• Wofford

#80738  by Roundball
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:44 pm
Remind me. If we are not seeded, do we have to bid for a home game for the first round?
 #80739  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:46 pm
More than anything we PLAY TO THE LEVEL OF OUR OPPONENT. We do

That’s on coaches AND players. The second half we were more fired up but why should it take a shit half to motivate us

We had a 2/3 seed and perfect SoCon season etc. That’s not enough to motivate us? Then we have a friggin problem

So either 1( we aren’t that good or 2) we don’t get motivated and only show up occasionally. The latter is a recipe for disaster as today showed

I recall thinking during 6-0 ETSU ‘we are a scoop and score from losing’. And they blocked a punt ..luckily we won 16-8. PUT TEAMS AWAY DAMNIT. CRUSH THEM. Don’t pansy azz around. Come out and crush from play number one. Step on throats.

Two issues. We play to opponent. OFFENSE is not inspiring me
 #80741  by gman84
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:53 pm
The offense was not prepared to play today. It’s that simple. I try to be positive but based on what I watched today, no way that group was ready. The defense was lights out except for one play. Even with that they gave the offense short fields off of turnovers and a mid field start for our final possession. Yes this is a total team game, but we played like crap on offense all day except for one drive. Wofford made us look like clowns today, not a national contender. I know what this team can do, so quit ………. around. Just how I see it.
 #80742  by purplehorse123
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:07 pm
Is that the most costly loss ever for Furman football?

I would say NO. At least we still won the conference outright for the first time in 33 years, are still in the playoffs and have at least one home game. But costly for sure. I told my wife before I left home that if we lost, it would be one of the worst losses in Furman football history. I would say that is true.

The truth is our last really good football game was against Incarnate Word. Has this team really played a complete game? Our offense has largely struggled all season, both running and passing. NOW is the time to step up. Maybe this will be a wake-up call!
Last edited by purplehorse123 on Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #80743  by FU3
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:55 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:33 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:56 pm
Furman is good, but not great. A great team would never be in this position. I have no expectations for this team in the postseason at this point.
True. I have no expectations in the postseason either.

The amount of times you have predicted losses and been “shocked” when we won the past two seasons should have electrocuted you by now.Predict away !
 #80745  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:58 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:07 pm
Is that the most costly loss ever for Furman football?

I would say NO. At least we still won the conference outright for the first time in 33 years, are still in the playoffs and have at least one home game. But costly for sure. I told my wife before I left home that if we lost, it would be one of the worst losses in Furman football history. I would say that is true.

The truth is our last really good football game was against Incarnate Word. Has this team really played a complete game? Our offense has largely struggled all season, both running and passing. NOW aid the time to step up. Maybe this will be a wake-up call!

It's no more costly than other conference wins in seasons we've had championship caliber teams.

9-2 in back to back seasons is nothing to sneeze at.
 #80746  by purplehorse123
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:59 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:21 pm
I swear I think it was those stupid silver helmets. Get rid of all that alternate crap
and quit trying to be Oregon or worse Western KY.
Why not use all the money for all the various uniform and helmet options for scholarship money?
Bootie, Riz Dawg liked this
 #80751  by purplehorse123
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:06 pm
bj93 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:26 pm
We have scored 17 or less in 3 of last 4 games.
Because our offense is bad.

Huff can turn pass plays into great running plays. Sometimes he is not very accurate passing.

Carson Jones cannot get first downs with his feet when our receivers are covered.

At least 3-4 plays today we gave ourselves NO CHANCE to get a first down when we need like 8 yards and pass the ball 2 yards. That is poor coaching to me.

We also need to get plays in quicker when the clock is running.

Just an overall horrific offensive performance.
bj93 liked this
 #80754  by tim
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:16 pm
Dropped passes have been hurting this team for several games especially on a day when the young QB struggled.
 #80755  by FurmAlum
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:23 pm
Since almost everybody is bitching and moaning. Why does the OL coach not ever change it up when things aren't going well? EJ Smith and B. Hundley were on the bench all day. They have both seen extensive playing time. Hundley was a starter 2 weeks ago. The only sub I saw in there was R. Lamb for a while. FUBear you might want to weigh in on this.
 #80759  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:36 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Since almost everybody is bitching and moaning. Why does the OL coach not ever change it up when things aren't going well? EJ Smith and B. Hundley were on the bench all day. They have both seen extensive playing time. Hundley was a starter 2 weeks ago. The only sub I saw in there was R. Lamb for a while. FUBear you might want to weigh in on this.
I think that sort of minimizes the problem.

Wofford's safety was firing to whatever side we were running to. It's a numbers game. You could have the greatest offensive line of all time, and at the end of the day, the Terriers had more guys than we had to block.

The way to combat that is to get the play action passing game going and punish them for committing so many defenders to the run - we tried and just couldn't throw and catch today.

The offense was working, we just couldn't execute it.
 #80760  by gman84
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:36 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I think that sort of minimizes the problem.

Wofford's safety was firing to whatever side we were running to. It's a numbers game. You could have the greatest offensive line of all time, and at the end of the day, the Terriers had more guys than we had to block.

The way to combat that is to get the play action passing game going and punish them for committing so many defenders to the run - we tried and just couldn't throw and catch today.

The offense was working, we just couldn't execute it.
Yes and no….many of our passes were taking waaaaaay too long to develop. Jones was a sitting duck.
 #80770  by Affirm
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:40 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:55 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:33 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:56 pm
Furman is good, but not great. A great team would never be in this position. I have no expectations for this team in the postseason at this point.
True. I have no expectations in the postseason either.

The amount of times you have predicted losses and been “shocked” when we won the past two seasons should have electrocuted you by now.Predict away !
Well, I am telling you now, I have not been electrocuted.
Since you want me to Predict away, here you go:
Furman will not three playoff games.
If they win one, I will be surprised.
If they win two, I will be highly surprised.
If they win three, I will be shocked but not electrocuted.
In any case, I have learned (re-learned actually) that Furman football is not anything to take seriously, at least not in terms of wins and losses. I had been fooled once again. Yes, shame on me.
 #80777  by Thorny
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:58 pm
Let me first say that this has been the best regular season of Furman football I have ever had the opportunity to enjoy as a fan. Today's loss takes nothing from that.

It's kind of weird. If there is a position group that under performed expectations all season it was the offensive line which is odd because Hendrix is an offensive minded coach whose primary background is the OLine. If I had to guess about a position group struggling, under performing, or not living up to expectations at the beginning of the season I would have not guessed the veteran unit with an all American and position group that CH has a long history of coaching.

CH came to Furman as an offensive minded coach, with a smash mouth oline pedigree, and he brought in arguably an offensive heavy coaching staff. Thus, obviously, Furman became one of the biggest defensive powers in the FCS.

And it's not just CH. Drew Cronic was an offensive coaching wiz who now is also coaching a team with an anemic offense and one of the best defenses in the SoCon. Quarles also has an offensive background though ETSU seems pretty questionable on both sides of the ball.

So, what is the problem? Have the Athletic directors of the Southern Conference conspired together that no coach with a Furman pedigree have success on the offensive side of the ball? It's not just a CH or Furman thing. Apparently, anyone who touches the Diamond F will be forever cursed to have anemic offenses regardless of who they are coaching for.

Had Furman been able to force the issue by running it between the tackles we would have won. Instead we had to rely on a freshman QB's ability to sling it through the air.

Not the best game for Carson but he has a lot of upside and I am excited about what he will be able to do in the games to come with another spring practice and more time for the coaches to figure out how to build around him.
Victor Greene, MNORM liked this
 #80778  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:59 pm
When I saw everything went wrong for Furman, this is part of what I'm talking about.

Furman gets a strip sack, Gilby runs over to pick up an almost stopped football. The only Wofford players in the zip code are offensive linemen. Right before Gilby picks up the ball to run it into the end zone, Dimaggio pounces and covers it up.

After everything that went wrong today, we could very well have been Dimaggio's nonstop motor from winning the game.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

User avatar Fred Norman Jr in the portal

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 pm

User avatar NFL DRAFT

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.