• Transfer Portal & NIL - General Discussion

#83700  by Bootie
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:03 am
Lately, in general conversations or TV talking heads, I hear nothing but disdain for what the portal and NIL has done to college football. I know that’s where I am on the subject. I have not heard anyone arguing the side of how much good it has brought.

I’m just curious to find the people who might make the argument that it’s a good thing, and get an idea of what the size of that group is, as well as hear their argument.

What is general consensus here? Is it a good thing? A bad thing? Are there any people here who feel it has changed things for the better instead of the worse?
 #83701  by paladinfan12
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:40 am
In the general effort to graduate from college, transferring is typically a step backward. Usually when one transfers they will change majors, re-take general ed requirements, and get into a situation where credits do not transfer easily. The transfer portal is great for a kid who has already graduated or a kid who is OK taking an extra year of college to get a different degree, but when the "year sit-out" rule was removed it really increased the opportunity for a kid to transfer for a sport and not realize that they probably won't graduate.

I do not like the portal for that reason. I could care less about coaches moaning about roster management. The portal is bad for the student.
Bootie, QCGlue, FurmanATT liked this
 #83705  by Thorny
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:51 pm
My thoughts:

Kids should be able to switch schools and do what is best for them. There is no reason having a personality conflict with a coach, especially since said coach might of not recruited them, or getting beat out for the starting job should be the end of someone's career as a student athlete.

I'm not sure how to apply guard rails to NIL money but it makes me queezy.

Schools are going to make transferring for student athletes easier...way easier.
When high schools started letting kids graduate early/ Universities started letting kids enroll early so they could attend spring practice, it was radical. It also trickled down to Furman's *level* in no time because that was what it took to be competitive in recruiting if a University was serious about football. I'm a pretty smart cookie but I didn't think to talk to my guidance counselor about skipping my spring term of my senior year nor does anyone else...outside of athletes. If Universities and high schools are already willing to bend that much in the name of college football, letting all transfer, major, GPA requirements go flying out the window seems like a no brainer.
Bootie, FurmanATT liked this
 #83709  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:47 pm
FUBeAR would imagine that the Professional mercenaries previously known as Student Athletes would say that the Transfer Portal & NIL (particularly the pay-to-come / pay-to-stay “Collectives”) have been wonderful for the game of “College” Football.

5 year olds will, undoubtedly, say that a diet of only candy, candy canes, candy corns, and maple syrup provides perfect nutrition for them.

Opium addicts are beyond certain that just one more fix, Lord, might do the trick.

FUBeAR thinks we’re headed for this…

…but, maybe not. FBS “College” Football is, now, nothing more than BAD Reality TV. But, our current ‘society’ eats up BAD Reality TV.

FUBeAR doesn’t understand why anyone would watch “Granny Bachelorette Season 7 - Schenectady.” And FUBeAR doesn’t understand how any College Football fan can bear to watch a bunch of well-compensated 1-year Rental Players competing against another bunch of well-compensated 1-year Rental Players, much less care about it. FUBeAR does not.

That said - heard tickets for the FBS Natl Championship Game were going for as high as $54k.

FUBeAR bets those people paying $54k to attend a pretend “College” Football game for a pretend Championship have the debut episode of “90 Day Fiancée - 1st Cousins” bookmarked to stream.
Bootie, Choir Boy, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #83710  by Choir Boy
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:56 pm
FUBAR
If you don't know what that means...watch Saving Private Ryan....

NCAA CFB sold its soul to the almighty $$ from TV ESPN...CBS...Fox...Disney
NCAA has lost all credibility ...waited to long to act on this NIL proposal 10 years in the making....
This a microcosm of American Society today....pay for play....no loyalty...$$$$...micro wave fixes....

Power 5 Conferences.....
The Rich Schools will lead the way.....$$....Texas / Texas A&M / USC.....BAMA has bee paying players for years....so I will leave them out....

The few institutions that sill have moral fiber will become obsolete....ND, Furman
Ole Miss located in Mississipi (the poorest state in the nation)....has found a pot of gold and is buying every decent need player in site....example....Deon Smith....signed with LSU....played sparingly in year one (behind 2 all American WRs)...transfered to a JC.....now going to Ole Miss....showed up on campus this week in a new Ferrari....

When Arch Manning is making $3.5 M for sitting on the bench (and he is not as good as advertised) and Brock Purdy QB for San Fran in the NFL is making $425 K......what???

Deon's boys at Colorado.....cha Ching ...driving Bentleys....with parking tickets galore.....Coach Prime...wants free campus parking for his players....

Players are Guns for hire...some have played in 4 to 5 schools already over a 7 year period.....no loyalty...allegiance...

Need some rules...law and order in the transfer portal.....out of control

You will see more and more players betting on games....and getting caught.....more fights and malcontents in the lockeroom when they find their CB on the other side of the field is making more money than he is, but he is a better player....

You have to pay taxes on this money....cha Ching...

Are there any more Academic restrictions anymore....do the atlhletes go to class....if not does the NCAA have any jurisdiction to do anything about it...?

IAA will become a feeder program for Power 5 schools....and the non ethical 1 AA schools....UTC, ETSU, KSU. JSU....will take all of the Power 5 portal players who could not find a job/team....with malcontents and have to deal with it....

As you can tell I am opinionated about it and think it sux.....NCAA waited to late in addressing this and now it has become a cluster ****

In the premise of bitching and offering a solution....here you go

Hire a full-time Commissioner of CFB aka....CZAR......like Judge Kennesaw Landis....we can start with Nick Saban as the CZAR...institute controls / guidelines / time periods and penalties....

As my colleague in arms DL76 has said....TMB....Turn My Back on the Fiasco.....Going forward I quench my love of CFB with watching the Army v Navy game.....and follow Furman until FU decentralizes Football into a Powder Puff Sport or castrate like we did Baseball......

I strongly believe every CFB Coach in America agrees with these sentiments, but are afraid to voice them because it will hurt them in recruiting and retaining players.....

Adios Biotches....God Bless America
Bootie liked this
 #83714  by Mud chigger68
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:07 pm
Can someone clarify this question. It used to be that a student had to acquire half of his or her credits from their school to graduate. Having finished FU in the late 60's, I recall that a lot of folks with low gpa's would transfer after 2 years to take their hours and start a new gp calculation. This would be a problem now if someone portalized frequently. Does that general rule still exist?
 #83764  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:39 pm
I don’t think you actually have to be enrolled at a school anymore to play football for them.
QCGlue, apaladin, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #83766  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:32 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:39 pm
I don’t think you actually have to be enrolled at a school anymore to play football for them.
Yep just look at UNC basketball a couple of years ago. Players never went to class got false grades and all was good. No problem. NCAA did nothing,
Choir Boy liked this
 #83878  by Bootie
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:22 pm
So my next question in this topic is: who are the fools that are responsible for creating this fiasco, and how do we keep them from making any future decisions about what they think is good for college sports?
 #83879  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:26 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:22 pm
So my next question in this topic is: who are the fools that are responsible for creating this fiasco, and how do we keep them from making any future decisions about what they think is good for college sports?
It has ruined college football especially, but I guess few others than me think that.
 #83881  by FurmanATT
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:47 pm
FUBeAR would imagine that the Professional mercenaries previously known as Student Athletes would say that the Transfer Portal & NIL (particularly the pay-to-come / pay-to-stay “Collectives”) have been wonderful for the game of “College” Football.

5 year olds will, undoubtedly, say that a diet of only candy, candy canes, candy corns, and maple syrup provides perfect nutrition for them.

Opium addicts are beyond certain that just one more fix, Lord, might do the trick.

FUBeAR thinks we’re headed for this…

…but, maybe not. FBS “College” Football is, now, nothing more than BAD Reality TV. But, our current ‘society’ eats up BAD Reality TV.

FUBeAR doesn’t understand why anyone would watch “Granny Bachelorette Season 7 - Schenectady.” And FUBeAR doesn’t understand how any College Football fan can bear to watch a bunch of well-compensated 1-year Rental Players competing against another bunch of well-compensated 1-year Rental Players, much less care about it. FUBeAR does not.

That said - heard tickets for the FBS Natl Championship Game were going for as high as $54k.

FUBeAR bets those people paying $54k to attend a pretend “College” Football game for a pretend Championship have the debut episode of “90 Day Fiancée - 1st Cousins” bookmarked to stream.
You'd've made a helluva columnist if there was money in that. -- MD
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.