• The “youngsters” we have not seen play yet

#83270  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:13 pm
I am looking forward to seeing the last couple of recruiting classes get to show their talent. At practice one day one of our all- American OL players said Chris Luna will be all Socon.
I also want to see some of the young linebackers like Chiedo, Earl and Herbert. Also want to see Bussey and Stoneking at DE.
WR with Ferguson, Hinton, the two Harris’s. Hamilton and Holbrook should be good. And I expect us to probably have a better passing attack- but will sure miss what Tyler meant from leadership and taking a broken play to the end zone.
That’s just a few but I know the coaches really like our younger talent.
 #83272  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:28 pm
A few players I think will soon be household names next year:

WR: Ethan Harris. He has shown some impressive flashes in limited time. I suspect he'll fill in the role occupied by Shiflett/Dean.

CB: Charles Ingrham. There will be some big opportunities for defensive backs this year, and he seems one of heir apparents at CB.

FS: AK Burrell. Played in all 13 games as a true freshman. Seems like the heir apparent to Hugh Ryan's spot.

SS: Caleb Williams. Was understudy to Kam Brinson, but has already played in 24 games and has spent a lot of time at SS already.

RB: Grant Robinson. We saw small flashes of Robinson's ability late in the season. He's got size and quickness.

LB: Earl, Chideo, Achina, Herbert. Those guys seem like they are going to fill in the next wave of great Furman linebackers. Hopefully Dimaggio returns for is final season and these guy scan play second fiddle in what should be their first real substantive action.

OL: Chris Luna. looked like Luna dressed out most of Furman's games. Didn't have a lot of playing time, but is a guy you can tell the coaching staff already trusts.

DE: Bussey and Stoneking. These guys in limited action already look like they are ready to go.
 #83274  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:42 pm
I'm excited to see this WR group develop as well.

Harris has already established himself as one of the league's better pass catchers. Hinton and Ferguson have made a mark too as impressive slot guys.

I think next year we'll really see what Ethan Harris can do. He has a lot of potential.

I'm also excited to see two young guys - Ja'Keith Hamilton and John Holbrook. Both are big guys, 6'3 and 6'4.
 #83277  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:12 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:08 pm
And at cb. Molson has 20 fbs offers. And at ng Hernandez who is 6-4 and 314 pounds- we had offered him out of high school. Also at OL Ballew had offers from ga so among 16 offers.
Molson looked like one of the first guys off the bench when the reserves played. I suspect we'll see a lot of him.
 #83278  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:43 pm
It's going to be a fun spring to see how all these redshirted players perform.

I think we will see several true freshman battles for PT.

Steven O'Dell - Broome OT 6-7, 305. One of the largest human beings I've seen in person, and the dude is an athlete.
Bruce Kanuber - Greenville DT/NG 6-2, 300. With the way Furman rotates its front seven, I think we will see Knauber.
Jeremiah Gavin Hall - Gainesville RB 5-11, 178. Too much talent to keep off the field.
Devin Hester - Cedar Shoals WR 5-10, 165. Too much talent to keep off the field.
Last but not least - Trey Hedden - Tampa Catholic QB 6-3, 205. Hedden arriving in time for Spring ball, should help his chances of being in the mix for playing time at QB.
 #83284  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Steven O'Dell - Broome OT 6-7, 305. One of the largest human beings I've seen in person, and the dude is an athlete.
Bruce Kanuber - Greenville DT/NG 6-2, 300. With the way Furman rotates its front seven, I think we will see Knauber.
Jeremiah Gavin Hall - Gainesville RB 5-11, 178. Too much talent to keep off the field.
Devin Hester - Cedar Shoals WR 5-10, 165. Too much talent to keep off the field.
Last but not least - Trey Hedden - Tampa Catholic QB 6-3, 205. Hedden arriving in time for Spring ball, should help his chances of being in the mix for playing time at QB.
I don’t get this. Even Jackal etc said we don’t ever won’t to get back to playing inexperienced freshman QBs. Why would we want Heiden in the mix??? We are SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER - significantly better(!) when we have QBs develop and start as juniors after learning our system for 2/3 years. By many counts even #5 is borderline too young. We were always best with a guy learning for 2/3 years and only then starting. A great system of learning and maturation …

Our best years since 2000.
QB? Junior or Senior Ingle Martin (exception here of freakish talent)
Elder Billy Napier to 2001 title game
Elder Huff (never lost a SoCon game!!!!!!!) junior and senior. Might be new to us - I admit - but all of these were juniors and seniors. All of em.
 #83285  by gman84
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:49 pm
In a perfect world. Yes, you don’t want to play freshman qbs. But if somebody proves ready and capable, then you consider playing them. If he enrolls in January, then he has spring ball and camp to compete.

Also, when did Jackal become the qb guru on the board? Just a joke jackal, lol.
AstroDin liked this
 #83310  by AstroDin
 Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:30 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I don’t get this. Even Jackal etc said we don’t ever won’t to get back to playing inexperienced freshman QBs. Why would we want Heiden in the mix??? We are SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER - significantly better(!) when we have QBs develop and start as juniors after learning our system for 2/3 years. By many counts even #5 is borderline too young. We were always best with a guy learning for 2/3 years and only then starting. A great system of learning and maturation …

Elder Huff (never lost a SoCon game!!!!!!!) junior and senior. Might be new to us - I admit - but all of these were juniors and seniors. All of em.
GoFu… life and how things work out isn't just black and white. In a perfect world, you have a point. But the reality is a bit different. Furman will start spring ball with a redshirt sophomore, a redshirt freshman, and a true freshman competing for the QB position. That's the reality!
gman84 liked this
 #83311  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:55 am
All of these issues provide context.

Who is the better QB?

QB 1: 164-271 (60.5%), 2,326 yards, 14 tds, 13 ints.
QB 2: 197-295 (66.8%), 2,456 yards, 20 tds, 9 ints.

QB1 is Billy Napier in 2001, who led Furman to a national title appearance.

QB2 is Reese Hannon in 2016, who led Furman to a 3-8 record.

Billy Napier, in 15 games, threw for few tds, fewer completions, and fewer yards than Hannon managed in 9 games.

In 2019, Darren Grainger, a freshman, threw for 13 tds on 161 attempts. Would you believe me if I told you that Darren Grainger as a freshman threw for 1 fewer TD and 10 fewer interceptions than Billy Napier did in 2001 (in two fewer games)?

Context matters. One size doesn't fit all. Some QBs a "great" in part because they are surrounded by more talent than others.

*I still maintain that Reese Hannon just played in the wrong era of Furman football. We sometimes forget about him, but he's arguably in the conversation of best QB in program history. He just played on some terrible teams.
Bootie, AstroDin, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #83329  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:33 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:01 pm
David Whitehurst was a freshman when he lead a turnaround that got Furman named most improved team in the country.
The right kind of freshman can deliver- it is just rather rare.
I seem to remember Armanti Edwards playing reasonably well as a Freshman right out of Greenwood.
AstroDin, dornb, Bootie liked this
 #83334  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:04 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:33 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:01 pm
David Whitehurst was a freshman when he lead a turnaround that got Furman named most improved team in the country.
The right kind of freshman can deliver- it is just rather rare.
I seem to remember Armanti Edwards playing reasonably well as a Freshman right out of Greenwood.

He did, but I think App State had an athlete and just let him play.

Edwards was a decent, but not great, passer as a freshman. 2200 yards at about a 60% clip with 15:10 TD/INT.

App State let the kid play, though. He rushed for 1100 yards. They had another back, Richardson, who rushed for 1600.

I think it might be hard to find an offensive coordinator today that would be willing to take a freshman QB and basically just let him do what he did in high school - run circles around the defense.
 #83343  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:15 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:30 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

GoFu… life and how things work out isn't just black and white. In a perfect world, you have a point. But the reality is a bit different. Furman will start spring ball with a redshirt sophomore, a redshirt freshman, and a true freshman competing for the QB position. That's the reality!
hope we have a good year next year. I do wish we could have kept a few more guys. Micah Robinson and Yates I thought we might keep ... as they were next man up in the "old world ways". Had put in their dues and were ready to full time starters.

Glad Norman stuck around. And had forgotten that Petit was a starter.