#476  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 am
MNORM wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 pm
Darius was nowhere to be found. My guess is some sort of illness.
Reynard Ellis, however, was on the sidelines prior to the scrimmage talking to players, coaches and our AD. He stayed and watched the entire game. Someone appears to be having a change of heart about transferring.
That just became the most interesting storyline of the offseason. Was he on the sideline in a jersey (as in part of the team) or just supporting the guys out there?
He was in plain clothes on the sidelines during the drills, then went into the stands with a couple of ex-Dins to watch the game. CCH runs a pretty tight ship...I doubt Reynard would have been welcome on the sidelines during drills if CCH and Staggs weren't at least entertaining the idea of him returning. Will be interesting to see how this plays out...there are only so many scholarships.
Looking back at Keeler's earlier reporting (http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/ ... tball.html), Hendrix commented that he was "going to try to find" a better fit for him. Ellis being at the spring game is not inconsistent with that statement.

There have been plenty of guys over the years that either didn't have it in them to continue playing football or did not fit at Furman for whatever reason. I wish him the best, but selfishly hope there's a way he remains with the Paladins.
 #477  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:43 am
ditto… on what MNORM said… I did a double taken - when I spotted Ellis on the sidelines.
I have no idea want this means, my take I saw a young man - that wanted to be on the field - I guess we will see.

I few things for the DINS that couldn't make the scrimmage.

Runningbacks - no Morehead - DIrks looked ready to go - Gibson seems to be getting more PT. Deon Sanders looks far more ready to go than last year - I saw him do some quick burst runs during drills - something I didn't see last season. Sanders is a vocal leader and very athletic. Devin Wynn - looked like a different player -IMO Wynn had the most impressive runs - he hit the hole fast and it took several hits before going down. Incoming freshman Dejaun Bell - hung out with the running backs - Bell looks fast when he's standing still :D

Linebackers - Voyles was on crutches :| ILB - Furman was rotating a bunch of players - primarily McKoy, Cooper and Jack Owen. Noble and McElveen also got a bunch of snaps. OLB - it looks like Adrian Hope took advantage of his redshirt year - Hope was a menace to Jemar Lincoln. On a defense that returns almost everyone - Hope is going to be an interesting piece.

On the backside of the defense - we're loaded - it was good to see Davonta Porter make some big stops - Porter brings another big body in the backfield (6-2 208).

A few other guys that were hard to miss - Saturday. Melton Brown is impressive - Matt Sochovka another 6-4 lineman got his name called several times.

Back to the offense.

The receivers were impressive - you have an All SoCon player in Gordon - match him up with Cam Burnette - they alone will give any FCS team matchup issues. Burnette just plays big. The two I guess you'd call them possession receivers - DeLuca and Armstrong - caught everything thrown their way. Teams will have to keep track of DeLuca.

We played with three tight ends… Walker (80) Vann (96) and Vaughn (47). Walker and Vann are very long and athletic - Walker had some great catches - I'm wondering if we'll see Vaughn more in blocking situations?
Thanks for the insight.

Adrian Hope is a guy I've had my eye on since we signed him. I'm excited to see what he can do in the rotation as a backfield menace. He strikes me as the type of player that can develop into one of those guys offenses consistently have to account for.

Burnette may well be our "x" factor this year on offense. I mentioned this a while back, but it has been a long time since Furman has had a receiver that boasts his size and speed. We've had big guys and fast guys, but few big and fast guys.

Melton Brown was a guy I really wanted Furman to sign last year. I'm glad to see him in the fold. Frankly, I don't know what offenses did against a high school defensive line that had both Brown and Parker Stokes.
 #486  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:37 am
Coaches said Elijah McCoy has made huge strides - they are very high on him. They also said that Jemar Lincoln is the fastest guy in the team and very poised when he drops back. Fyi-I don’t think you will see any players return that have been removed from roster.
They were initially hoping to have 50 juniors for the game. Ended up with 200. The program has gotten “hot” this year for sure.
soconjohn liked this
 #493  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:12 pm
The potential for an improved option attack coupled with the threat of Gordon and Burnette on the outside and Walker applying pressure in the middle of the field has me very excited about the potential of this offense. Gordon and Burnette are going to be a handful for any SoCon secondary.
 #555  by fufanatic
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:46 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
They were initially hoping to have 50 juniors for the game. Ended up with 200. The program has gotten “hot” this year for sure.
WOW! The rest of the SoCon has to be shaking in their boots.
 #556  by Jasper
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm
They sure should be. That was some good football team on the field on Saturday. This kid, Lincoln, threw a roll out pass going to his left on a clothes line 20 yards downfield to a sideline receiver that a pro would have been proud of.
 #557  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:21 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:46 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
WOW! The rest of the SoCon has to be shaking in their boots.
I'm a homer, admittedly, but Furman is an easy product to sell when things are going right. Other SoCon schools can offer similar things Furman can (city, academics, campus, facilities, program, etc.), but none can offer all of it.
 #558  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm
Jasper wrote:
They sure should be. That was some good football team on the field on Saturday. This kid, Lincoln, threw a roll out pass going to his left on a clothes line 20 yards downfield to a sideline receiver that a pro would have been proud of.
I think the high completion percentage from both Roberts and Lincoln in the game is a key stat line.

A QB in this offense is a protype "game manager." He has to carry the ball every now and then, but his job is to keep the train running on time. Limit mistakes, hit receivers, convert third downs, and move the chains.
 #560  by Paul C
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:57 pm
Jasper wrote:
 #562  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:57 pm
Jasper wrote:
That's a big time throw - sprinting to his off hand side and nails a 20 yard out route. Some may disagree, but a deep out route across your body is probably the toughest throw in football.

Also looks like he threads it between Darius Kearse and Davonta Porter, so not exactly two slouches in coverage either.

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by FurmanATT

Wed May 29, 2024 12:24 pm

User avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by Davemeister

Wed May 29, 2024 10:32 am

Default Avatar Playoff Changes

by gofurman

Wed May 29, 2024 4:43 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 28, 2024 1:32 am

Default Avatar And WC wins the SoCon…

by Sad Din

Mon May 27, 2024 7:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.