• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#83815  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:23 am
So, the bulk of the defensive front rotation will return.

I think the spring/summer question is going to be which of the young guys are going to be able to step into the rotation and be that next wave. There’s some talented players we haven’t seen much of yet.
 #83816  by AstroDin
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:00 am
I did a build-out of where the D-Line is currently. I listed Kauserud. I could see Furman bringing in a combination of 2-3 more players HS/Transfer that can play either DT or NG.

BANDIT
Clark 6-3 250
Maier 6-4 238
Alabi 6-2 225
Schuck 6-3 230

DT
Stanfield 6-2 268
Dobbins 6-3 265
Knauber 6-2 295 - Freshman
Kauserud 6-4 265 - Committed

NG
Stephens 6-3 296
Hernández 6-4 316
Harrison 6-1 260

DE
J Jackson 6-0 260
Bussey 6-3 273
Stoneking 6-3 252
Dobbins 6-3 235 - Freshman
Davemeister liked this
 #83822  by jesse174
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:08 pm
If you are considering Huff...1. his many years of experience is such an advantage to any team. That can't be duplicated by anyone. 2. The condition of his shoulder is a primary concern and is what limited him this year.
So....not sure if I would take the gamble on him because he has only 1 year left and because of his shoulder injury.
If he stays then he knows what to expect and what Furman can expect.
 #83830  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:58 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:57 am
Astro, isn’t it too late to bring in a HS player?
Nope, the actual regular signing period starts the first Wednesday of February.
That’s right, forgot about the “normal” signing period.
 #83886  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:48 pm
Channel 4 had a nice piece on Clark com8ng back. Told how many players FU had lost to the portal and declaring for the draft. Said it was great news that Clark was coming back, gave his stats and showed several clips of him.
dornb, AllTimeFU liked this
 #83904  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Channel 4…Told how many players FU had lost to the portal…
HOPEFULLY, they included that every Player “FU had lost to the portal” has already earned their FU undergraduate degree or, in one case, an FU graduate degree…and, with the exception of the graduate degree earner, have all spent at least 4 years in the FU Football program.

Think that’s right … we don’t have a single “early departure” ‘in the portal,’ … do we?
dornb liked this
 #83913  by gman84
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:17 am
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
HOPEFULLY, they included that every Player “FU had lost to the portal” has already earned their FU undergraduate degree or, in one case, an FU graduate degree…and, with the exception of the graduate degree earner, have all spent at least 4 years in the FU Football program.

Think that’s right … we don’t have a single “early departure” ‘in the portal,’ … do we?
That is correct. So after channel 4 aired/errored their story, I had to let my wife know that all portal involved earned their degrees. And....the 2 declaring for the draft as well.
 #83914  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 am
gman84 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:

That is correct. So after channel 4 aired/errored their story, I had to let my wife know that all portal involved earned their degrees. And....the 2 declaring for the draft as well.
Believe 5 have ‘declared for the draft’ - Pline, Johanning, Roberto, Blackshear, and Cook.

Others?
 #83915  by gman84
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:12 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 am
gman84 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Believe 5 have ‘declared for the draft’ - Pline, Johanning, Roberto, Blackshear, and Cook.

Others?
My bad, I was thinking Hula Bowl 2. Others...don't know.
 #84108  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:40 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:05 pm

Clark - Coming back !

Norman never went in portal so I assume he's good to go. Nice

Huff - ?

Yates - ?

Wyatt Hughes ?

Huff recently posted an offer from Arkansas State which is interesting because they had a freshman QB lead them to a bowl game this year and is still on the roster.

Furman hasn't had a "if you go in the portal, you can't come back" policy to this point, so any of the above guys could come back in theory I suppose.
 #84109  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:41 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:05 pm
Clark - Coming back !

Norman never went in portal so I assume he's good to go. Nice

Huff - ?

Yates - ?

Wyatt Hughes ?

Any word on Huff or Yates or Hughes. Honestly , no offense to Yates, but our D was better than our O.. that’s truth. I’d love to see all of them but especially Huff or Hughes. The loss of Johanning was huge.

Again, just a note that we all know our D was the best in 20 years. Our O was inconsistent

That’s said, I would LOVE for Yates to return to. Love it! Especially after Robinson left. Yates would get all the PT he wants!

CMON BACK GUYS. PLEASE !,
 #84111  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:48 am
I doubt Huff is coming back. All we heard was how he was going to graduate and start his military obligations. I think that's what the coaches planned for, so my expectation (with no inside knowledge) is that Huff isn't coming back regardless. Again, no inside info as to what the coaches would do. That's just my guess.

Yates went into the portal last year but then came back. He went in again and recently got offers from Incarnate Word and Delaware (where former Furman DB coach Corico Wright currently coaches), so my guess is he isn't coming back.

Wyatt Hughes's portal post read more like a "I'm done with football" post than a "I want to see if I can play somewhere bigger" post, so my guess is he's likely just done with football unless something "bigger" comes along. Again, no inside info. That's just how I read it.

I don't think any of the guys other guys in the portal are coming back at this point. It's great to have Clark back, but it's probably time to turn the page to the guys currently on the roster. We were going to have to do it at some point.
Davemeister liked this