though

Evan Dimaggio could well be in the running for DPOTY next season. 79 tackles, 11.5 TFLs, and 5 sacks last year and wasn't even really "the" guy at linebacker.

Herbert and Earl were both highly recruited out of high school and have redshirted. Chideo has been in the program a few years and was another guy with a lot of FBS offers. Achina has showed a ton of promise, he just can't seem to stay healthy. Hopefully '24 is his season.

While a few of these guys aren't household names yet, I think our linebacker corps could be really good.
 #84668  by AstroDin
 Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:32 am
Chideo walked past me before the Samford basketball game. The dude is wide and thick - his size and seeing him up close surprised me. I'm very interested to see him this spring.

Same for Herbert and Earl, Herbert recorded a sack in very limited play last season—his quickness for a 6-2 220-plus linebacker was impressive. I've heard great things about Earl too.

Chideo 6-2 235
Earl 6-2 232
Herbert 6-2 223
Achina 6-1 207
 #84672  by cavedweller2
 Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:25 pm
Thems some stout dudes.
 #84681  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:26 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:32 am
Chideo walked past me before the Samford basketball game. The dude is wide and thick - his size and seeing him up close surprised me. I'm very interested to see him this spring.

Same for Herbert and Earl, Herbert recorded a sack in very limited play last season—his quickness for a 6-2 220-plus linebacker was impressive. I've heard great things about Earl too.

Chideo 6-2 235
Earl 6-2 232
Herbert 6-2 223
Achina 6-1 207
And of course add Dimaggio, who is like a heat seeking missile on the field.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.