• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#83704  by gofurman
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:23 am
If you are in to such things, for the vast majority of schools, the transfer portal has closed. Players can still transfer, but no more entrants.

I would suspect that everyone intent on transferring would prefer to do so before a new semester or spring ball, but that's not set in stone.
Glad to hear it.

So who that mentioned or we were ‘worried’ about ended up staying?

Norman OL. I think he is definitely staying. ?
Yates DB. In portal but hasn’t committed to anyone?
Luke Clark same as above?
Who else? And what status?

Or are some of those in the portal but haven’t actually left so a chance we keep them ? Which ones

Anyway basically asking who and what status if anyone knows some offhand. Thank you
 #83706  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:05 pm
Norman never went in portal so I assume he's good to go.

Yates and Clark aren't committed at this point. Clark posted an offer from South Dakota, but took it down a few days later so I'm not really sure what's going on there. As far as most of us know, both of those guys could have offers but aren't posting them to social media. Ryan Leavy and Wyatt Hughes are also both still out there and I haven't seen any offers to either of them yet.

Huff recently posted an offer from Arkansas State which is interesting because they had a freshman QB lead them to a bowl game this year and is still on the roster.

Furman hasn't had a "if you go in the portal, you can't come back" policy to this point, so any of the above guys could come back in theory I suppose.
 #83708  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:43 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:

Yates and Clark aren't committed at this point. Clark posted an offer from South Dakota, but took it down a few days later so I'm not really sure what's going on there. As far as most of us know, both of those guys could have offers but aren't posting them to social media. Ryan Leavy and Wyatt Hughes are also both still out there and I haven't seen any offers to either of them yet.

Huff recently posted an offer from Arkansas State which is interesting because they had a freshman QB lead them to a bowl game this year and is still on the roster.

Furman hasn't had a "if you go in the portal, you can't come back" policy to this point, so any of the above guys could come back in theory I suppose.
I believe Furman has actually had pretty good success with players that could transfer staying with the program. So, we'll see how that goes.

I believe statistically, the playing time for most transfers is reduced. That is, they play less at New School than they played at Old School. That is particularly true when trying to jump up a level (FCS to FBS) or from the G5 to the P5.

It could be that Furman had the right mix the last few years of players that wanted to return and make a run at a championship. It could be that guys look around a bit and realize what they've got is a better situation than what they might otherwise have.

I suspect every player has their reasons for staying or going. It wouldn't surprise me though if a few guys put their toes in the water and realized they've got just as good or better options at Furman.
Jasper liked this
 #83718  by gofurman
 Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:11 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:

Would love for Huff and or Hughes to come back! Johanning was such a stud on OL.

OL starters returning -
Norman
Petit
Hughes?

Clark and Yates would really help too. Our front 7 was so good I would love Luke Clark to make it 6 of 14 two deep back. - I think that would be 6 with-

Jeremiah Jackson
Bryce Stanfield
Xavier Stephens
Alex Maier
Evan Dimaggio
Luke Clark ?
 #83778  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:57 am
That's a solid core if all return.

Furman's defense was not a one man band, but a constant rotation of guys playing at a high level.

I think we'll see in 2024 Furman's commitment to development. There's a lot of talented players on the roster who haven't become household names yet. A number of them have been working while they wait for their opportunity.
 #83782  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:13 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:11 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:

Would love for Huff and or Hughes to come back! Johanning was such a stud on OL.

OL starters returning -
Norman
Petit
Hughes?

Clark and Yates would really help too. Our front 7 was so good I would love Luke Clark to make it 6 of 14 two deep back. - I think that would be 6 with-

Jeremiah Jackson
Bryce Stanfield
Xavier Stephens
Alex Maier
Evan Dimaggio
Luke Clark ?
I know it was mentioned earlier, but will we get a more clear idea when classes start up here soon?

Also - is there another portal / transfer window later in the year?
 #83790  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:03 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:13 am
I know it was mentioned earlier, but will we get a more clear idea when classes start up here soon?

Also - is there another portal / transfer window later in the year?
Maybe. If we have any transfers that have quietly committed and will start classes next week, then they'll likely be announced once they're enrolled and in class. I'm just guessing though. I haven't seen anything to make me believe we should expect something like that but you never know. There's still plenty of time for how Furman operates. For example, last year Cook was announced at the end of January, Pline in May, and the 3 (2) OL transfers in June. What we have right now is mostly what we're going to have outside of a few guys. With that said, Norman, Cook and Pline were all important pieces last year and only Cook was here for spring practice.

As far as the guys currently in the portal, technically they could wait all the way until fall classes start to choose a school if an offer remained out there that long. So, hopefully we'll know some things once classes get going, but I wouldn't be surprised if that date came and went and we didn't hear anything. The guys we are hoping come back don't really have to be enrolled for the spring semester if they wanted to wait and see. Yes, we want them to be here for spring practice, but I wouldn't turn away Clark or Yates just because they didn't go through spring ball if they wanted to come back in the summer.

Yes, there is a spring portal that opens for 2 weeks in April. I'm not sure how many FCS players entered in that time frame last year, but if I remember correctly there weren't a lot of guys jumping in at that time.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by FUBeAR

Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Default Avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Furmanoid

Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.