• Congrats 2023 Paladins

#80044  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 am
All the preseason pickers had it right! But to go undefeated (so far) except for the FBS game is something nobody else in the Socon could do this year.
And as CCH says- we have talent but on paper probably aren’t the most talented team in the conference. Which means 2 things- we are the best coached team and our players play HARD and together. Watching how they all celebrate each others big plays is really neat to see.
Hope we fans appreciate this team because this doesn’t happen very often- 33 years since last outright Socon.
So awesome job staff and players!
Victor Greene, dornb, FUwolfpacker and 5 others liked this
 #80066  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:55 am
There's no question in my mind we're the best coached team in the Southern Conference. I don't even think it's a close call.

Is there any chance CCH won't be named SoCon COY?
 #80122  by Louis Tully
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:32 pm
15 SoCons in 45 years. 1 every 3 years. Not bad. Time to ring the National Bell again.
Flagman, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #80136  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:08 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:55 am
There's no question in my mind we're the best coached team in the Southern Conference. I don't even think it's a close call.
Is there any chance CCH won't be named SoCon COY?
If FUBeAR was placing a bet on which of the 9 SoCon Head Coaches is going to receive this Award, he would put his bag down on the broad belly of Head Coach Kerwin Bell. He and the Cullowhee peeps have had their hype machine turned up to 9.5 all year. The Media likes the Kerwin Bell story - SEC (that's the 1st thing), Small town, walk-on, NFL, Father-Son Coaching Duo, and he's, um, colorful - as every SoCon Official knows.

If I'm the League Office with a new Commish - I'd go that way too. Sorry Coach Hendrix - hope you get the make-up award in '24. No doubt you deserve it, but even at FCS now...it's all about Clix and Tix ....somethin' pithy like that.
 #80219  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:41 pm
I hope our players are appropriately honored on the All-Conference Teams.

I expect TH to get screwed.
 #80223  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:29 pm
Davemeister wrote:

He will be 2nd Team behind Gonazales - not really screwed because everyone understands these days that those kinds of honors at his position go to the guys with Pretty Stats…instead of the guys that are REAL WINNERS like Tyler Huff

If they put Artopeous (SP?) or Hiers ahead of him - even though they are both solid with (maybe) better (at least bigger) stats, then that will be a Screwing. Mercer’s Peevy is more Huff-like, so FUBeAR doesn’t suspect he will be ‘in the running,’ but he also fits that “REAL WINNER” description. It’s really easy for FUBeAR to see his FU DNA shining through with the way he plays the game.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemeister, QCGlue liked this
 #80228  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:29 pm
Davemeister wrote:

He will be 2nd Team behind Gonazales - not really screwed because everyone understands these days that those kinds of honors at his position go to the guys with Pretty Stats…instead of the guys that are REAL WINNERS like Tyler Huff

If they put Artopeous (SP?) or Hiers ahead of him - even though they are both solid with (maybe) better (at least bigger) stats, then that will be a Screwing.

I just had occasion to look up Hiers' numbers.

His numbers have plummeted from this year to last, even accounting for the fact 2022 Samford played 13 games.

His passing yardage is largely on track, but he's rushed for -87 yards, thrown over twice as many interceptions and, amazingly 20 fewer touchdowns.

I think we are going to look back and realize that Samford extending Chris Hatcher was probably a mistake. Last year looks to have been a one off, and Hatcher has gone back to being the .500 coach he's been since he's been in the FCS.
 #80230  by Purple rain
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:59 pm
CCH will win that award, deserved. WCU had some letdown during the season with all that mega talent.
Furman has the trophy....which counts and means the most!
GOAT, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #80232  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:32 pm
Purple rain wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:59 pm
CCH will win that award, deserved. WCU had some letdown during the season with all that mega talent.
Furman has the trophy....which counts and means the most!
WCU also got their two toughest games at home.

Furman beating WCU, UTC, and Samford, all on the road, over a four week span is enough to give the award to Hendrix by itself.
FUBeAR, dornb, FUwolfpacker liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.