• Don't look now but Furman Conf USA?

#81471  by FUeveryday
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:44 pm
Have seen a few posts on different Twitter sites (so take with a grain of salt) that have Furman on list for Conference USA expansion. Good idea? / bad idea? No reason we couldn't hang with half the teams talent wise but budgets and other sports would be a challenge. We do bring good basketball to the table.

#81473  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:27 pm
At first I dismissed the idea.

At the same time, it seems like G5 conferences are sucking up every available FCS team. At some point, I think Furman and the SoCon need to be alert for protecting their future before another round of reorganizations leaves us with the leftovers of the Big South Conference.

I doubt Furman would do it, but Furman would bring (1) competitive football, (2) big enough stadium, (3) nationally relevant basketball, (4) a good market with ease of travel for most conference schools.

Furman makes as much sense to me as a lot of the schools on that list. They probably offer more than most, though they aren't a typical FBS school makeup (big public school).

I would have to think Furman needs to be exploring what the future holds, however. With all the conference realignment, the SoCon has largely stood pat over the last ten years. It's been a remarkable level of commitment between the member schools, but I suspect that it cannot last forever. These G5 conferences are too hungry.
bj93 liked this
 #81474  by Flagman
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:34 pm
A move to C-USA would end my streak of game attendance.
Stumpy liked this
 #81481  by Sad Din
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:47 pm
ACC will be looking for new members soon. FL St, Clemson and others will b leaving soon

Thats where the Dins belong. wait for it
 #81487  by Flagman
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:04 pm
If Furman has $5M for the entrance fee for FBS, then they could bring back baseball.
QCGlue, KingPaladin liked this
 #81488  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:33 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:04 pm
If Furman has $5M for the entrance fee for FBS, then they could bring back baseball.
Excellent point not to mention the SoCon exit fee. Not happening at least not at Furman.
 #81489  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:19 pm
C-USA might like Furman but Furman doesn’t fit in a conference that isn’t regional. There’s no way they can afford the travel costs.

No telling where all the realignment will go. I’m certain the P5 will leave the NCAA, but that doesn’t instantly make the G5 the new top dogs. I just wonder if all the large conferences is an over correction that won’t be sustainable and maybe the SoCon’s model will be sought after for schools that just can’t exist in a coast to coast conference? Heck, what’s going to happen to the CAA after losing JMU and Delaware? They built up a super conference and are watered down without them.

Anyways, Furman should stay far away from this and help keep the SoCon together. While this isn’t attractive to Furman I do worry about Chattanooga and Western.

Recent Topics

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

User avatar Fred Norman Jr in the portal

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 pm

User avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pm

User avatar NFL DRAFT

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.