• Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

#82674  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:59 pm
Ever try to diagram one of William Faulkner’s sentences?

Nuff said.
 #82676  by FUTex
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:34 pm
I can diagram a Ernest Hemingway sentence. Its not bragging if its a fact.
 #82677  by FUTex
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:38 pm
Wait. Faulkner went to Ole Miss. Hemingway did not attend any college. Diagraming a Hemingway sentence won't help us. DRATS!

Maybe understanding Faulkner is a key...
FUBeAR liked this
 #82678  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:38 pm
“Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
hypercycloid liked this
 #82686  by SidBreamScores
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:42 pm
Good gosh, how ironic. I had forgotten about this game. My daughter has been committed to the Rebels for two years, signed her NLI about a month ago and will be a freshman infielder for Ole Miss next year.

Look, whatever mojo y’all fling at/in Vaught Hemingway- and I hope it’s a nasty one - please make sure it’s not so powerful that it works on Rebels softball too.
 #82702  by FUTex
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:51 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:38 pm
“Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
That's Shakespeare, not Faulkner. Bill Shakespeare did not go to Ole Miss.
Davemeister liked this
 #82741  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:50 am
Faulkner took a Shakespeare class at Ole Miss from Dr. Crabtree when he was student teaching. He was so moved by Dr. Crabtree’s class he decided he decided to become Mississippi’s Shakespeare. That is how Faulkner is connected to Furman.
FUBeAR liked this
 #82860  by HKB60
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:19 pm
I am looking forward to the Ole Miss. I am hoping to travel to the game as I have never experienced The Grove. The smell of bourbon and Chanel, along with some college football, sounds like a great experience!!
 #82891  by SidBreamScores
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:57 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:19 pm
I am looking forward to the Ole Miss. I am hoping to travel to the game as I have never experienced The Grove. The smell of bourbon and Chanel, along with some college football, sounds like a great experience!!
You will enjoy it. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but the Grove presents a unique atmosphere that every die hard college football fan from the southeast should experience once. I have been twice - once on my daughter’s official and another on her unofficial. Both were SEC games and Oxford was absolutely packed.
For those going, I recommend you start looking for hotels soon. Oxford is a small town with a big university less than a mile from the town square. Try to get a room or air bnb close to the square to experience it on Friday night. SEC weekends are impossible but even for the Furman game places like The Graduate will fill up fast.

Tailgating at the Grove - you might want to go in with ia group and pay a caterer both to get you a spot in the Grove and do the food. I have not tried to get a spot myself (both times we were with the softball team in their permanent spot) but I understand it can be really difficult. And, on Friday evening before Gameday, all the frats line up (fast guys in front, heavies in the back) and listen for the airhorn to go off which starts a mad dash to claim spots. Fights and lots of mayhem ensue. Fun to watch.

And on Saturday morning - go to Big Bad Breakfast! Good eats.
 #82894  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:45 pm
Little Miss FUBeAR was a RebelBlackBearLandShark for 2 years before becoming a Georgia Bulldog.

Don’t miss The Grove Tailgate experience. Nothing like it.

But … they are even more proud of their hotel rooms on Ole Miss Football weekends than the folks in GVL are of their hotel rooms…by a fur piece!!!
 #82900  by Choir Boy
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:12 pm
Brad Merkl’s son goes there. He has promised to set up a road trip to Ole Miss on par with the one I put together for LSU and NOLA.

I am not convinced that this is remotely possible, but we purple up and give it our best shot.
FUBeAR liked this
 #83007  by PurpleBlaze
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:18 pm
I've lived in Oxford the past two years, and have had this game circled on the calendar since it was announced. The grove is an amazing experience and i'm looking forward to seeing it flooded with purple next fall!
Stumpy, FUBeAR liked this
 #83010  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:32 pm
PurpleBlaze wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:18 pm
I've lived in Oxford the past two years, and have had this game circled on the calendar since it was announced. The grove is an amazing experience and i'm looking forward to seeing it flooded with purple next fall!
Fantastic - looks like none of us have to worry about paying those PROUD hotel rates in Oxford. We're all bunking in @ PurpleBlaze's Mississippi Estate / Plantation ... whatever they have over there.
Stumpy liked this
 #83011  by FUTex
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm
As many of you may already know, I decided to enter the Portal last week. Please respect my decision.

Alas, to date no other fan discussion board has shown any interest. I am assuming that the “big boys” in FBS are unaware of my body of work and my seemingly supernatural ability to engage in endless pursuits of minutiae and paranormal indagation.

My reason(s) for entering the portal are not complex. I am completely happy with Furman and this board. Its just that I’ve been reading about this sweet sweet NIL money out there and I want a piece of that action. In addition, I have a dream of one day making it to the NFL fanbase, where I can get in physical altercations in parking lots with drunk fat men who’ve based their entire identity on applauding grown men playing a young man’s game for a profit-seeking business. Everybody needs a dream.

I would like to thank the UFFP for putting up with me over these past months. I would especially like to thank (redacted) for his unrelenting negativity and (redacted) for his anti-Paladin analyses. Without those two I would have missed a whole world I was previously oblivious to.

So, see you at The Grove, I guess, unless one of the big discussion boards picks me up.

CCLOT
FUBeAR, Bootie, FU3 and 2 others liked this