• Advice from a Griz fan

#82152  by GrizGuy
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:37 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:32 pm
GrizGuy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:07 pm
I would add to this: Book your return trip for Sunday or Monday.
Stay in town a couple days.
Book a fly fishing half-day with Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop (also a GREAT place to stay is the Dry Fly Apartments, which are actually air bnb style rentals and the prices for what you get are generally way better than vrbo or airbnb or hotels that gouge). Also look up rentals at the Wilma.
Or book a day and fish the Blackfoot of the fabled novella “A River Runs Through It.” The guys at Grizzly Hackle will help you hook up w a Westslope Cutthroat. It’ll be worth it.

Eat at Scotty’s Table. Have coffee at Clyde. Ear Big Dipper Ice Cream. Buy tea for home at Butterfly Herbs.

Rent some mountain bikes. Take them over to the Rattlesnake Nat’l Recreation Area, and go for a nice trail ride (any level of rider can do this).

And for only the TRULY HEARTY. Here’s how to walk in the literal footsteps of Lewis and Clark: Rent a car (pref truck, van or awd). Drive east out of Missoula on hwy 200 1hr 50min, past the town of Lincoln (where they found and busted the Unabomber). A few miles later, Turn left on Alice Creek Rd. Stay on it (keep right) aaaaaalllllllll the way to the end. You’ll be at a campground.
Hike the trail there for about two miles. Welcome to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex (the Scapegoat Wilderness part).
You will find a cairn and a historic marker showing you where Capt Lewis and some men hiked an old buffalo trail the local tribes used. From there, look east. You’ll swear you can almost see home. It looks today not much different from when Lewis stood there in 1806. If you’re insane, walk a few more meters and you’ll be on the Continental Divide Trail. I would NOT advise hiking that at this time of year unless you really know WTF you’re doing. And trust me, unless you’re a guide, you don’t. Also trust me, a fraction of a percentage of Montana residents have even seen this, so you’ll one-up a lot of residents.

Just take some pics, turn around, hike back to your car and go back to Missoula and have a nice meal, knowing that even tho your team lost, you enjoyed the entire experience and saw yourself some amazing land, and almost touched history.

I hope you all have a great trip, that your team loses, and that you leave loving Missoula as much as I do.

Have fun!
GrizGuy. Great post. We need more like this. Where you recommend a bar .. nature. Fishing. Coffee.

Thank you. Great fan and sharing of inside local information

You represent Griz fans well !!!

On the game I suspect you win. I’ve watched you dismantle Montana State and Delaware. Man. But hopefully we bring a better game than they did.

Regardless I wanted to thank you for a post recommending places to visit rather than smack talk. Classy. Good stuff !!!
My pleasure. The eGriz board gets so full of smack and pissing matches that I mostly lurk. Back “in the day” when the Griz were reliably great, fans would have a fantastic experience despite losing, and game aside, I truly want people to fall in love with Montana and the area around Missoula. I’ve lived in five states in all four quadrants of the country, and the level of ignorance we all have about one another is astounding. So this is my small way of cutting the crap and offering something that almost anyone can do and get a real experience, not something superficial.
Also, the Griz have played a couple rotten games this season, and I am a total Nervous Nellie fan, so no smack talk from me, because one never truly knows. That’s why they play the game.
Have a great trip!
 #82177  by FUDude
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:35 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:41 pm
FUDude wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:01 pm
At least the griz posters on this forum are not like the guys from eGriz. What a bunch of losers.

Just got into Missoula and my buddy picked me up to go downtown and grab a bite to eat at the Missoula Club. Nice little town and the people are really friendly so far. Unlike their message board.
What's the local weather saying about game time weather?
Most seem to think it will be a lot like it was yesterday and so far today. If so weather won't be an issue. I've been wearing a hoody and been very comfortable so far. Its perfect football weather so it will be a non issue unless something changes drastically.
 #82210  by FUDude
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:31 pm
Our group walked into Big Sky Brewing about 20 mins ago. "Get the Moose Drool" they said. This place is nice and I may not leave, we are getting a tour of the facilities because I am such a big deal and the people are nice

Definitely get the Moose Drool!
Choir Boy, GrizGuy liked this
 #82213  by Bootie
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:45 pm
Thanks for these dining suggestions. I just had maybe the best sandwich I’ve ever had at the Iron Horse. California club, I think it was.
 #82216  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:55 pm
FUDude wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:31 pm
Our group walked into Big Sky Brewing about 20 mins ago. "Get the Moose Drool" they said. This place is nice and I may not leave, we are getting a tour of the facilities because I am such a big deal and the people are nice

Definitely get the Moose Drool!
Be there tomorrow!
 #82302  by Bootie
 Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:34 pm
Ate lunch at The Press Box today. I can vouch for the Griz Burger and the Griz Chicken Sandwich, and the 900 tv screens in there. If you’re not gonna be in the stadium, I’m guessing this is the next best place to watch the game.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #82306  by FUDude
 Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:44 pm
I haven't made it there yet but was planning on hitting it before the game my friends say we can walk over a bridge to get to the stadium from there.
Bootie liked this
 #82315  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:19 pm
I checked out Press Box. TVs everywhere. Good beer selection. Now at Camino for tacos.

If I knew how to post pictures I would.
GrizGuy liked this
 #82415  by GrizGuy
 Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:27 pm
CrunchGriz wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:50 pm
FUDude wrote:
At least the griz posters on this forum are not like the guys from eGriz. What a bunch of losers.

Just got into Missoula and my buddy picked me up to go downtown and grab a bite to eat at the Missoula Club. Nice little town and the people are really friendly so far. Unlike their message board.
Even die-hard Griz fans gnash their teeth reading some of the crap on eGriz. There is some wheat there, but you have to wade through mountains of chaff to find it sometimes. There are certain posters who will hijack any thread just so they can have verbal slap fights with each other. Drives me crazy. Sometimes I have to just stay off it for a while so I don't get infected. Other posters, like Brint, provide a ton of good, useful info. He's one of the hosts of the Griz Fan Podcast (which is on all the platforms), which is a little more circumspect about making wild predictions based on minimal information. They do tend to go into the Griz weeds and stray tangentially a lot, but it just comes off as a bunch of friends talking about the team and shootin' the s--t about anything and everything else that comes up.
Totally agree with this. I’ve been an eGriz member since 2003, and I stopped going very often because it became a bit of a pri*k waving di*k fight.
Have fun and enjoy the trip and the game!
 #82416  by FUDude
 Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:32 pm
GrizGuy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:27 pm
CrunchGriz wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:50 pm
FUDude wrote:

Even die-hard Griz fans gnash their teeth reading some of the crap on eGriz. There is some wheat there, but you have to wade through mountains of chaff to find it sometimes. There are certain posters who will hijack any thread just so they can have verbal slap fights with each other. Drives me crazy. Sometimes I have to just stay off it for a while so I don't get infected. Other posters, like Brint, provide a ton of good, useful info. He's one of the hosts of the Griz Fan Podcast (which is on all the platforms), which is a little more circumspect about making wild predictions based on minimal information. They do tend to go into the Griz weeds and stray tangentially a lot, but it just comes off as a bunch of friends talking about the team and shootin' the s--t about anything and everything else that comes up.
Totally agree with this. I’ve been an eGriz member since 2003, and I stopped going very often because it became a bit of a pri*k waving di*k fight.
Have fun and enjoy the trip and the game!
Your town is a damn cool place and the people are amazing. The guy I'm staying with has his family and friends coming over at all hours and every single one has been a pleasure to deal with. Man can they drink! The food, the laughs, the company, everything has been top notch so far. Had a fire last night after we got back from downtown,

Heading over to the tailgate after I meet up at the Hilton

Thanks for being civil and enjoy the game

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Paladin91

Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.