#84107  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:28 pm
Updated roster is up and "spring" workouts have started.

Just some casual observations
- Colton Hinton now #1
- Trey Hedden on campus. He's #8. I think he's in a few instagram photos running in either early morning/late night workouts. I doubt many of us had our first week at Furman complete with wind sprints in the cold darkness. Hats off to him for getting out there.
- Brock Chappell now #15.
- Max Eubanks on campus. #25. Listed as safety.
- Ty Kauserud on campus. #59. Listed at DT
apaladin, AstroDin liked this
 #84115  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:12 pm
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... arterbacks

Take it for what’s worth, but Stan Becton from NCAA.com list Carson Jones in the “hyped and up next” category of the best post-portal QB’s returning. Granted, he list Jones at Fordham not Furman, and he still has Peavy listed at Mercer (transferred to Maine believe).

List Gonzales and Artopoeus in the tiers as well.
 #84117  by AstroDin
 Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:28 pm
Updated roster is up and "spring" workouts have started.

Just some casual observations
- Colton Hinton now #1
- Trey Hedden on campus. He's #8. I think he's in a few instagram photos running in either early morning/late night workouts. I doubt many of us had our first week at Furman complete with wind sprints in the cold darkness. Hats off to him for getting out there.
- Brock Chappell now #15.
- Max Eubanks on campus. #25. Listed as safety.
- Ty Kauserud on campus. #59. Listed at DT
Need to keep in mind that both Eubanks and Kauserud aren't high school seniors.
Eubanks played at Flowery Branch before going to IMG and had offers from;
AFA, Army, Navy, Fordham, Brown, Columbia, Georgetown.

Kauserud played at Apex Friendship in NC.
 #84124  by gofurman
 Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:26 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:12 pm
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... arterbacks

Take it for what’s worth, but Stan Becton from NCAA.com list Carson Jones in the “hyped and up next” category of the best post-portal QB’s returning. Granted, he list Jones at Fordham not Furman, and he still has Peavy listed at Mercer (transferred to Maine believe).

List Gonzales and Artopoeus in the tiers as well.
It’s correct now. Jones t Furman.

I agree no doubt. Keeping Artopeus and Gonzales was impressive. Artopes in particular seems very accurate. The playoff game without him was a totally different game
 #84126  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:43 am
Spring is going to be interesting to see how things play out.

Offense
Quarterback—a battle for the no. 1. Jones, Hedden, and Garcia - get me some popcorn.
Tight End—I expect a portal transfer to join this group. Chappell will be either no.1 or no. 2. Depth to watch: Tormey and Ruckh.
RB—this group had an injury-riddled 2023. Does last year's end-of-the-year situation with RB injuries change things? I'd look for one more RB to join the group in February (it could be a transfer or an HS senior). Robinson and Hicks will be the core duo. The big question mark is how soon Smith can return from his injury. I think we will see Hall get a lot of PT, Hall is too good, and he's a perfect fit for Roper's scheme.
WR—we're loaded. We know what we have with the core five: J Harris, Ferguson, Hinton, Hughs, and E Harris. Next tier redshirts; Hamilton (6-3) and Holbrook (6-4). Furman brings in two highly-recruited receivers: Hester (5-10), a fast, twitchy track guy, and Varvel (6-3), a long state hurdle champion (Arizona).
Center—Luna should be no. 1. But I would expect a portal transfer to join the mix. Depth; Lamb, Petit (injured).
Guard—players with PT experience: Wilson, Petit, Hundley, Lamb. Depth; Elliott and Garner. We could see a portal transfer here.
Tackle—Norman should be a lock for one tackle spot. I'm just guessing here on the order of the rest of the tackles; there are a lot of young, talented guys that will get their chance. Brasher (6-4, 291), Balliew (6-5, 285), Westerman (6-2, 270). Furman signed three tackles in the early signing period. O'Dell is a massive dude (6-7 297) and appears to have the skill set to match his physical attributes. I think O'Dell sees a lot of PT in 20204. Gregorek and Akinsola could see some action.

When you look at what Furman can put on the field in 2024, I think it's going to be exciting to see this group develop. On paper, you would think the passing game is going to see a jump in production.
Jasper liked this
 #84301  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:56 pm
I remember before the Montana game their fans wondering how Furman would handle the elements in Missoula. Coach Hendrix said something to the effect that we had trained for it. It didn't look like the elements bothered us one bit.

Now I'm looking at photos of the team doing preseason workouts in midJanuary. They're outside, in the dark, with temps in the teens and low 20s this week.

Furman is already preparing to play outdoors in South Dakota and Montana.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #84303  by gman84
 Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:52 pm
These workouts are nothing new. CCH has had this in place for several years.
 #84307  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:57 pm
gman84 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:52 pm
These workouts are nothing new. CCH has had this in place for several years.
LOL - yeah - he had them in place when he was playing in ‘Spring’ of 1983…and actually … he put them in about 4 years before he arrived at Furman…when he was a Freshman at Commerce High.
Chuckles liked this
 #84347  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 pm
Is anyone hearing what the Spring schedule is going to be? When might we get a read on these youngsters in waiting? Lots of names mentioned in the posts above.
 #84442  by gman84
 Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:43 am
Spring practice to start in early February. I don’t know what the actual schedule will be.
 #84533  by FUATT
 Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:11 pm
I think Feb. 8 is first day.
 #84553  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:39 am
There were a few weight change updates on the roster.

Two that seemed worth mentioning is Carson Jones listed now at 214 (was at 198).

Grant Robinson is now listed at 222. He's going to be a problem for SoCon defenses in '24, I think.
AstroDin liked this
 #84554  by AstroDin
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:35 am
Adding to Jackal's thoughts on Grant…
I don't think we truly know yet the potential a healthy Grant Robinson brings to the table. Before he was injured during the Carolina game Grant showed great speed and shiftiness for a bigger back.

Due to his injury, we didn't see him again till the playoffs—he was a definite problem for the Mocs defense. Against Montana, I'm not sure Grant was playing near 100%.

Furman comes into 2024 with a trio of quality veteran tailbacks, the only concern is when can J Smith return from his knee injury.

We won't know till the pre-season starts… I'm very curious about how quickly Hall and Hester catch on. We saw a pretty immediate impact on the offense with Colton Hinton. Both Hall and Hester are athletic talents - I could see both of them developing into the role Wayne Anderson Jr. has played.

A note; based on his X posts - Hester is serious about his craft. He's continuing to do workouts (privately) on his route running, speed drills, and receiving) it looks like he's serious about competing on day one. Based on interviews and what I've seen from Hall, I believe his mindset will be the same.
 #84555  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:55 am
AstroDin wrote:
I don't think we truly know yet the potential a healthy Grant Robinson brings to the table. Before he was injured during the Carolina game Grant showed great speed and shiftiness for a bigger back.

Due to his injury, we didn't see him again till the playoffs—he was a definite problem for the Mocs defense. Against Montana, I'm not sure Grant was playing near 100%.

Furman comes into 2024 with a trio of quality veteran tailbacks, the only concern is when can J Smith return from his knee injury.
Agree - much more so than others who have previously been compared to the legendary #27, Grant Robinson reminds FUBeAR of that Standiford Jenkins fella. His ceiling looks very, very lofty.

That said…we all know the first, most predictive ability is AVAIL-ability.

2024 will be Robinson’s 4th Fall on the Furman Football roster and he only has 61 touches, 252 yards, and 1 TD in his account. HE’S JUST GOTTA STAY HEALTHY THIS SEASON. Speaking as someone who dealt with major injuries in 2 of his 1st 3 FU seasons, that’s a lot easier said that done…but he’s just gotta!
 #84557  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:59 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:55 am
AstroDin wrote:

Agree - much more so than others who have previously been compared to the legendary #27, Grant Robinson reminds FUBeAR of that Standiford Jenkins fella. His ceiling looks very, very lofty.

That said…we all know the first, most predictive ability is AVAIL-ability.

2024 will be Robinson’s 4th Fall on the Furman Football roster and he only has 61 touches, 252 yards, and 1 TD in his account. HE’S JUST GOTTA STAY HEALTHY THIS SEASON. Speaking as someone who dealt with major injuries in 2 of his 1st 3 FU seasons, that’s a lot easier said that done…but he’s just gotta!
I think Robinson redshirted in '21 and then in '22 was a reserve behind Roberto/Abrams.

'23 could have just been one of "those seasons."

He had a 6.5 yard per carry average against TTU in week 1. We didn't really see him again until the UTC game in the playoffs. That's a good Moc defense and they really didn't seem to have much of an answer for him.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.