• Silver Helmets

#80952  by fu77fan
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:27 pm
Had we ever worn the silver helmets prior to yesterday? I do not recall having seen them.
Perhaps we should retire them .
 #80954  by Thorny
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:41 pm
Rumor has it we wore them against TTU and they have a history in the program several decades back.

/They aren't my favorite but if I had it my way the Paladins would wear nothing but white on white and purple on white uniforms...the variety makes the kids/recruits happy and that's who matters.
Bootie, Choir Boy liked this
 #80955  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 pm
Back in the 70’s we wore silver helmets with the diamond F before changing to white helmets. The current helmets are chrome not silver and look nothing like the old silver helmets.
din23 liked this
 #80956  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:37 pm
Technically we have two silver helmets, I think.

I believe the ones against ttu had black logos and the diamond F

The ones against wofford had purple logos

#80957  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:16 am
Just different stickers not helmets I think. Regardless need to donate them to a high school team. Like Bootie said any helmet without the diamond F should not be worn.
Davemeister liked this
 #80958  by din23
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:28 am
apaladin wrote:
Just different stickers not helmets I think. Regardless need to donate them to a high school team. Like Bootie said any helmet without the diamond F should not be worn.
The Diamond F was on the left side of the helmet on Saturday, similar to the picture from the TTU game.
 #80965  by Bootie
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:56 am
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Diamond F was on the left side of the helmet on Saturday, similar to the picture from the TTU game.
I wasn’t up close but I looked and looked for it in both sides. All I saw was FU. I’ll have to see a pic from Saturday to believe it.
 #80968  by din23
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 am
Bootie wrote:
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I wasn’t up close but I looked and looked for it in both sides. All I saw was FU. I’ll have to see a pic from Saturday to believe it.
There are lots of good photos here: https://furmanpaladins.com/galleries/fo ... fford/1081
 #80971  by gman84
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:57 am
There is one set of silver helmets. AP is correct, the decals were changed. The diamond F was on the helmets, hard to see with the bright sun. The helmets were a generous donation. While most of us are embedded in tradition, having some alternate uniform options does resonate well with the players. The diamond F will never be absent.
 #80978  by Bootie
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:02 am
din23 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 am
Bootie wrote:
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
There are lots of good photos here: https://furmanpaladins.com/galleries/fo ... fford/1081
I stand corrected! Thanks D23. Apologies to everyone for my dumb assumptions.
din23 liked this
 #80981  by fupaladin01
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am
Trash the helmets immediately, except for one that should stay in the lockerroom and remind everyone of the catastrophic failure that was Novemeber 18th 2023.
apaladin liked this
 #80996  by FUTex
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:19 am
While HKB60 is technically correct, one must consider the devastating downline ramifications of those silver helmets on the mojo. That's not just common sense; that's science. Moreover, we need the Diamond F on both sides of the helmet, clearly visible. Silver scatters the mojo randomly while the Diamond F provides a focal point for refraction. Noted Furman alum Charles Townes, the inventor of microwave spectroscopy and the laser, wrote about this in his academic paper "The Convergence of Science and Religion". If you think I'm making that up you should read that paper.
FUBeAR, Bootie liked this
 #81007  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:12 pm
FUTex wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:19 am
While HKB60 is technically correct, one must consider the devastating downline ramifications of those silver helmets on the mojo. That's not just common sense; that's science. Moreover, we need the Diamond F on both sides of the helmet, clearly visible. Silver scatters the mojo randomly while the Diamond F provides a focal point for refraction. Noted Furman alum Charles Townes, the inventor of microwave spectroscopy and the laser, wrote about this in his academic paper "The Convergence of Science and Religion". If you think I'm making that up you should read that paper.
FUBeAR has seen HKB60 rub lucky buckeyes until their eyes or their bucks (not sure which ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) fell off. He also rubbed them all over his body…and then put those buckeyes back in the box for others to rub. Called it “teambuilding.”

Don’t listen to him. He’s a buckeye superstition pre-vert.
 #81110  by Bootie
 Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:47 pm
Please no more “look at our fancy helmets” for the playoffs. White with purple diamond F please.

Tradition.
dornb, apaladin, Davemeister liked this