• Transfer Portal & NIL - General Discussion

#83885  by Thorny
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:59 pm
Bootie wrote:So my next question in this topic is: who are the fools that are responsible for creating this fiasco, and how do we keep them from making any future decisions about what they think is good for college sports?
I don't think anyone made these decisions. The current landscape in University athletics certainly is not what the NCAA wants, Universities want, fans want, or what coaches want but when all these parties can't come to an agreement about what they want, especially with certain options being off the table due to legal constraints, we get this...

I can't come up with a way that is more fair to student athletes. If you play well you get to move to a higher profile University, make more money, get better coaching, facilities, and exposure. If you don't you make less money, less exposure, and will be possibly shoved out your respective athletic program.

But that's the thing. Does anyone have a better idea on how to make things more fair for student athletes given the legal constraints and meeting the demands of all of the stake holders?

There are many things I don't like about the current landscape of college athletics but I think this was a long time coming. I don't like student athletes reshuffling to see the best deal they can get every year but coaches already did that. I don't like the de-emphases on academics as it not only devalues the degrees that student athletes receive but also the degrees that non-student athletes receive. However, student athletes were already often picking the easiest majors, being told they couldn't pick certain majors, not showing up to classes, not getting the same internship, research, and educational opportunities as non-student athletes due to time constraints, etc. so maybe that ship had already sailed as well...
 #83887  by Mud chigger68
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:57 pm
I recall watching a credible performance by Furman in 1987 vs eventually 2nd ranked FSU which featured one Deion Sanders. When the Florida legislature became aware that Prime hadn't bothered to go to class that fall semester, they passed the so-called Deion Sanders rule whereby an athlete had to be enrolled in class. We’ve come a :shock: long way baby!
 #83907  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:44 pm
100% of the ‘blame’ falls on the University Presidents (UP’s) / CEO’s and their Boards.

Every other stakeholder involved has been either just doing their jobs, looking out for their companies / organizations, and/or looking out for themselves (which was their only responsibility as 18-22 year olds). Even the spineless, ridiculously compensated NCAA Executives FUBeAR likes to trash have just been doing the bidding of the UP’s/Boards.

UP’s began really understanding the revenue engine that Football / Basketball could be in the mid- to late-80’s and stopped viewing it as the “Front Porch.” It became the “Boiler Room” (in the Wolf of Wallstreet, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Big Short, Boiler Room context) of the University. And then it became BIGGER.

The only Stakeholders that were duty-bound, and, thus, should have recognized that the beast was outgrowing its cage and threatening the integrity (For you younger readers…As shocking as this may seem, Colleges and Universities, at one time, were not paragons of hypocrisy and they actually had institutional integrity) of their institutions. Whether via groupthink or actually conspiring, they just said “Damn the Toreros. Full Speed Ahead!” UP’s felt that the NCAA could provide cover for them while they raked the GridHoopsKwan (currency symbol = GHK) into their coffers / paychecks. They saw the tide ( not that Crimson one from AL) was rising and upheaval was in the offing, but just one more fix (TV Contract), Lord, might do the trick…delay, litigate, appease, hand out crumbs, and now a little cake…and so it goes.

So, now they know this is all a house of cards, they know the Biz is going from STAR to Cash Cow and they have positioned all of their automated teat-squeezers to suck every last drop out … before Intercollegiate Athletics is forced to become a legitimate business / professional sports league and ‘gain’ ALL (unions, contracts, strikes, etc.) of the rights and privileges of such.

They saw it and they could have avoided it by forcing themselves to restrain themselves and their athletics programs within the framework of logic that placed Athletics within University settings since whenever that first occurred. But - they didn’t.

Ol’ Lucre is a powerhouse. Unlike that 1 other thing that remains undefeated, some people have overcome their lust for Lucre…just not these UP’s.
Bootie, FurmAlum liked this
 #83908  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:32 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:39 pm
I don’t think you actually have to be enrolled at a school anymore to play football for them.
Yep just look at UNC basketball a couple of years ago. Players never went to class got false grades and all was good. No problem. NCAA did nothing,
This. SO MUCH THIS. UNC showed - book was written by UNCs own professors saying they were forced to make sure kids on teams got As. At CLASSY UNC. can’t spell class without ASS. player came forward and admitted it was ALL TRUE. Kudos to him for going the ethical path and blowing the whistle ( McCants? Can’t recall who it was specifically. Someone from around 2000? ). A local Greenville attorney - very well known - was at UNC undergrad then and told me that when the African American Studies professor said “everyone will get an A” he questioned it and the professor said “don’t worry, we got you, EVERYONE will get an A” … so to his credit he immediately dropped the class as he didn’t want his undergraduate degree to be questioned later.. went on to get his law degree. Good man. Wasn’t an athlete there. Just a good student. And quite impressive of him to share that. Said he saw that it was pretty much exactly what the accusations vs UNC that were later brought. He couldn’t believe they went so unscathed. Didn’t even take away the national titles like they did to Louisville. He’s a huge UNC fan and still can’t believe it.

Though to their - UNC - credit ( I guess? ) UNC really used the rules. NCAA can only punish if you give impermissible benefits to athletes O N L Y. UNC gave EVERYONE free passes of a free ‘A’ in several classes. Whether you were an athlete or NOT. so UNC was rewarded for cheating MORE than the NCAA had accounted for anyone ever doing !!!!! Smart. And dumb of the NCAA
 #83911  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:12 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:32 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:39 pm
I don’t think you actually have to be enrolled at a school anymore to play football for them.
Yep just look at UNC basketball a couple of years ago. Players never went to class got false grades and all was good. No problem. NCAA did nothing,
This. SO MUCH THIS. UNC showed - book was written by UNCs own professors saying they were forced to make sure kids on teams got As. At CLASSY UNC. can’t spell class without ASS. player came forward and admitted it was ALL TRUE. Kudos to him for going the ethical path and blowing the whistle ( McCants? Can’t recall who it was specifically. Someone from around 2000? ). A local Greenville attorney - very well known - was at UNC undergrad then and told me that when the African American Studies professor said “everyone will get an A” he questioned it and the professor said “don’t worry, we got you, EVERYONE will get an A” … so to his credit he immediately dropped the class as he didn’t want his undergraduate degree to be questioned later.. went on to get his law degree. Good man. Wasn’t an athlete there. Just a good student. And quite impressive of him to share that. Said he saw that it was pretty much exactly what the accusations vs UNC that were later brought. He couldn’t believe they went so unscathed. Didn’t even take away the national titles like they did to Louisville. He’s a huge UNC fan and still can’t believe it.

Though to their - UNC - credit ( I guess? ) UNC really used the rules. NCAA can only punish if you give impermissible benefits to athletes O N L Y. UNC gave EVERYONE free passes of a free ‘A’ in several classes. Whether you were an athlete or NOT. so UNC was rewarded for cheating MORE than the NCAA had accounted for anyone ever doing !!!!! Smart. And dumb of the NCAA
Little Miss FUBeAR got a free loaner car for a few weeks at Ole Miss for this same purpose.

Think she would have preferred a free “A,” but FUBeAR was very appreciative that the Chevy dealership in Oxford needed to document how liberal their loaning of free cars to ALL Ole Miss students was…

“SEE Mr. FUBeAR…it’s not just the Football RebelBearLandSharks we love! Sure we give those guys Corvettes and Pimped out full sized SUV’s and Pick-ups for months on end while we put their mopeds in our crazy-backed-up queue for an oil change, but your daughter only needed a car for a couple of weeks while we waited on the part (that we actually have on the shelf in the back), so we just gave her that nice Malibu. Does that work for you sir? Cuz we LOVE ALL Ole Miss students and and want to make you happy. She’s NOT an athlete here, right?”

It was more fun the old way, too.
 #83947  by FurmAlum
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:49 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
100% of the ‘blame’ falls on the University Presidents (UP’s) / CEO’s and their Boards.

Every other stakeholder involved has been either just doing their jobs, looking out for their companies / organizations, and/or looking out for themselves (which was their only responsibility as 18-22 year olds). Even the spineless, ridiculously compensated NCAA Executives FUBeAR likes to trash have just been doing the bidding of the UP’s/Boards.

UP’s began really understanding the revenue engine that Football / Basketball could be in the mid- to late-80’s and stopped viewing it as the “Front Porch.” It became the “Boiler Room” (in the Wolf of Wallstreet, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Big Short, Boiler Room context) of the University. And then it became BIGGER.

The only Stakeholders that were duty-bound, and, thus, should have recognized that the beast was outgrowing its cage and threatening the integrity (For you younger readers…As shocking as this may seem, Colleges and Universities, at one time, were not paragons of hypocrisy and they actually had institutional integrity) of their institutions. Whether via groupthink or actually conspiring, they just said “Damn the Toreros. Full Speed Ahead!” UP’s felt that the NCAA could provide cover for them while they raked the GridHoopsKwan (currency symbol = GHK) into their coffers / paychecks. They saw the tide ( not that Crimson one from AL) was rising and upheaval was in the offing, but just one more fix (TV Contract), Lord, might do the trick…delay, litigate, appease, hand out crumbs, and now a little cake…and so it goes.

So, now they know this is all a house of cards, they know the Biz is going from STAR to Cash Cow and they have positioned all of their automated teat-squeezers to suck every last drop out … before Intercollegiate Athletics is forced to become a legitimate business / professional sports league and ‘gain’ ALL (unions, contracts, strikes, etc.) of the rights and privileges of such.

They saw it and they could have avoided it by forcing themselves to restrain themselves and their athletics programs within the framework of logic that placed Athletics within University settings since whenever that first occurred. But - they didn’t.

Ol’ Lucre is a powerhouse. Unlike that 1 other thing that remains undefeated, some people have overcome their lust for Lucre…just not these UP’s.
FUBeAR that was extremely well written and I agree 100%. That needs to be published in the Charlotte Observer, Greenville News, and The Atlanta Journal/Constitution. While we're at it why not the NY Times, Wall St. Journal, and Washington Post.
FUBeAR, Bootie liked this
 #83949  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:02 am
Mud chigger68 wrote:
I recall watching a credible performance by Furman in 1987 vs eventually 2nd ranked FSU which featured one Deion Sanders. When the Florida legislature became aware that Prime hadn't bothered to go to class that fall semester, they passed the so-called Deion Sanders rule whereby an athlete had to be enrolled in class. We’ve come a :shock: long way baby!
I was there and on the coaches show the next morning Coach Bowden said their sideline looked like a hospital with so many hurt players. Gave FU a lot of credit. The game was close at half maybe 20-7? FU took the second half kickoff the length of the field but fumbled at the 5 and they returned it 95 yards for a TD. Final was 41-10.
 #83952  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:

, but just one more fix (TV Contract), Lord, might do the trick…
One hell of a price for them to get their kicks.
FUBeAR, Bootie liked this
 #83953  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:24 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:02 am
Mud chigger68 wrote:
I was there and on the coaches show the next morning Coach Bowden said their sideline looked like a hospital with so many hurt players. Gave FU a lot of credit. The game was close at half maybe 20-7? FU took the second half kickoff the length of the field but fumbled at the 5 and they returned it 95 yards for a TD. Final was 41-10.
Was also there. Flew in from home in Cali. Your recollection of some of the specifics differed from FUBeAR’s … so he went to the ‘tape.’

https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf

Didn’t fumble after driving the length of the field (70 yards in 13 grueling plays, 10 on the ground) with the 2nd half opening possession. Went for it - to make it a 1 score game - on 4th and Goal from the 1, but lost 4 yards … option pitch (Keith Moore to Kennet Goldsmith) may have been bobbled; not sure.

On the 1st play after FSU’s 4 play goal line stand, Seminole Sammie Smith went 95 yards, untouched, right up the middle, and our Paladins’ hopes for the upset dissipated with his every stride. Just not gonna come back on the #4 Team in I-A Football being down 3 scores.

Also - we have a recollection difference on the source of the ‘medical analysis’ of FSU’s Team. While Bowden did say some extremely complimentary things about Furman - his post-game quotes can be found in the linked game recap - and he may have said what you recall on his Coach’s show on Sunday, FUBeAR distinctly recalls seeing a replay of a video of an in-game, late 1st half sideline report done by the at-the-game ‘homer’ in the clip below…where he said something like, ‘The FSU sidelines resembles a MASH unit right now…’ as the accompanying video showed various Criminoles laid out with ice on their various body part, including Deion lying supine on the bench with ice on his head and towels over his face. The audio was the guy listing off all of their injuries and their likelihood of return. Wish FUBeAR could find that one, but, alas, his internet stalking skills / research skills seem to be trending the way of his blitz pickup agility.

Anyway - one helluva a game (until the 95 yard run) and one helluva weekend spent with a fellow Paladin Teammate and his HS Teammate, an FSU-man … who became a lifetime FUBeAR friend…and who we just lost last year to pancreatic cancer. F cancer! Glad y’all brought this game up - thinking about it and my FSU buddy (who also played a little Fullback at Newberry before transferring to Tallahassee) always brings a big smile to FUBeAR’s face.
 #83958  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:23 pm
Bootie wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 am
“Seminoles sideline looks like a hospital ward tonight. Let’s go down to Barry Milligan for a report…”

That’s the one - obviously FUBeAR’s memory, as Coach Billy S. said, has been advantaged by the years, but he wasn’t too far off the mark.

Considering FUBeAR (and pals) had no hotel rooms booked for Friday or Saturday and, let’s just say, ‘lived off the land’ in Tallahassee for the weekend, using The Phyrst (see pic) as our All-Day Party HQ, it’s quite remarkable that FUBeAR has any recollection of the game at all.