• Furman at Montana

#83258  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:35 pm
OldGriz wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:42 pm
FUDude wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:37 pm
Yep their offense wasn't up to the task, our dline beat them all game long like I expected, we were way to quick and it gave them fits and blew up the running lanes. They were absolutely lucky to get those 2 special teams plays, and our lapse on special teams was the difference. Straight up offense and defense there was no doubt who the better team was and who had the better QB. Even at 70% I would take Huff over their guy. If we would have been totally healthy we would have won walking away even with their special team points.
Did you get to meet up with any of the old alumni or guys you played with at Furman Jeff?
Old Griz (and any other MT fans still surfing the FU board),

You have a great team, especially the defense, and I'll probably be rooting for the Griz against SDSU. But....

If that game had been played in Paladin Stadium you would be watching Furman play SDSU on TV. Furman would have beaten Montana by 2 touchdowns because you wouldn't have gotten away with the KO return TD where at least 4 Furman players were tackled, and the punt return TD where 4 block in the backs were not called.

NDSU got a taste of that home cooking when their receiver was thrown to the ground in the end zone on the 2 pt conversion attempt and nothing was called, AGAIN.

Better be ready to play in Frisco cause your Refs won't be there.
 #83267  by FU3
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:29 am
The Refs you are referring to in the Montana NDSU game were a SoCon crew. Refs miss calls in every game every week, some are just more obvious than others.
 #83268  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:53 am
FU3 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:29 am
The Refs you are referring to in the Montana NDSU game were a SoCon crew. Refs miss calls in every game every week, some are just more obvious than others.
Lot of focus on one or two plays in those games.

The group that had the Montana/Furman game were "letting them play" at the expense of not calling blatant penalties. It stings a bit more considering some of those non-calls came on the one or two scoring plays Montana could muster.

At the end of the day, though, you have to realize the human element and win by enough that the human element doesn't impact you.
 #83269  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:53 am
At the end of the day, though, you have to realize the human element and win by enough that the human element doesn't impact you.
BS - That’s Coach-speak @ press peeps. Not even gonna say that silly ish to your own Team cuz Players know BS when they hear it.

The CAA crew gave Montana 14 points on 11 No-calls (7 on the KoR, 4 on the PR) on 2 ‘sudden change’ scoring plays.

In FCS Playoff Football, on the road, at the #2 Seed, that is terminal officiating for EVERY opponent. It only took 3 No-calls on a PR to terminate the most dominating dynasty in the history of FCS Football (can miss 1 year and still be a dynasty; not 2 years in a row though)
Furman Kick Coverage Teams vs. CAA Officials @ Montana

“You have to throw enough rocks so the 120mm shells don’t impact you” - Jackal
 #83416  by purplehorse123
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:03 am
I think there is a wide gap between SDSU and any of the other teams. I think SDSU will win by 21 or more. Furman on a given day could have beaten anyone except SDSU.

True the Wofford game costs us but we were still a play away from getting to play NDSU in Greenville.

The difference is we now lose half our team while the Dakotas & Montanas just reload.
bj93 liked this
 #83417  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:36 am
purplehorse123 wrote:
I think there is a wide gap between SDSU and any of the other teams. I think SDSU will win by 21 or more. Furman on a given day could have beaten anyone except SDSU.

True the Wofford game costs us but we were still a play away from getting to play NDSU in Greenville.

The difference is we now lose half our team while the Dakotas & Montanas just reload.
With no outbound transfers or early departures, solely based on CL listing…

SDSU is losing …
Offense* - 9 Starters / 12 Total off 2-Deep
Defense - 10 Starters / 17 Total off 2-Deep
Total* - 19 Starters / 29 off 2-Deep

NDSU is losing…
Offense**- 11 Starters / 18 Total off 2-Deep
Defense - 9 Starters / 11 Total off 2-Deep
Total** - 20 Starters / 29 Total off 2-Deep

Montana is losing…
Offense - 3 Starters / 5 Total off 2-Deep
Defense - 6 Starters / 8 Total off 2-Deep
Total - 9 Starters / 13 Total off 2-Deep

Furman is losing…
Offense - 8 Starters / 11 Total off 2-Deep
Defense - 7 Starters / 12 Total off 2-Deep
Total - 15 Starters / 23 Total off 2-Deep

…so, the xDSU’s better have a membership @ Sam’s Discount Ammo Emporium for their reloading jobs … and we got more work to do than Montana does.

* SDSU lists 12 Starting Offensive Positions on their 2-Deep
**NDSU lists 13 Starting Offensive Positions on their 2-Deep
 #83422  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:24 am
purplehorse123 wrote:

There is a gap but I wouldn’t call it wide. They beat Montana St by 4, Montana beat MSU by 30. They did only beat Villanova 23-12, SIU by 7. They are very good no doubt.
 #83423  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:29 am
purplehorse123 wrote:

This is close to my take. I guess we will see was it an outlier these past two years w a QB transfer and a lot of guys who pointed to this year… or hopefully we have built something sustainable. Even 8-4 would be quite encouraging next year. I mean ole miss…. So 8-4 or I would love 9-3 which is probably playoff
 #83436  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:07 am
cavedweller2, dornb, gman84 liked this
 #83438  by cavedweller2
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:00 am
purplehorse123 wrote:

My opinion is we are reloading. The extra year(s) from Covid have allowed us to spend more time developing the younger players. I think we will be a better team next year. We are not going to suddenly suck.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 am

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 11:33 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Paladin91

Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.