• Totally Outcoached Today

#80805  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:49 pm
With the rugby scrum for 10 yards at the beginning of the game I felt the intensity was there.

In the end, we had a QB that was by all accounts and a game and a half uncharacteristically nervous. You could tell from the first passes in the dirt. Almost every catch that was made was way off target.

As for the running game, I’ll go back to a comment Huff made a few weeks ago that it’s hard to load the box when he is a runner and that he brings the extra hat.

In regards to the 2 yard passes on 3rd and 8, there were 2-4 other routes being run, but the QB checked down to the quick, but short route.

From a coaching standpoint, there did appear to be a communication issue with CCH and Roper that cost us a timeout. My bigger coaching issue was all the celebration, T-shirt’s, cigars and the like when securing the SoCon title, but still remaining was the next biggest game.

It’s disappointing that in almost every occasion this year that we hoped to get the next generation of Paladins some quality reps that we weren’t able to get it done.
 #80809  by Jasper
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:05 pm
I agree. Wofford defense played like they were reading our playbook. Very well prepared. The fact of the matter is that Furman has not been as good as our ranking all year. We barely squeaked by some very poor teams. The offense has been mostly suspect all year and that includes the coaching staff. The QB completed 18 passes I believe for a total of 99 yards. 3 yard throws when we need 9. That jet sweep has not worked all season and yet we keep calling it. We could not set the edge because the tight ends did not block. Sure we had injuries and Woffie got all the lucky breaks but a really good football team still beats them 35 - 19. The problem was the lack of scoring and not the 19 points they scored. That has been evident for much of the year. I don’t think it was ever realistic to think in terms of winning the whole thing in spite of the elevated ranking. The team played to their reality and not fan expectations., that’s all. There ain’t enough KoolAid in the state to explain away what went on today. We got beat by a bad team and it put a big dent in the whole season. I hope the kids can pull themselves together for a good playoff effort like last year. The offensive coaches will do what they do and always have. Run the ball, play it close to the vest and hope they dont turn it over. We sneaked by that way almost all year……almost.
bj93 liked this
 #80812  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:28 pm
Good summary, Jackal. I still would like to know why on their third and one td we had an undersized D lineman in the game that had only played in 3 games all year with 2 tackles total. Why?
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #80813  by The Cats
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:37 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:47 pm
Attendance today was 3,700

SoCon football stinks...
It's basically 32 miles from Travlers Rest to Spartanburg, if the attendance was on 4k, I'd say it's as much or more Furman fans' fault. Wofford had nothing to play for and their fans had given up on the team several games ago. Where were the Furman fans? Maybe Furman football stinks...
 #80814  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 pm
Harbinger wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:34 pm
Of course we all have opinions but I'm glad that yours is exactly aligned with mine. I started thinking early in the week that the team needed to take care not to let down (this excludes the defense who played well except for allowing first down conversions with third and long twice in the fourth quarter). I realize it's not easy maintaining a high level of motivation and performance week after week but at the end of the day that's what championship teams do. So the ultimate question becomes do we have what it takes to be a championship team? Before today I had actually been thinking how to arrange my schedule to attend the final. Not any more. Yes, we might win one and maybe even two playoff games but I can't see us going beyond that. That is still good but there's a lack somewhere. I guess I'm overlooking the absence of Huff and Roberto so their presence may alter my perspective.
right here on this board when we win I often hear over the years (as I say we do this well and need to improve on this other thing). …… “don’t worry, winners win and losers lose. We won”

Well I guess by that logic we are losers

Look it IS hard to win every week ( I give the FBS game). But UGA does it. Be it Tennesee or UK or Ohio STATE. Or Mizzu or THE ENTIRE SEC. Look at their schedule ! Somehow their coaches get them up for every game. Clemson has in prior years . Bama has. Etc I get these teams have a talent DIFFERTIAL we just don’t have.

And that’s definitely a part of it but how could we NOT BE UP for this game? Win and top 4 seed, Bye week, undefeated SoCon season, undefeated FCS Season, a rival…. How much more do you FREAKIN NEED?!!
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #80815  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:42 pm
The Cats wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

SoCon football stinks...
It's basically 32 miles from Travlers Rest to Spartanburg, if the attendance was on 4k, I'd say it's as much or more Furman fans' fault. Wofford had nothing to play for and their fans had given up on the team several games ago. Where were the Furman fans? Maybe Furman football stinks...
First of all FU fans don’t live in TR and obviously WCU football stinks worse than FU. BTW what happened to your all world RB that averaged 2 yards per carry today.
Davemeister liked this
 #80816  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:11 am
I agree coaches don’t make catches etc. I know. MAN SOME OF THOSE PASSES TO WIDE OPEN GUYS WERE HORRIBLE !!!!,!! I mean atrocious

Reminded me of those games v Citadel and Woff we went 5 - 25 passing a few years back. Sure others recall those games.

So UGLY - passes today were in dirt at ankles and where receivers had to bend backwards I mean HORRIBLE.

I do understand coaches don’t make passes and catches etc. They probably felt helpless …
But let’s acknowledge Wofford sent almost everyone against the run HOPING this was an off day passing. We can’t block 9 with 6. That said, we did miss some run blocks and allow them to sack us in key points of the game - that really hurt. Once it was going to be 4th and 7 but they sacked us for 4th and 15 or whatever forcing a punt. That really hurt

My main point is this. We basically ran the ball against an overwhelming number 8/9 in box . Well, DONT DO THAT. THROW IT. If we lose we lose. But we continued to run for most of 2.5 quarters into a front that’s just too many guys. By the time we really started passin more (2 of 3 plays or more) now they knew we were passing and sent pressure and dropped the others in coverage.

In short we ran when they stacked the box (early game) and threw when they didn’t in late game (I know we had to throw then). But in both scenarios we did what they’re wanted. We needed to throw more EARLIER IN GAME. if we can’t complete 7 yard pass plays then we should lose.

The thing that kills me is CCH ADMITS THIS AND KEEPS DOING IT. I think he’s a great coach - hear that. But how many times are we going to hear terms in pressers like “we played in a phone booth”. “Probably shoulda taken a few more shots downfield “. We heard that sSEVERAL times in pressers this year!!!!!!!!!!!! Well then do it!!!

I don’t doubt that w Huff and Roberto we probably win. Just Huff pulling a few for runs might have won. Please hear that. Also I don’t think Huffs passing is as high a ceiling as Jones but I think the floor is higher right now. I suspect he makes several more completions if he played today. He’s older and makes better reads and not nervous. . But it’s masking a larger problem we do have. The 16-8 wins over ETSU and now just horrific offense today. Even w Huff and Roberto we aren’t great on O.

I’d say we are a 4/5 out of 10 on O. I’m not recency bias we lit up VMI and Mercer but STUNK to high heaven even w everyone against others like ETSU
on D We are awesome. 9/10. Only flaW occasionally allow some passing yards
Special teams kickoffs awesome, punt and kick returns ok, FGs have greatly improved. 7/8 of 10. Woulda been a great day to have that first huge KO Return. We Havent had one.

I hope for a seed and a bye. Hopefully Huff is fully healthy and can run to add a huge element to the O. We need it
 #80817  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:17 am
To add insult to injury that was the fewest yards WC had given up all year. 188, the second least was 216 to VMI.Even woeful Citadel got 238 last week. Everyone else got well over 300 at least.
 #80818  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:21 am
How many young men played QB and/or threw passes for Furman against Wofford on Saturday? 1
Was the 1 that played QB and/or threw passes for Furman a highly-compensated professional? No

We used to have some rules/guidelines here, I believe. I don't think they've changed. Hopefully we can get back to abiding by them and clean up via edit/delete where we have failed to keep to them.

Please feel free to send a DM to me if you have any specific questions. Or contact the Admins/Mods - I could be wrong about our current guidelines, but I don't think so.

THANKS!!
Purple rain liked this
 #80819  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:54 am
FUBeAR wrote:
How many young men played QB and/or threw passes for Furman against Wofford on Saturday? 1
Was the 1 that played QB and/or threw passes for Furman a highly-compensated professional? No

We used to have some rules/guidelines here, I believe. I don't think they've changed. Hopefully we can get back to abiding by them and clean up via edit/delete where we have failed to keep to them.

Please feel free to send a DM to me if you have any specific questions. Or contact the Admins/Mods - I could be wrong about our current guidelines, but I don't think so.

THANKS!!

FUBeAR, you have a point

But your great point that was getting that PR on X etc about how damn Montana wins at home and always loses in road. ONE AND FIFTEEN. Several friends sent that to me so you or someone really did a great job getting it out there. Great use of social media! Seriously.

We may have just cursed ourselves to going to there and them yelping about beating us. AT Montana. That said, the way they killed MSU I don’t think we could beat Montana or sdsu. I’ve never really hoped for a natty this year seeing SDSU.

Man I swear SoCon is cursed. Last year Samford QB goes down last game. This year it’s Western. Will they even make playoffs ?
 #80821  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:22 am
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

THANKS!!

FUBeAR, you have a point

But your great point that was getting that PR on X etc about how damn Montana wins at home and always loses in road. ONE AND FIFTEEN. Several friends sent that to me so you or someone really did a great job getting it out there. Great use of social media! Seriously.

We may have just cursed ourselves to going to there and them yelping about beating us. AT Montana. That said, the way they killed MSU I don’t think we could beat Montana or sdsu. I’ve never really hoped for a natty this year seeing SDSU.

Man I swear SoCon is cursed. Last year Samford QB goes down last game. This year it’s Western. Will they even make playoffs ?
FUBeAR is not on X or other Social Media. FUBeAR only lives on Message Boards.

But FUBeAR did see to what you are referring.

Man, those Montana people sure do HATE facts; and they will wrestle with the facts they don't like until the dang cows come home!
 #80823  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:53 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:22 am
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

THANKS!!

FUBeAR, you have a point

FUBeAR is not on X or other Social Media. FUBeAR only lives on Message Boards.

But FUBeAR did see to what you are referring.

Man, those Montana people sure do HATE facts; and they will wrestle with the facts they don't like until the dang cows come home!
Agree. I mean they have been so successful. It’s easy to be nice when you win . If I were a UM fan I would just reply with the success and then say something like “we have done very well but clearly have work to do on our road game. Glad we have such a huge home field advantage. “

I mean how do they deny FACTS. Seems the way of the world these days. People and news channels make up crap and state it as fact. Maybe I’m old. But that ain’t right. Just give facts as best you can.

I’m with you man
 #80824  by tim
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:45 am
Depending upon your perspective, it could be called a great coaching job that took a team with some liabilities to a SOCON title and playoff appearance. Yesterday's game has been trying to happen for a while now. Are we much better than Cit/Vmi/woffy? Couldn't prove it by the results. Could add the ETSU game to the mix also.
 #80825  by dornb
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:19 am
And that’s definitely a part of it but how could we NOT BE UP for this game? Win and top 4 seed, Bye week, undefeated SoCon season, undefeated FCS Season, a rival…. How much more do you FREAKIN NEED?!!
[/quote]

Maybe that was too much pressure for the team, especially CJ. Did anyone think of that?
apaladin liked this
 #80826  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:43 am
The Cats wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

SoCon football stinks...
Right.
Maybe Furman’s team played worse than they needed to play because Furman’s team saw how few Furman fans made the unbelievably short trip to S’burg to support them, a 9-1 team.
Maybe Furman fans stink.
And maybe Furman’s football’s PR staff did not do enough to encourage Furman fans to get to S’burg, instead putting so much of their thoughts and efforts onto playoff plans and selection show, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe Furman football’s PR stinks.
And maybe all the posters on this UFFP stink because they for the most part acted as if the Wofford game was nothing to worry about, “we’ll certainly win that one.”

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

User avatar Fred Norman Jr in the portal

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 pm

User avatar NFL DRAFT

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.