• Our Playoff Future

#80712  by purplehorse123
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:14 pm
I don’t know whether we will still be in top 8 or not.

Possibility A-If say # 8 we would have a bye and then play a very good team at home. That would give Roberto & Huff more time to heal.

Possibility B-At 9 or 10 we would play a weaker team at home next week in the playoffs and either less time for Roberto & Huff to heal or even maybe miss the games.

Regardless we certainly did ourselves no favor today. We gave up a lot of what we had worked for all season.

If we don’t play better than we did today, then none of this really matters. Hopefully this will be a wake up call for us.

I assume the sentiment is we would rather be seeded in top 8 but some might argue we would be better off to get a first round game against a weaker team under our belt?

Glad the loss did not take away out outright conference championship and automatic playoff qualifier position.
 #80726  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:33 pm
A lot of the games nationally to this point are breaking our way.

Montana State is getting hammered by Montana.

Delaware lost

Austin Peay is losing.

Even with the bad loss, we are still 9-2, an outright conference champ, with 3 ranked wins, which puts us ahead of a lot of teams in the seed conversation.
mathprofhiker, FUBeAR liked this
 #80733  by Affirm
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Delaware lost

Austin Peay is losing.

Even with the bad loss, we are still 9-2, an outright conference champ, with 3 ranked wins, which puts us ahead of a lot of teams in the seed conversation.
It will not matter that "a lot of the games nationally to this point are breaking our way". It just makes it worse! It absolutely would have mattered if we had won today as we should have.
Stumpy, gman84, Davemeister liked this
 #80736  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:42 pm
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Delaware lost

Austin Peay is losing.

It will not matter that "a lot of the games nationally to this point are breaking our way". It just makes it worse! It absolutely would have mattered if we had won today as we should have.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

Furman wants to stay seeded. The games nationally that we needed to go our way to have a good argument for that seed are going our way.

If we had won, then the only conversation would have been whether Montana would have jumped us at #2, which they likely would have.
 #80749  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:02 pm
Furman will get a seed, but now instead of staying home they will have to win 2 games in Montana or South Dakota which ain’t happening. WC can now gloat that they took away any chance FU had of going far in the playoffs.
 #80750  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:42 pm
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Delaware lost

Austin Peay is losing.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

Furman wants to stay seeded. The games nationally that we needed to go our way to have a good argument for that seed are going our way.

If we had won, then the only conversation would have been whether Montana would have jumped us at #2, which they likely would have.
I think his point is we could have gotten a number 2 seed but we will get a seed regardless of what happens nationally now. Really doesn’t matter if we are a 6, 7 or 8 seed. We totally blew it today.
 #80753  by Sad Din
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:15 pm
based on todays scores, probably a 5 or 6 seed

with some luck a 4 seed

with the usual Socon lack of respect, 7 or 8 seed
 #80756  by gman84
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:25 pm
With our score today and Western’s the bias towards the SoCon and seeding was just confirmed. Hate it but can’t argue it !
bj93 liked this
 #80757  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm
I think it's going to be 1) SDSU, 2) Montana, (3) South Dakota

Currently, Sacramento State is losing, which would be big for Furman. Austin Peay won and have an identical 9-2 record, but Furman has more wins over ranked opponent (I don't believe the Govs have any wins over ranked teams).

You can pencil Villanova in as a seed. Furman arguably has a better resume and more ranked wins.

I presume Delaware and Montana State are out of seed conversation.

Furman should have a better resume than Albany, who is in the conversation.

The one team we could use to lose is North Dakota State.
 #80758  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:33 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:25 pm
With our score today and Western’s the bias towards the SoCon and seeding was just confirmed. Hate it but can’t argue it !
Right, Furman had their shot and blew it.

At the same time, I think it's a safe argument to say Furman has played well enough this season to warrant having the first round off.
Davemeister liked this
 #80761  by purplehorse123
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:53 pm
It seems to me that the best two teams are # 1 seed South Dakota State with MANY NFL prospects and Montana who will be seeded # 2. Playing them in frigid weather would be even more daunting. Either of those would be a David vs Goliath venture.

Anybody else we would at least have a chance against.

Maybe it will be like the Texas Rangers in the playoffs. I thought how could they recover from the debacle of losing the last day of the regular season. The rest is history.

We need to flush this game, get guys healthy and figure out how to get better on offense.

I hope our best game this season is yet to come.

Does anyone remember how home games are decided in the first round-bids or higher seeds?
 #80763  by gman84
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:59 pm
Seeded teams have first round byes. Bids determine which 8 get home games for the other 16 teams.
 #80764  by FurmAlum
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:01 pm
Right P123. Put this game behind us. The key will be getting Huff and Roberto back and how healthy they will be. If they are then Furman is still a very formidable team. There is still a lot of football to be played. There could be some upsets. If we have to go to the tundra then so be it.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

User avatar Fred Norman Jr in the portal

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 pm

User avatar NFL DRAFT

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.